PDA

View Full Version : USA Gymnastics - Cheers and Tears

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

A.H.Black
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I notice the Gymnastics Trials thread has maxed out and is closed. I'm sure someone will start a thread for the whole gymnastics competition. This thread is for those interested mostly in the USA team.

GO USA!

I have been thinking about the alternates. Since 2000 at least one alternate has been named to the team following injury to another team member. In 2008 there were several. I wonder if the selection process changes will help with the injuries. Any thoughts?

bek
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Ross and Maroney trained together for years makes sense they'd be close. Apparently they started out in gymnastics together at 6 years old. There's a video here http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/soly/29855565#soly/29855565 of Maroney tearing up talking about her and Ross making the team together.. So sweet.

london_calling
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
They didn't name any alternates to the team in 2008. They still needed Chellsie's UB score and Samantha Peszek was injured right before qualifications were about to begin.

A.H.Black
07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
They didn't name any alternates to the team in 2008. They still needed Chellsie's UB score and Samantha Peszek was injured right before qualifications were about to begin.

You're speaking of only the women's team. I'm not. This is gymnastics - not just women's gymnastics.

Spareoom
07-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Yes they did...ivana hong was one and I'm blanking on the others. But there were definitely alternates. Now, they didn't end up using any, but they did have them.

SpeedySucks
07-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes they did...ivana hong was one and I'm blanking on the others. But there were definitely alternates. Now, they didn't end up using any, but they did have them.

Corrie Lothrop and Jana Bieger were the other alternates.

london_calling
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Ur..what? I was talking about them replacing athletes on the team. That's why I was referencing injuries.

A.H.Black
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I'll ask again. Can we please remember there is a men's side to this too.

Scintillation
07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Wasn't David Durante the only alternate not used in 2008? I'll have to look it up. I felt so bad for him when he was watching the team win bronze and sobbing in the stands. What a sweet beefcake of a guy.
Sorry, every time David Durante comes to mind my brain immediately starts screaming "BEEFCAKE!!!" :swoon:

I just think it's funny, these girls have a little pow wow that the cameras catch and people assume they're taking a Gabby voodoo doll and stomping it on the ground.

vesperholly
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I'll ask again. Can we please remember there is a men's side to this too.

Your original post mentioned the women. Fair to assume that people will focus on that. Specify MAG or WAG before getting your leotard in a twist. :P

A.H.Black
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Your original post mentioned the women. Fair to assume that people will focus on that. Specify MAG or WAG before getting your leotard in a twist. :P

You're right. I removed the reference. I really do realize that the majority of the discussion will be about the women but the men's situation with the alternates in 2008 was pretty interesting.

ilovesalchows
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I just think it's funny, these girls have a little pow wow that the cameras catch and people assume they're taking a Gabby voodoo doll and stomping it on the ground.

Right, because they don't want to win team gold :lol:

Scintillation
07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Team gold? Overrated. Let's make Gabby feel left out instead.

gingercrush
07-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I don't know aren't the women off to Marth's ranch. That is bound to cause troubles. In fairness the Russians are looking a whole lot more wrecked than the Americans. Being selected onto the US team hasn't been half the trouble it has previous years and thus I think they'll be fine.

HeatherC
07-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Someone please put both the US men's and women's Olympic gymnastics in bubble wrap and keep them safe until they have to compete in London! These two teams are made up of almost all my favorite gymnasts in this quad and I VERY BADLY want to see all of them do well this year. Bubble wrap, a room away from everyone else, a padded van that can't be wrecked to ride around in once they're in London, only specially prepared food so they don't get sick.....yeah, I'm a little paranoid right now, LOL :lol:

Go USA!!! :cheer2: