PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble opening PDFs in websites

Aussie Willy
07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Hope someone can help.

I am unable to open PDFs using internet explorer. Doesn't do it on all websites (I can open the communications from the ISU website), but basically it just shuts my explorer down.

I installed the latest version of Adobe Reader, shut down and restarted but it is still doing the same thing.

I also did a google search on the problem but all the suggestions offered I did look at, checked and it is still doing the same thing.

Anyone able to help?

Wyliefan
07-08-2012, 03:20 AM
I've had some trouble with Explorer lately myself. Could you try a different browser? Firefox and Chrome have been good ones for me.

l'etoile
07-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Usually that kind of problem is resolved when I check the latest version of the program but your case seems more complicated:(

Prancer
07-08-2012, 03:46 AM
When did you last update Adobe Reader?

Aussie Willy
07-08-2012, 09:27 AM
When did you last update Adobe Reader?I did it today but still had problems.

Have just download Mozilla and it is now working perfectly.

briancoogaert
07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
It doesn't shoot my explorer down. But I have the same problem here in France, with Mozilla. I can't open some .pdf from the internet, I have to download it before opening.

Anyway, good for you if it works now :)

jenlyon60
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I've had this issue with IE8 and just about any of the recent versions of Adobe Acrobat. Not sure where the problem lies.

A semi-work around is to open the file in a new window (not a new tab). That way when it barfs after closing, it won't abort your main browser session.

Artemis@BC
07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I've experienced this too a few times recently, and I have the full Acrobat pro.

The easiest workaround I've found, though, is to right-click and save the .PDF, instead of left-click to open within IE. Then open the file separately from your hard drive. Works every time, and only takes a couple of seconds longer. Plus of course you have the file permanently if you want it.

Aussie Willy
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Not sure if this is the right thing to say, but it is always nice to know I am not the only affected by these things. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope they can help others with the same problem as well.

Simone411
07-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I got rid of Adobe Reader about 4 years ago. A friend of mine told me about Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/) and I've used it ever since. It's smaller in size (35.8 MB) and it opens pdf files much faster than Adobe. I've found that it works well with IE8 whether the pdf file is opened or saved.