PDA

View Full Version : Archiving shows in HD (off DVR) - possible?

Lara
07-03-2012, 03:28 AM
I have a DVD recorder that's served me well. Unfortunately what it can't do is record shows in HD. I have two seasons worth of NBC skating/gym broadcasts on my DVR, and will probably need to lose it all to make space for the Olympics.

Is there any way to transfer these shows *and* keep the HD quality? I'd have thought blu-ray recording could be a reality by now, but seems not. My only hope would probably be via computer, but it'd only be worth the hassle/cost if the picture was very close to the original. Otherwise I might as well stick to DVD.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Debbie S
07-03-2012, 04:46 AM
There is equipment out there (I think they are called PVR's - personal video recorders) that can record in HD, but most just work with camcorders and not cable boxes. In order to transfer HD, you need a firewire port or at least a USB port. The problem (as I learned when I looked into the same thing) is that cable companies usually disable the firewire and USB ports on the DVR box. Pretty much the only thing that works is the component connections, which would be the cables that connect to a VCR or DVD recorder, which can't transmit HD quality. Cable companies want to make sure they are the only game in town for HD content on TV.

If you want to preserve shows you taped with your DVR, you'll need to use regular DVD recording. That's what I did to transfer the broadcasts from Nats this year. But the picture quality is about what you'd expect from DVD recording. :(

A.H.Black
07-03-2012, 05:03 AM
I have a DVD recorder that's served me well. Unfortunately what it can't do is record shows in HD. I have two seasons worth of NBC skating/gym broadcasts on my DVR, and will probably need to lose it all to make space for the Olympics.

Is there any way to transfer these shows *and* keep the HD quality? I'd have thought blu-ray recording could be a reality by now, but seems not. My only hope would probably be via computer, but it'd only be worth the hassle/cost if the picture was very close to the original. Otherwise I might as well stick to DVD.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Check into an external Hard drive for your DVR. You will need at least 2 TB. I think you can store your recordings in HD. What I don't think you can do (yet) is record them on a DVD in HD. At least I'm not aware of readily available HD recording equipment.