PDA

View Full Version : 7 or 14 Men and Their Skating Skills (A Remake)

Pages : 1 [2]

Zemgirl
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
In fact, skaters with better skating skills are more prone to fall/stumble on their step sequences because they’re doing more difficult step sequences. Patrick, Carolina, and Daisuke have all fallen/stumbled on their step sequences, and they did not even have ankle sprain injuries when they fell. Patrick has fallen on his step sequences more than many skaters with weak skating skills; even Javier did not fall as many times as Patrick did. But Javier has never executed any level 4 step sequences, while we can see how many level 4 step sequences Patrick has done—the level of risk increases with the level of difficulty.
Wrong (http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/wc10_Men_FS_Scores.pdf). And Javi stayed upright, or as upright as one can considering the upper body movement requirement for level 4 steps. However, I do feel he has gotten some questionable PCS this past season (maybe to make up for past undermarking?), and that his skating skills are probably the weakest of any of the guys Laura named.

I don't think difficulty is the only explanation for some skaters' falls; after all, the more difficult step sequences are supposedly within their abilities, just as the upper level for other skaters may be a level 3 - which would presumably be just as difficult for them. Sometimes skaters just get sloppy, or lose concentration. Some more than others.

Somewhat OT, I looked here (http://www.figureskatingonline.info/statistics.php) and it looks like the following singles skaters have received level 4s in international competition:
Ladies - Carolina Kostner (first, best scored), Akiko Suzuki, Mao Asada, Rachael Flatt, Alena Leonova, Viktoria Helgesson, Vanessa Lam, Martina Bocek, Alexandra Deeva and Polina Korobeynikova (three of them at the same event, last year's JGP in Brisbane).
Men - Daisuke Takahashi (first), Patrick Chan, Evan Lysacek, Stephane Lambiel (apparently highest internationally, for a serpentine step sequence!), Takahiko Kozuka, Jeremy Abbott, Jeffrey Buttle, Jason Brown, Denis Ten, Artur Gachinski, Yuzuru Hanyu, Javier Fernandez, Tomas Verner and Evgeni Plushenko.

Make of that what you will...

flipforsynchro
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm feel like Yuzuru fell on his steps because he caught an edge, not because of a sprain or whatever.
And Michal Brezina has also gotten a Lvl4 step sequence in intl. competition.

doctor
07-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Wrong. And Javi stayed upright, or as upright as one can considering the upper body movement requirement for level 4 steps. However, I do feel he has gotten some questionable PCS this past season (maybe to make up for past undermarking?), and that his skating skills are probably the weakest of any of the guys Laura named.

I don't think difficulty is the only explanation for some skaters' falls; after all, the more difficult step sequences are supposedly within their abilities, just as the upper level for other skaters may be a level 3 - which would presumably be just as difficult for them. Sometimes skaters just get sloppy, or lose concentration. Some more than others.

Somewhat OT, I looked here and it looks like the following singles skaters have received level 4s in international competition:
Ladies - Carolina Kostner (first, best scored), Akiko Suzuki, Mao Asada, Rachael Flatt, Alena Leonova, Viktoria Helgesson, Vanessa Lam, Martina Bocek, Alexandra Deeva and Polina Korobeynikova (three of them at the same event, last year's JGP in Brisbane).
Men - Daisuke Takahashi (first), Patrick Chan, Evan Lysacek, Stephane Lambiel (apparently highest internationally, for a serpentine step sequence!), Takahiko Kozuka, Jeremy Abbott, Jeffrey Buttle, Jason Brown, Denis Ten, Artur Gachinski, Yuzuru Hanyu, Javier Fernandez, Tomas Verner and Evgeni Plushenko.

Make of that what you will...
Oops, my bad! I didn’t pay attention to Javier until last season, and I’ve never seen him executing any level 4 step sequences while Patrick received a bunch of level 4s. I didn’t know Javier did a level 4 step sequence at 2010 Worlds. Thanks for pointing this out. Is that the only time he successfully executed a level 4 step sequence?

Also thanks for the list of level-4 skaters. However, I don’t think some skaters who have received level 4s only once or twice in their career—Javier, Korobeynikova, etc. should belong in the same league as Patrick, Carolina, and others who have received level 4s several times in one season. I just hope Javier and Korobeynikova will improve since they’re still very young.

I'm feel like Yuzuru fell on his steps because he caught an edge, not because of a sprain or whatever.
And Michal Brezina has also gotten a Lvl4 step sequence in intl. competition.
That fall had to do with Hanyu’s ankle sprain. He sprained his right ankle before the comp, and when he skated he tried to protect his right foot and as a result overused his left foot. He fell while he was on his left leg, which was exhausted at that moment. Anyway I just don’t think that fall is a good example of someone is thin so s/he needs ab workout…

And yes, I’ve also seen Brezina skating live. He has deeper edges than Javier. He also has better ice coverage.