PDA

View Full Version : The Smoking Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

made_in_canada
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Wine is good for you. I refuse to believe anything else!

PRlady
07-11-2012, 01:27 AM
But by now I've pretty much quit everything else that's supposed to be unhealthy so now there's nothing else left to quit but the &@#! cigarettes... but it's hard. (Mind you, the one thing other than nicotine that almost all cigarettes contain is.... added sugar. Really. So while I won't eat the stuff, I'll still smoke my sugary cigarettes without thinking, how's that for crazy?)

We all bargain with fate. I work out five times a week, eat healthily (although still with some sugar, I keep lowering the amount over time), drink about one glass of wine a week and haven't touched illegal drugs in 35 years. That leaves the cigarettes. When those are gone, and they will be damn it, what will I have left to convince myself I'm not a good girl?

(My fatalism tells me that I will then get hit by a truck and not even when I'm jay-walking.)

snoopy
07-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Just have more (protected) sex.

20 years ago who would have thought sex is less dangerous than sugar.

manhn
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
If I live to be 100, I will never, EVER understand folks who bitch and whine about second-hand cigarette smoke yet drive and drive and fricking DRIVE hulking steel vehicles that spew out far more toxic, more damaging fumes.

Well, in Vancouver, we are installing bike lanes, passing laws against idling, removing viaducts, putting tolls on bridges, taxing gas, encouraging transit use--all making it harder to drive. Some people believe there is a war on drivers. So, some people are complaining about both.

BlueRidge
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, in Vancouver, we are installing bike lanes, passing laws against idling, removing viaducts, putting tolls on bridges, taxing gas, encouraging transit use--all making it harder to drive. Some people believe there is a war on drivers. So, some people are complaining about both.

Yup, I just saw a reference in the Washington Post to people being tired of being "stigmatized" for driving, just because people advocate making this a "walkable" city.

Alex Forrest
07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Well, thank you, Louis for the exemption. ;) (I've avoided this thread for as long as I could.) And no, lung cancer is not 100% guaranteed, my 95-year-old aunt died of something else after a lifetime of more than a pack a day, my 89-year-old aunt looks to be going the same way. I guess if people lived to be 150 your theory might be accurate.

PRLady and I have been trying to quit ever since we've met. I still laugh when we were at some competition and it was horrifically freezing outside, yet there we were, two smokers enjoying a smoke outside and freezing our *sses off.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not drinking myself to death anymore, and if I want to smoke ten cigs a day, then I'm on the right track. It's annoying to see people who are SOOOO judgmental about smokers. We have a sisterhood/brotherhood, us smokers. My best friend takes three or four Xanax EVERY night, and drinks. He asked me "Could I die from mixing the Xanax with vodka?". Um, yeah, that's how it happens. Not a difficult concept. But I light up a cig outside and he lectures me on how I am killing myself. Who's right?

In an ideal world there is no Xanax, alcohol, cigarettes, whatever. But if there wasn't that group of people to sniff at and judge, I suppose we'd be back in the days where you stoned a women for showing her shins in public. MYOGDB.

Holley Calmes
07-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Ooooo Xanax. I had a friend once-she's dead now-who went to a lot of AA and Narc Anonymous meetings. Xanax is really lethal. My friend had a friend who died taking Xanax...he was taking 20+ xanax a day and tried to cold turkey the stuff. It will kill you if you do that. It killed him-he had a heart attack. What I want to know is..how do you stay awake taking even 2 Xanax within 12 hours? I take them to fly, and I can't imagine functioning on a day to day basis taking them at all. Guess it's just my body chem.

Hydrocodone and oxy will make you feel like you're dying when you cold turkey, but you won't die-just feel awful, so they say. I haven't had that experience. Xanax will flipping kill you dead.

Scary. I'm glad I don't like Xanax. I can handle about 2 or 3 hydrocodon 500's a day for my back, but I've never been able to understand how anyone (like Rush Limbaugh) can take 80 Oxycodones day. I would pass out and puke after 4 of them.

Seriously, I am very thankful to have lower level hydrocodone for my back. I can hardly stand up straight in the moring-I am in a lot of pain every day. Thank God I have these few pills, and I have absolutely no desire for more, or stronger.But believe me-they make a difference in whether I can function normally or not. I've been trough Physical Therapy, acupuncture, and the whole enchilada. Nothing helps much, and these pills don't help totally. But they do help. They are in no way recreational or "fun."

Japanfan
07-12-2012, 05:21 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I'm not drinking myself to death anymore, and if I want to smoke ten cigs a day, then I'm on the right track. It's annoying to see people who are SOOOO judgmental about smokers.

Oh, I know, the harsh judgments are totally palpable. The horrified responses I've received in the past from merely 'confessing' that I smoked to actually lighting up outside at a distance from the person - put it this way, I would expect a similar response if I said I was an axe murderer.

And I remember an ex-friend who was very judgmental of my smoking telling me about a friend of hers who wouldn't invite "that kind of people" (smokers) to a party.

BlueRidge
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
The judgementalness, basically social ostracism, has played a role in convincing people to stick with the effort to quit.

Good job.

Besides, regardless of health issues, smoke is obnoxious. People hate it. I'm outside in a thunder storm the other night hovering over my drain to keep it from being stuffed with leaves and therefore clog and flood my kitchen. My upstairs neighbor comes out on his deck and smokes a cigarette. You think I wanted to smell the smoke at that point?

Really, cigarette smoke is obnoxious and there's no reason anyone should be nice about it.

Louis
07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
The judgementalness, basically social ostracism, has played a role in convincing people to stick with the effort to quit.

OMG, another issue where we agree. :lol:

Even though I have two outdoor spaces, I ask guests to smoke out front (three to five flights of stairs down). A few guests at parties have gotten so angry that they've left. So be it. Sweets is less strict about smoking, and we have a couple of burn marks/stains on the deck to show for it. :mad:

In NYC, I can't tell you the amount of people who throw cigarettes out their apartment windows. My building has one apartment with a set-back terrace and another with a yard that are both littered with cigarette butts because idiots in neighboring apartments chuck their cigarette butts without regard.

In my co-op, we have a silent pact not to allow smokers in the building. We ask in board interviews if anyone smokes. If so, DENIED. There's one existing smoker in the building, so we cannot ban smoking until that person quits, moves, or dies from lung cancer - though I hope not, but smokers are not a protected class and we can ban them from our building. More and more apartment buildings are going smoke-free, and there have been big lawsuits brought against apartment buildings that allow smoking. Often the owners are faced with a choice of (a) a smoking ban, or (b) millions of dollars in upgrades to the ventilation system. I think big cities can lead the way in eradicating smoking.

My employer has gone smoke-free, too. All smoking shelters have been removed, and you need to walk 25 feet from the edge of the property to smoke. On some of the suburban campuses, this means a five-plus minute drive in your car before you can light up. There's no way workers can sneak a smoke break now aside from the breaks to which all employees are entitled. (:cheer: :cheer2: for fairness). And, at last, smokers have to pony up more for their health insurance.

AndyWarhol
07-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Poor old smokers!

skateboy
07-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Really, cigarette smoke is obnoxious and there's no reason anyone should be nice about it.
Listening to a screaming, crying baby for several hours on an airplane is obnoxious. Should anyone be nice about it?

Sorry, I know it's not the same thing. But, as a smoker who is trying very hard to stop, I can say that I do my best not to smoke near others who don't.

If you were to say to me, "hey, that cigarette smoke really bothers me--would you mind putting it out or taking it somewhere else?"--I would accommodate you in a second.

If you simply chose not to "be nice" to me, I would probably be not so nice back to you.

allezfred
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Oh, I know, the harsh judgments are totally palpable. The horrified responses I've received in the past from merely 'confessing' that I smoked to actually lighting up outside at a distance from the person

You probably thought you were at a distance, but guess what? Smoke travels. Further than you think. Used to be a smoker myself and it's not something you really appreciate until you quit.

Japanfan
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
More and more apartment buildings are going smoke-free, and there have been big lawsuits brought against apartment buildings that allow smoking.
My employer has gone smoke-free, too. All smoking shelters have been removed, and you need to walk 25 feet from the edge of the property to smoke.

Meanwhile, you could have an axe murderer or pedophile next door or in the next cubicle. But all is good, just so long as they are a non-smoking axe murderer or pedophile, all is good. . .unless of course you find yourself at the wrong side of the axe . . .:)

Japanfan
07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
You probably thought you were at a distance, but guess what? Smoke travels. Further than you think. Used to be a smoker myself and it's not something you really appreciate until you quit.

Oh please, enough is enough is enough.

There is nothing else in the air you breathe to get upset about?

Why don't you just go dance in the middle of a smoke-free street full of traffic and exhaust fumes, and sing Hallaluja?

And next, isn't there a need for a crusade against third-hand smoke? For example, if your significant other happens to have a friend who smokes, and the smoker hugged that person, and then he/she hugged/kissed you, you'd be victim to third hand smoke. The stats on that are yet accumulating, but rumor is, third hand smoke kills.