PDA

View Full Version : When is a celebrity entitled to be left alone?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

CDANN1013
07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
All celebrities deserve their privacy.

Unless they have ever heard the word "Scientololgy" in their lifetimes. Then all bets are off. :P

I would leave any star alone to respect their privacy including John Travolta ( who I have liked since the 70s) and Tom Cruise.

Carol

Latte
07-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I would leave any star alone to respect their privacy including John Travolta ( who I have liked since the 70s) and Tom Cruise.

Carol

I know we gossip about them, but, that is just here. I don't even talk about them in my real life.
If they are not "On Stage" as it were, they are intitled to complete privacy IMO.
I hope Alex Baldwin smacks a few more of those vultures.

milanessa
07-04-2012, 11:32 PM
I winked at Alexei Yagudin once when I was leaving the elevator. I'm pretty sure that's the most intrusive I've ever been. :lol:

Aussie Willy
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Unless they have ever heard the word "Scientololgy" in their lifetimes. Then all bets are off. :P
:lol:

Reuven
07-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Growing up in Western CT, there were a lot of celebs in the area; Arthur Miller, Bette Davis, Victor Borge, Marilyn monroe, etc. And we treated them all as regular people, that's why they liked the area.

Holley Calmes
07-05-2012, 03:21 AM
I winked at Alexei Yagudin once when I was leaving the elevator. I'm pretty sure that's the most intrusive I've ever been. :lol:

I would wink at Alexei regardless of the situation or if I even hoped he'd see me!

WindSpirit
07-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Asking for an autograph or a photograph from a celeb in a non-work environment is hardly the rudest thing a person has ever done. The celeb has a right to decline, but I don't have a problem if the "fan" ends up thinking she sucks. That's sad. Imagine for a moment you'd have numerous people asking your for an autograph at every moment of your life. Would you like it? Would go along with it? Being interrupted everywhere, no matter what were you doing? At a restaurant in the middle of a dinner, on a date, at a party, walking down the street, at a doctor's, shopping, at a beach, everywhere. I'm sure it'd get old very soon. And tiresome and finally annoying.

manhn
07-05-2012, 05:10 AM
If people were polite, I have no problem with it. I'd rather be asked for an autograph than be winked at, to be honest.

essence_of_soy
07-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Unless it's say, the 2011 European Ladies Champion, Sarah Meier, who was at the Icehouse recently (whilst in Australia for a week studying), I'd say no. Sarah was happy to have a group photo taken with some of the kids at the rink, which was nice.

An indicator is that the actress was with her children doing a family activity, not promoting her latest film. Several local tv stars swim at my local pool from time to time. But I'm happy to say, people do give them their privacy.

Movie stars are usually very cautious about having photos of their children taken (even if their kids aren't the primary focus)

Unfortunately, even though it has nothing to do with their job, interest in a star's private life comes with the territory. We only have to look at our fascination with skaters and what they do away from the ice.

overedge
07-05-2012, 05:51 AM
If people were polite, I have no problem with it. I'd rather be asked for an autograph than be winked at, to be honest.

I agree, but even if people are polite, it can be tiring and intrusive to be asked over and over again to sign, to say hi to someone's friend on the phone, etc. etc. And often people aren't polite - they will ask e.g. when the celeb is trying to eat dinner, or do something else like catch a plane, get in a cab, or whatever.

manhn
07-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Okay, so impolite people suck. Especially for celebrities!

made_in_canada
07-05-2012, 06:17 AM
I would wink at Alexei regardless of the situation or if I even hoped he'd see me!

I subtly took a picture of his ass once but it was a post show meet and greet so that's okay, right ;)

If celebrities are with their kids or appear busy at all I wouldn't approach them.

Japanfan
07-05-2012, 07:26 AM
In theory, yes. But you can't turn public attention on and off when it suits you to do so. I'm not saying this is the way things should be in an ideal world, but if you spend most of your professional life posing in front of cameras at events you have no professional reason to be at, and if you use the publicity machine to spew out irrelevant news about yourself (e.g. where you shop, who you went to a club with) - then you shouldn't be surprised if people won't leave you alone when you want to be.

Having said that, Cate Blanchett is definitely not one of the stars who is a publicity ho, and if she is asking people nicely to leave her alone, they should respect that.

I agree with this. Celebrities who are publicity hounds and court celebrity status should expect to be under scrutiny at all times. Paparazzi make a lot of money off of them, and give that wealth is a big component of celebrity, play a fundamental role in celebrity's life.

milanessa
07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

:lol: I promise I'll never wink at you.

Skittl1321
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Unless it's say, the 2011 European Ladies Champion, Sarah Meier, who was at the Icehouse recently (whilst in Australia for a week studying), I'd say no. Sarah was happy to have a group photo taken with some of the kids at the rink, which was nice.

Using skaters as an example, it is common to ask famous skaters for autographs and pictures at rinks, however, never while they are skating- that would be rude.

For an actress, I would say if she was actively participating in the activity with her kids, it would be rude to interrupt. If it was "down time", you could ask politely, but if she wasn't doing publicity work, it wouldn't be rude for her to (politely) say no. However, part of the job description of "high paid actress" is celebrity, and celebrity comes with the expectation of being available to the public. If you are only acting for the art, and not the money and fame, there are plenty of low paying playhouses that will have you.