PDA

View Full Version : When is a celebrity entitled to be left alone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

WindSpirit
07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Given the solemnity and righteousness applied to the discussion regarding the nerve of people asking for an autograph from Cate Blanchette at a park suggests to me that my "hyperbole" is not that far reaching a description. You seem to be taking it rather personally. Why?

Just like a person is well within their rights to ask for an autograph. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they're not. That's the whole point of this discussion.

No need for people to get all huffy for having asked. You gave an example of a waitress asking you for an advice. You didn't see a big deal. Do you have 50 people asking you every day? Everywhere you go? During your dinner, when you're on the phone, when you're rushing, when you're playing with your kids, etc. You really wouldn't mind? And even if you wouldn't, trust me not everyone feels the same way.

numbers123
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
You gave an example of a waitress asking you for an advice. You didn't see a big deal. Do you have 50 people asking you every day? Everywhere you go? During your dinner, when you're on the phone, when you're rushing, when you're playing with your kids, etc. You really wouldn't mind? And even if you wouldn't, trust me not everyone feels the same way.

I think Whoppi Goldberg once got an autograph request in the bathroom - someone slipped a piece of paper until the stall door. She said she wasn't certain that they would want what she might sign it with. :lol:

milanessa
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
And my *waitress* asked me for tax advice at 2010 Canadians. I told her she should see an accountant but I answered some other questions. I and some other FSU'ers got free drinks out of it. Big whup.

:confused: How did she know you were someone to ask for tax advice? And why waitress in quotes?

michiruwater
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I think she was using ** as a form of italics without actually using italics. Like, stressing the word. Why I don't know.

milanessa
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I think she was using ** as a form of italics without actually using italics. Like, stressing the word. Why I don't know.

Boy is my eyesight getting bad! :lol: Thanks.

Aussie Willy
07-09-2012, 11:00 PM
They were upset that she did not accommodate them. No kidnapping of children necessary. Just your standard, run-of-the-mill upset.
Yes I was quite surprised that people then made comments about because she is a "star" that she should have done photos with them and just sucked it up (this was all in response to the person on Facebook who initially commented about being refused a photo). She also visited another tourist attraction a couple of days later where she also refused photos (again posted on the same Facebook discussion by person who knew someone who worked there).

The more I read the snarky comments posted by people I know on Facebook about the whole Cate thing, the more I was glad she didn't do photos. I ended up posting something telling people to cut her some slack which ended up stopping the discussion.

Gazpacho
07-10-2012, 03:41 AM
My actor friends here in NY tell me they like living in or visiting NY, because here, celebrities are very common - even out in the suburbs. So they don't get hassled in quite the same way they do outside of this area (I can't speak for LA - perhaps it's similar there?) Here, they say people less often interrupt them when they're doing what I'd call "normal life stuff", and when they are interrupted, it's often done politely - someone asking if they can have a photo, rather than demanding one, for example.I've personally seen three major public figures on the subways in the NYC and not a single person hound them the whole ride. There was whispering and some pointing and staring, including by me, but no one asked anything of them.