PDA

View Full Version : Profile: Oksana Baiul

Pages : 1 [2]

nyrak
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I wish she would have competed. Even if she never won anything again or just got a few more silver/bronzes, it would have been fulfilling to watch.

Does anyone know the reason why she turned pro? Was it to make money? Did it have anything to do with her "personal problems" - or did that come after she started to make money?

As I remember it, she turned pro to make some money (remember Victor Petrenko was buying her skates & stuff, she was living with her coach...). The original plan was to skate pro for a year, then come back. Not sure why she didn't exactly - injury? money? I wish she had.

TwizzlerS
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
At the time she "turned pro", you couldn't come back to skate in "amateur" competition. Brian Boitano fought long and hard for the rule change that allowed "pros" to reinstate their "amateur" status. I thought I remember that Oksana was interested in reinstating but that she missed the original deadline or something like that.

sadya
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
From what I've heard in interviews and what I've read, it's unclear. Various different reasons are given. Perhaps it's a mix of different reasons.

Do I remember well about her trying to get permission to take part in another Olympics? 1998 or 2002? Didn't she say in later years that she was pushed by people around her to turn pro and she later regretted that decision?

There were also stories about her injury which she couldn't rest long enough due to pro skating she had to do which ruined her jumps for ever, and growth problems which changed her body. So many reasons and stories. I have no idea what exactly is the reason for her turning pro.

I do feel sorry for her, she had many problems, in her case it's understandable what happened with her life, I'm not saying it was right, but it is understandable in someone in her situation.

People I met all over internet from the year 2000 on have told me many true and untrue stories about various skaters throughout the years. Me being a simple Pakistani born and raised in Holland, far away from the skating world, believed many stories those people told me, later most things they had said turned out to be untrue.

I have nothing to do with the figure skating world at all, I just love to watch the skating and learn more about skaters and coaches and choreographers who grab my interest with their work, whatever little I do know about figure skating, I learnt by watching a lot of skating and reading books about it, documentaries helped a lot too. That's it. So if I have a misunderstanding about skating or a skater, please don't mind. I stand corrected whenever someone points out a (real) mistake. :)

TwizzlerS
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
I think you're correct, Sadya. It was probably 1998 or 2002 Olympics that I recall hearing about how she wanted to return.

One point I was trying to make in my original post was that she could not have had plan to skate pro, make money, and return to amateur skating. That was not an option at the time.

Taso
07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
I think you're correct, Sadya. It was probably 1998 or 2002 Olympics that I recall hearing about how she wanted to return.

One point I was trying to make in my original post was that she could not have had plan to skate pro, make money, and return to amateur skating. That was not an option at the time.

Are you talking about when Oksana went pro in 1994? Because it was permissible to reinstate until the fall of 1995 - both Josee Chouinard and Midori Ito did, and Usova & Zhulin considered it but turned the option down.

leafygreens
07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Does anybody know what the rules are, today, about what makes you an amateur or a pro? Because it seems these days, there's little difference. You can be amateur and have a multi-million endorsement contract. I know that USFS skaters can only do "sanctioned" events, but other than that I don't know anything. I feel sorry for skaters of yore who could not have endorsement contracts. It's no different than having a job.

berthesghost
07-16-2012, 11:39 PM
^the ISU determines if you are eligible or not, based on ISU sanctioned vs non-sanctioned events. I believe the IOC follows the ISU determinations. That's why there was a whole todo about Plushy a few years back. He lost his ISU eligibility by skating in a non sanctioned event, but the RUssian federation protested and were successful in getting the ruling overturned.

SkateBlades17
07-17-2012, 01:33 AM
I was just watching an old tape of Peggy Flemming's Ice Stories with Oksana last night and she said (this was before the cut off on April 1st 1995) that she for sure wanted to go back am and compete at the 98 Olympics. She acted very confident in that decision. I really wish she would have! I've heard that Galina wanted her to stay pro and in an interview from the 95 Worlds, where was had announced that she was staying pro, she mentioned that it's too hard and something about it being hard for Galina, which is funny though because Galina still coaches am skaters. If she had gone back to am though, with the way her jumping already was when she was skating pro (possibly due to knee injury), I think she would have done horrible against Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Irina Slutskya, etc., considering she could never really do a combination jump and Tara was doing triple loop, triple loop & Irina & Michelle were doing combo jumps.*

blue_idealist
07-17-2012, 03:52 AM
I was just watching an old tape of Peggy Flemming's Ice Stories with Oksana last night and she said (this was before the cut off on April 1st 1995) that she for sure wanted to go back am and compete at the 98 Olympics. She acted very confident in that decision. I really wish she would have! I've heard that Galina wanted her to stay pro and in an interview from the 95 Worlds, where was had announced that she was staying pro, she mentioned that it's too hard and something about it being hard for Galina, which is funny though because Galina still coaches am skaters. If she had gone back to am though, with the way her jumping already was when she was skating pro (possibly due to knee injury), I think she would have done horrible against Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Irina Slutskya, etc., considering she could never really do a combination jump and Tara was doing triple loop, triple loop & Irina & Michelle were doing combo jumps.*

Yeah, I think she would have been bronze AT BEST in 1998, and I doubt that would have even happened.

jenniferlyon
07-17-2012, 06:58 AM

At the time, there was a rumor that Oksana was planning to reinstate before the deadline and even had the paperwork prepared, but Galina vetoed the decision.

leafygreens
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I think she would have been bronze AT BEST in 1998, and I doubt that would have even happened.

A bronze still counts for something! Would have loved to see her try, anyway.

sadya
07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
We probably would have seen more competitive programs with better choreography and even that would have been enough for people to respect her more and love her skating. Some of my favorite skating programs ever are from the early days of Baiul.

To be honest, I don't like many of her later programs, I enjoyed the earlier Baiul more. For me, no skater could match the elegance and artistry and emotion on ice of the early Baiul, not even Cohen or Ruh or Czisny or you name whoever. The later Baiul however is a different story.

leafygreens
07-20-2012, 05:11 PM
I also wish she would have stayed in longer and gotten "more respect." Her competitive record is so similar to Lipinski's and I wish they both would have stayed and given us "more". I really like Oksana but I'm still torn on who should have won in 1994. There wouldn't be talk about her being the "weakest" OGM if she had gone on to do something else.

Of course, it doesn't really matter what armchair critics think. A gold medal is a gold medal. However, it's kind of weird that she really only had one senior LP, ever (repeated from 1993). She just came and went like a thief in the night. Her WC win is often over looked, as well. I don't know if an athlete has won their first time out. Oksana was definitely unique.

Cherub721
07-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Of course, it doesn't really matter what armchair critics think. A gold medal is a gold medal. However, it's kind of weird that she really only had one senior LP, ever (repeated from 1993). She just came and went like a thief in the night. Her WC win is often over looked, as well. I don't know if an athlete has won their first time out. Oksana was definitely unique.

You can't knock a 100% successful record at Olympics/Worlds. :D

sadya
07-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I think both programs were gold worthy in '94 Olympics lp, they both had something which would have made a great Olympic program, I even wouldn't have minded if Chen won that competition.