PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #19 New Beginnings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

martyross
09-06-2012, 06:09 PM
i agree with the suggestion on fanforum that the early leak about Carmen might have been planned. along with all the little hints here and there. remember Pj Kwong posting 'they confirmed one rumor'. it is a weird way to handle a music announcement, especially coming from T and S. it would be actually weird for everyone.
if its true, it has been a clever and careful 'strategy'. it also shows, perhaps, that people who work in FS world pays attention to the reactions/opinions posted on boards. it must be a little part of what we call PR.

aka_gerbil
09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Or this..:cheer2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M57Fi19vcSI

I'm still not thrilled about Carmen, but that piece of SD music is just nothing short of stunningly beautiful. IMO, it sort of has a haunting quality to it, and even after just listening to it once, I'm in love with it. I can't wait to see the program.

I hope iTunes has this because it's going on the iPod now.

Rafter
09-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Will wait until I see this program to judge but I am not thrilled. I am not so disappointed either except C/L doing this music too is a big bummer. Especially since at the big competitions they would skate first.
But we will see. Really wish they took a risk this year though. Hopefully they will save it for the OLYs. I think that they will need it.

I actually think they are taking a risk this year by skating to Carmen.

I'm not thrilled with the choice, but I'm sure I'll like it better than Funny Face. It'll at least be interesting to see them doing something more dramatic.

I love the SD music. It's absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see it.

chantilly
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I actually think they are taking a risk this year by skating to Carmen.

I'm not thrilled with the choice, but I'm sure I'll like it better than Funny Face. It'll at least be interesting to see them doing something more dramatic.

I love the SD music. It's absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see it.

Curious as to why you think it is a risk. Is it because the music is overused? Although it hasn't been used in the last decade. Or something else. Agree I think I will also like it better than FF.
The OD music confuses me. How are the teams allowed to use waltz music in the Yankee Polka. But it is beautiful.

bmcg
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I think if you listen to the full piece of music for the SD (6 minutes in length) you can hear the parts that can be played with and used for the polka section. I was dreading the upcoming polka season but this piece is beautiful and might come across as a nice break admidst all the perk.

aka_gerbil
09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Curious as to why you think it is a risk. Is it because the music is overused? Although it hasn't been used in the last decade. Or something else. Agree I think I will also like it better than FF.
The OD music confuses me. How are the teams allowed to use waltz music in the Yankee Polka. But it is beautiful.

Just within ice dance, the last time a big name team used it was N/K in 05/06, which was less than a decade ago. :P

Teams are allowed to combine a waltz or march with the polka.

I think if you listen to the full piece of music for the SD (6 minutes in length) you can hear the parts that can be played with and used for the polka section. I was dreading the upcoming polka season but this piece is beautiful and might come across as a nice break admidst all the perk.

I'm terrible with music timing and beat, but I also thought there were some parts in there that would definitely work for the polka.

I think I'm more excited to see this SD than any other program out of all 4 disciplines this year.

Cherub721
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Curious as to why you think it is a risk. Is it because the music is overused? Although it hasn't been used in the last decade. Or something else.

IMO it can be risky to take on a classic because you're being compared to all the great programs that came before you. If you're a top lady skating to Carmen, you're going to be compared to Katarina Witt and that is a hard legacy to live up to (same for Moonlight Sonata or Rach 2 for pairs skaters, Bolero for ice dancers, etc). If you're a new junior on the scene, Carmen is not risky since no one expects you to do anything amazing. Carmen is easy to express musically, which is why it's so overused, but that makes it extremely difficult to come up with a fresh, memorable take on it. K&O were the last ice dancers to do this, but their Carmen is not universally loved (I for one hated it). N&K's was considered generic. I guess you have to go back to B&B in the 80s to find a well-regarded Carmen FD.

V&M being Olympic champions are expected to do something great. People are resistant to the dance already. In order to appease the majority of the audience, they are going to have to come up with something that is so good and different that it tops all other Carmens, and that's a huge challenge and a big risk.

So basically I would say it's easy to do a mediocre to good Carmen, but very difficult to do a truly great one.

Pratfall
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Cherub721.. I'm in complete agreement with your post ..right down to disliking K/O's Carmen ..( much too much face , among other problems ).

I know Tessa and Scott are capable of making this the definitive Carmen for years to come , if Marina is at the top of her game.

Do we know yet if they're using the suite, or excerpts from the opera ?

aka_gerbil
09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Going back to the SD music, I can't find an mp3 version for purchase in the US, so I'm going to have to order the CD. Anyway, the piece was just released last year, so it's pretty likely that no one else has ever skated to it before.

I guess that's the theme for the year: something never skated to before, something skated to more than anything else...

pani
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I must say - i love this waltz. Cant wait to see, what T-S will made with this music.
And Hopkins is such a talanted person. :kickass:
Cant wait to read, what PJ are thinking about there Carmen version.

Cherub721
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Going back to the SD music, I can't find an mp3 version for purchase in the US, so I'm going to have order the CD. Anyway, the piece was just released last year, so it's pretty likely that no one else has ever skated to this piece before.

It is interesting how Marina can sometimes dig up these little gems (2009 OD, 2011 SD, 2013 SD) and yet so often relies on overused pieces or tripe for some of her teams.

aka_gerbil
09-06-2012, 07:56 PM
It is interesting how Marina can sometimes dig up these little gems (2009 OD, 2011 SD, 2013 SD) and yet so often relies on overused pieces or tripe for some of her teams.

It really is interesting, isn't it? She can come up with some truly unique pieces of music at times, but at others, she relies on the more overused music.

chantilly
09-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Just within ice dance, the last time a big name team used it was N/K in 05/06, which was less than a decade ago. :P

Teams are allowed to combine a waltz or march with the polka.

I'm terrible with music timing and beat, but I also thought there were some parts in there that would definitely work for the polka.

I think I'm more excited to see this SD than any other program out of all 4 disciplines this year.

Really? Wow don't remember it. But I wasn't watching as much then. But I was never a big N and K fan. Thought they were over-rated.

Yeah the waltz music can be used as well as polka and march. As they weren't thrilled with the choice of the SD I am not surprised they didn't pick polka music and march doesn't seem there style.

Agree with rafter that Carmen is a risky choice for the reasons he stated. I think they will be awesome doing it. We'll see. Eager to hear about D and W.

sap5
09-06-2012, 07:59 PM
It really is interesting, isn't it? She can come up with some truly unique pieces of music at times, but at others, she relies on the more overused music.

How do we know Marina found the SD music?

pani
09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
How do we know Marina found the SD music?

Marina found Mahler, waltz from 2010 SD. PF...
I think 2009 SD was found by Tessa.

From PY tweet

1 more cool fact: w/out knowing it legendary coaches MJ Stong and E Tchaikovskaia gave same Hopkins Waltz idea to M Zueva for V/M#cbcskates