PDA

View Full Version : Yuna Kim announces her comeback to competitive skating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

RumbleFish
07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
There is no place for arrogance in professional sports. :soapbox:

Says who? There are plenty of arrogance in sports, we are talking about young champions with multi-million dollar contracts and sponsorships.
Personally, I don't mind straight-forward arrogance and diva-like behavior. It's entertaining.

Sylvia
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty sure PeterG's post was written tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Opinion piece about Yu-na's announcement: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2012/07/164_114441.html

Wall Street Journal blog article: http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/07/03/south-korean-figure-skater-yu-na-targets-russia-olympic-gold/

RIA Novosti Russian article in English: http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120702/174365317.html

Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/02/olympics-southkorea-kim-idUSL3E8I24X420120702

Associated Press news blurb: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/skating-champion-kim-yu-na-073449714--spt.html

alilou
07-04-2012, 06:54 PM
If you read an opinion you don't agree with, saying that is fine. Insulting the poster isn't necessarily the most effective counter-argument.
You're absolutely right. I was unpardonably snarky. I don't know what got into me :P

Says who? There are plenty of arrogance in sports, we are talking about young champions with multi-million dollar contracts and sponsorships.
Personally, I don't mind straight-forward arrogance and diva-like behavior. It's entertaining.
So many people don't get PeterG's humour :(

ks1227
07-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Personally I feel that it would be worse if she pulled an arrogant big stunt. If that happens, I must say that I WILL GO OFF ON HER.
:lol: :lol:

RumbleFish
07-04-2012, 07:13 PM
So many people don't get PeterG's humour :(

my bad. :slinkaway

lakewood
07-05-2012, 01:55 AM
I can see someone thinking it "arrogant" that she go to worlds in 2011 without any competitions under her belt and the chance to get feed back under judges. I personally don't think it was conscious arrogance, but it certain imo was a big mistake.
I wonder if this announcement is premature and was made to counter the recent bad publicity.

Non-sense. This is her life-changing decision. The bad-publicity you mentioned has usually a few weeks lifetime.

lakewood
07-05-2012, 02:05 AM
That's not so recent.

I think the poster was referring to the recent kerfluffle about her university degree and how much actual time had been put into it. And that was very public in Korea.

It wasn't a big issue because it is not only YuNa but hundreds of National Team level athletes in all kinds of sports have the same problem.

PeterG
07-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I love you peoples.

That is all.

:D

RunnersHigh
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Yuna's Heart by Dong A Ilbo

http://news.donga.com/3/all/20120703/47507302/1

As a scholar studying sports for a while, I'd witnessed there's less regret when sports stars selected what moved their heart instead of head at the moment they had to make an important decision in life. Therefore, I wondered whether it’s her own decision or not. By any chance, was this done by her mother? Wasn’t there a calculation to merchandize Yuna the longer? Was this why she wanted to be a member of IOC Athletes’ Commission? - I heard that before. In a word, I wanted to know the truth of her heart.

Just in hours after the press conference, I took the call from an acquaintance who has been well in with Yuna. Baldly I asked him whether the decision was from only Yuna by herself or not? He answered “It’s all from Yuna by herself.” According to him, “Pressure to repeat the past success” and “The loss of the goal", Yuna said, were totally the truth of her heart. Couldn’t deny there’s temptation to retire but Watching young skaters training in poor surroundings with all their soul and might to retain in Figure Skating in Korea motivated Yuna. It was the prime mover of Yuna’s comeback. Listening what he told over the telephone, without nothing damaged I could feel the burden and responsibility Yuna might feel. And I felt sorry.

One might think it’s a simple extension of her skating career and the second attempt at the Olympics. But from the point of view of an individual life, it will be a process of creating “Whole New Yuna”. Another success to approve herself doesn’t mean anything to Yuna who won the Gold Medal in Vancouver, the summit of Mt. Everest of Figure Skating. If she fails to win at the next challenge, it would be incredibly disappointing. But she treaded the thorny path.

RunnersHigh
07-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I love you peoples.

That is all.

:D

So do I. :swoon:

bardtoob
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh, a comeback that starts with a press conference . . . never a good sign.

jatale
07-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Ridiculous. Yuna for eligibility reasons etc. has to make clear her intention to compete again. Now if Yuna wasn't one of most famous and popular skaters on the planet, maybe she could have gotten away with just a statement. But in reality, all that would do is bring a STORM of world press people to her door and following her everywhere in order to get more info and face time. In her circumstances, a press conference was her ONLY choice to try and limit the intrusions into her life following this news.

johnny158
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Are you some kind of Idiot? Then What is your opinion? Tell me.

Don't be mean, or elusive. Just tell your high opinion.

johnny158
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Stop stabbing someone's back in the shade. Just tell your opinions. I don't think you are sharp or smart. always thought you are a stupid snob.

Lilith11
07-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Stop stabbing someone's back in the shade. Just tell your opinions. I don't think you are sharp or smart. always thought you are a stupid snob.

Are you some kind of Idiot? Then What is your opinion? Tell me.

Don't be mean, or elusive. Just tell your high opinion.

These insults are unwarranted and furthermore, rude and unnecessary on your part. Please desist.