PDA

View Full Version : Remake of Steel Magnolias

taf2002
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Lifetime has remade one of my favorite movies & it looks like it's going to be really good. Here's the trailer: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/first-look-check-trailer-lifetimes-steel-magnolias-remake-203700167.html?_esi=1

I usually despise remakes but this looks really fun. It doesn't hurt that they used some of my favorite actresses - Queen Latifa as M'Lynn, Phylisha Rashad as Clairee, Alfre Woodard as Ouiser. The only one I wasn't that impressed with was the one who is playing the Dolly Parton role - Jill Scott. After Dolly she seems kind of bland. Phylisha Rashad's daughter is playing the Shelby role...she is a very pretty girl. I'm actually looking forward to this.

skatesindreams
07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I hope they can do the original justice; but, it's hard to imagine that.

Cyn
07-04-2012, 11:26 PM
No no no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :drama: :mad:

Some movies should never, ever, be remade, and Steel Magnolias is one of them.

michiruwater
07-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Why fix something that isn't broken?

TheGirlCanSkate
07-04-2012, 11:51 PM
My first instinct was NO! But the clip looked cute.

victoriajh
07-05-2012, 12:13 AM

THIS!!!
i loved this movie- i worked in a theartre when it came out and we used to stand with tissues at the door when it broke i STILL cry at the scene with my'lyn at the cemetary!! sally field was excellent- as was the whole cast actually-

i think i will pass and just re-watch the old one!!

centerstage01
07-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Queen Latifah as M'Lynn? I don't see that AT ALL. The others I can get behind (well, Jill Scott is pushing it) but QL doesn't have the acting chops to pull that role off. Sorry.

skatemomaz
07-05-2012, 01:40 AM

Why fix something that isn't broken?

^^this. Plus it's being made by Lifetime, nuff said.

AliasJohnDoe
07-05-2012, 05:53 AM
I would rather a well made TV series than a remake of the movie. "Steel Magnolias" stands on its own as a great movie. An updated TV series based loosely on the movie might have made better sense IMO.

Wyliefan
07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I'll probably check it out. Maybe it's weird, but if a movie is based on another work, like a book or a play (which Steel Magnolias was), I don't usually mind remakes as much.

(With the exception of the long-talked-about remake of My Fair Lady, which I sincerely hope has died a merciful death.)

I can't help thinking that Queen Latifah would have been better as Truvy, though.

Fergus
07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I can't help thinking that Queen Latifah would have been better as Truvy, though.

ITA! :)

I think Loretta Devine would be great as M'lynn.

taf2002
07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I think Octavia Spencer would have been great as Truvy. But Alfre Woodard as Ouiser is perfect.

Wiery
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Great cast, though! I"ll have to watch it!

essence_of_soy
07-06-2012, 01:02 AM
When I read that Phylisha Rashad was in this, I'm wondering if she has a hand in producing. I recall a few years ago that she was Big Momma in a Broadway revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.