PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions re: I Need A Car Now!

Pages : [1] 2

Cachoo
07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Okay---Yesterday I'm driving home and BAM ---this guy turns right in front of me. I didn't even have time to try to hit the brakes before my car crumpled, windshield shattered and airbags (passenger too!) deployed. RIP to my 1998 Honda Civic EX and I am upset about it because I took care of that little car and it took care of me. It never gave me a lick of trouble. I was determined to keep it for another 100,000 miles at least. Ok so that is not going to happen now.

Here's the quandry--I won't get a lot of money from his insurance company for the car. I'm not employed as I am taking care of my mother and she (God bless her) is going to help with the new car as I am her primary mode of transportation. I took a long time to find the car that I wanted when I purchased the Civic. It had 11,000 highway miles when I bought it and it was a fantastic deal imho.

I don't have time to look for another "fantastic deal." I need to come up with a car this weekend. Since I'm wary about buying used without a lot of time and research do you think I should lease a new car? I feel like --for these special circumstances--this might be the best way to go. Do you agree?

my little pony
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
your experience with your honda was very good, why not get another one?

Garden Kitty
07-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Can you get a "rent a wreck" for a couple weeks so you don't feel pressured to get a new car before you're ready?

Alixana
07-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Yes, why not get another Honda? But a pre-2006 model according to my brother-in-law the Honda mechanic. My 2003 is going strong!

Aimless
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
A toyota corolla is also very dependable and similar. My 2003 is going strong. Just hit 100K, never a problem (knocking wood)

Cachoo
07-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Can you get a "rent a wreck" for a couple weeks so you don't feel pressured to get a new car before you're ready?

I have a rental now (w/ Sirius ) to my delight. I know a relative used the rent-a-wreck dealer in Philly. I've not found one here. It is interesting that no one feels that excited about leasing and advises to go with what I know. I will still check leasing out but also look at Honda first and then Toyota and a friend suggested Hyundai (later models.)

Thank you for your suggestions. I am more optimistic now.

FigureSpins
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
You should put yourself on the dealers' email lists, so you can find out when they're having sales/specials. We just bought a older used car that was never advertised publicly by the dealership. We bought it for our daughter, who needed to get her first car, fast but was on a bare-bones budget. It needed some work, but we were able to get that done near her home at the AAA repair shop, which gave her a place to go for future maintenance. DH loves the old-man car, so I'm sure that after she saves up enough for her own car, he'll take it back. He's already calling it a "classic car" and planning what shows he'll attend with it, lol.

I have not purchased from the high-end used car lots like CarMaxx, but four or five people I know found them to be excellent. They sell late-model cars for a good price with a guarantee. My BIL doesn't like them because the facility is "too fancy" and has high overhead. He thinks you get a better deal at the mom&pop places, but that guarantee is worth the extra money, imo. We looked at CarMaxx cars a few times and were very impressed, but they didn't have anything that fit DD's budget.

If you had started looking late last month, you could have made a good deal with a car dealership because it was the end of the quarter and sales have been slow. Still, car prices start to drop in July/August as the new model year cars are brought in. You might be able to get a 2012 leftover at a discount if you take your time looking around. You can ask the sales reps if there are any special promotions coming up - we got a terrific deal on DH's van that way.

Someone I know bought from AAA and liked the experience. It's all done remotely and they arrange for pickup/delivery. IMO, I don't think they got a fantastic $$$ deal, but they were relocating, so it was convenient for them to make the arrangements in advance. It helped that they knew exactly what car they wanted.

FigureSpins
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
DH has Sirius and I have XM. He has a special subscription (extra fee) that lets him listen to the stations over his iPhone. When my subscription was ending, I was going to cancel my in-car service and switch to the internet-based one, but XM offered me a deep discount when I said I wanted to cancel. We'll see what happens when the special deal expires. There are times when I want to keep listening after I get out of the car, so I wouldn't mind connecting my cell phone to the radio's in jack. I'd probably listen less, though.

Meredith
07-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Hope you were not injured, Cachoo.

I've been driving Hondas since 1993 and have been really pleased with them. I bought my most recent Civic (a 2006 EX, which I love) from CarMaxx after my first 2006 Civic was totaled. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was right after the "Cash for Clunkers" program ended and there was no new Civic to be had anywhere.

I may not buy a new car again.

Really
07-04-2012, 01:03 AM
We have a 2007 Civic and a 2009 Accord. Neither has given us any trouble at all. Consumer Reports didn't like the 2012 Civics, but the 2007 to 2011s had pretty decent reviews.

Cachoo
07-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Thank you everyone: It really does seem that ownership is the preference. FigureSpins--I had not thought of checking online and placing my email with the dealers. Thank you. We also have a CarMaxx less than a mile away. What I'm learning is I have more time and choices than I realize if I just prepare a little bit. And about Sirius---I keep taking the long way home so I can listen to the Springsteen/E Street channel.

I think I will put Honda in a first among equals position and then make sure I look at a few others too.

kwanfan1818
07-04-2012, 01:32 AM
I found a deal on my Civic hybrid on the dealer's site.

I've been seeing a ton of car ads trying to unload this year's models ASAP, and it should be a good time to find either a new car or a trade-in.

berthesghost
07-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Thank you everyone: It really does seem that ownership is the preference.your preference? Or are you assuming it is most people's, since everyone thus far seems to have ignored your lease question? I'm confused.

Anywho... If you're short on cash at the moment, leasing is cheaper up front than buying. Buying only makes sense when you take excellent care of the car and drive it into the ground over a decade, like you did with your last one. But buying a new car is $$$ for the first few years, then no payments later if the car lasts. Leasing is less money per month, but then you have no free car to drive after the first 3-5 years. If you're short on cash, you'll have to get a used car, which is different than a lease, which is always new. That's one of the reasons some people lease. Every 3 years they get a new car and never have to drive a clunker or out of style model. it sounds like you were perfectly happy driving a used car that was 14 years old, so leasing probably isn't your bag.

Anita18
07-04-2012, 09:50 AM
your preference? Or are you assuming it is most people's, since everyone thus far seems to have ignored your lease question? I'm confused.

Anywho... If you're short on cash at the moment, leasing is cheaper up front than buying. Buying only makes sense when you take excellent care of the car and drive it into the ground over a decade, like you did with your last one. But buying a new car is $$$ for the first few years, then no payments later if the car lasts. Leasing is less money per month, but then you have no free car to drive after the first 3-5 years. If you're short on cash, you'll have to get a used car, which is different than a lease, which is always new. That's one of the reasons some people lease. Every 3 years they get a new car and never have to drive a clunker or out of style model. it sounds like you were perfectly happy driving a used car that was 14 years old, so leasing probably isn't your bag.
FWIW, the only person I know who leases is my rich uncle who likes to trade in his leased BMW with another BMW. :P I think buying makes the most sense, especially if you don't have a lot of time to properly research used cars and if you're going to drive it into the ground over a decade.

expo86
07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I leased a new 1999 Toyota Corolla for 4 years and when the lease expired, I chose not to purchase it. Instead I bought a used 1990 Toyota Camry which finally gave up the ghost late last fall at age 22! Barely any trouble for the 8 years I owned it.

I was self-employed at the time I leased the Corolla so I could write off a portion of it for (Canadian) tax purposes, which was definitely an incentive to lease. I probably would not have leased it otherwise. I am definitely not rich!:rofl: