PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #19 New Beginnings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

iggie
07-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Bournekraatzfan, i have no idea who makes their costumes. i remember someone tried to ask tessa where she had her olympic fd dress made and she kept it vague. if you or anyone could find some info, i'd certainly reach out. it's worth a try.

HSGP21, i did try to contact img about an interview with tessa and scott, but i didn't really get anywhere.

sap5
07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Bournekraatzfan, i have no idea who makes their costumes. i remember someone tried to ask tessa where she had her olympic fd dress made and she kept it vague. if you or anyone could find some info, i'd certainly reach out. it's worth a try.

They are made by Stephanie Miller and Luanne Williams, in Michigan. http://www.theticker.tc/story/costume-designer-to-the-stars-on-ice

Subway
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
i'm ready to bet that "Carmen" was a joke.
btw I don't really find Krylova over-the-top in that magnificent program. as a matter of fact a below-the-top Carmen doesn't even exist. it's in her nature of instinctual, demonic creature.
i wish all the darn Carmens of figure skating looked more like that, instead of the silly cliché of the hot gipsy woman or the macho torero.
For Bizet just used these figures to convey a more universal meaning on human nature, and i'm happy to sense this while watching Krylova and Ovsiannikov.

Over the top is by my definition not instinctual. IOW, a lot of mugging. I think Krylova was guilty of that much of the time.

iggie
07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
They are made by Stephanie Miller and Luanne Williams, in Michigan. http://www.theticker.tc/story/costume-designer-to-the-stars-on-ice

thanks. i've been googling, but i can't find an email address for her or a website. i have enough material to do a post on costume designers, but i don't know about an interview at this point. it does seem like she is meryl's costume designer, but did tessa's fd mahler dress for the olympics. i don't know if she's the one who did funny face or hip hip. so there might be other costume designers.

DORISPULASKI
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I didn't know Stephanie Miller did Tessa's costumes, too. She has done Merryl Davis's costumes since Meryl was 9.

She is a local Michigan person.

Here's an interview

http://www.theticker.tc/story/costume-designer-to-the-stars-on-ice

Sonata
07-25-2012, 12:56 AM
I thought ITessa Virtue's costumes were made by someone in Niagara-on-the-Lake? Virtue Keeping Dress Top Secret (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/News/2010/02/16/12906801-qmi.html)

sap5
07-25-2012, 03:48 AM
I thought ITessa Virtue's costumes were made by someone in Niagara-on-the-Lake? Virtue Keeping Dress Top Secret (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/News/2010/02/16/12906801-qmi.html)

At the bottom of the Stephanie Miller article (http://www.theticker.tc/story/costume-designer-to-the-stars-on-ice):

One of Miller’s most memorable experiences as a skating costume designer: the 2010 Winter Olympics when her and Williams’ creations were decorated with gold and silver medals.

It sounds like the Niagara-on-the-Lake dress was another white dress that was not used during the Olympics.

Bournekraatzfan
07-26-2012, 04:42 AM
BKFan, I am planning to go Sunday August 19th if you want to meet.
Any other fans want to plan a fan get together on that date?

That would be great! I will see if I can make it down to Toronto for that show.

... I just think that this era has lagged behind in terms of creativity. I feel the new system has hurt the sport in that sense.

I think I know what you mean. And I have read a few choreographers discussing how the technical requirements suppress creativity.

i'm ready to bet that "Carmen" was a joke.
btw I don't really find Krylova over-the-top in that magnificent program. as a matter of fact a below-the-top Carmen doesn't even exist. it's in her nature of instinctual, demonic creature.
i wish all the darn Carmens of figure skating looked more like that, instead of the silly cliché of the hot gipsy woman or the macho torero.
For Bizet just used these figures to convey a more universal meaning on human nature, and i'm happy to sense this while watching Krylova and Ovsiannikov.

interesting perspective. I agree with your assessment.

also, thank you sap5 for the info on Tessa's costumes. I knew Stephanie did Meryl's dresses, but I didn't know she had worked with Tessa.

iggie
07-26-2012, 05:45 AM
the new era has hurt creativity? can you post some creative routines from years past for me to see? in part, i want to see if "creativity" is not just a neutral way of saying "voidy", "theatrical", or "over the top".

anyway, i tend to take the idea from nigel on sytycd, which is that there is a way to blend prescribed steps, architecture, what must happen with artistry and poetry. just because there are more expectations for what needs to be done in a routine doesn't mean that the beauty necessarily is lost.

regarding the ex, i will think about that date.

lauravvv
07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
the new era has hurt creativity? can you post some creative routines from years past for me to see? in part, i want to see if "creativity" is not just a neutral way of saying "voidy", "theatrical", or "over the top".Apparently voidy and theatrical is bad for you, but clearly not for many people here. And "over the top" - it too depends on how one views it. What for one is over the top, for another is dramatic and expressive, and sometimes over the top is more interesting than blank and "under the top" (;)) (and with that I don't want to say that Tessa and Scott have ever been blank). I have no time to go looking for links now, but probably I'll post some another time.

walei
07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't think Iggie is implying that it's bad, but just doesn't mean it's more creative.

Voidy, over the top, and theatrical are styles, and to someone that means dramatic and expressive, but IMO it still doesn't mean creatively it's more superior than the current era.

iggie
07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
thanks walei.

i'm also just curious to see some great ice dancing. i just saw k/o's tango and carmen, and i enjoyed them.

sap5
07-26-2012, 03:01 PM
The new era of the SD has been a creative bust so far. Last year, almost all the top teams combined the rhumba with a samba, to the same music! What happened to the other allowable rhythms of merengue, cha cha, and mambo? And surely there are other pieces of music besides Batucadas, La Vida Es Un Carnival, and Mujer Latina.

Macassar88
07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
The new era of the SD has been a creative bust so far. Last year, almost all the top teams combined the rhumba with a samba, to the same music! What happened to the other allowable rhythms of merengue, cha cha, and mambo? And surely there are other pieces of music besides Batucadas, La Vida Es Un Carnival, and Mujer Latina.

Yeah there is
There's hip hip chin chin and Mas que nada
Lol

Macassar88
07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
thanks walei.

i'm also just curious to see some great ice dancing. i just saw k/o's tango and carmen, and i enjoyed them.

Do you want a list? If so, I can message you a list of all my favorite dances.