PDA

View Full Version : Yuna Kim announces her comeback to competitive skating

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

TripleWallie
07-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Yuna said she will work with Wilson.
Though no detail on coaches
And she will compete at nationals and at 2013 Worlds.

Nationals? Are you sure? Seems odd...she should do an ISU competition like 4CC in front of ISU judges, not Korean nationals. :confused:

ETA: Never mind, I see you added "4CC or a senior B".

brilliant9
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
OMG what an exciting news!!!

No details on coaches, training location, choreographer or programs yet.
She said she'd go with David Wilson as always. Not sure about coaches.

idee123
07-02-2012, 08:26 AM
deleted

RumbleFish
07-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Yuna said she will work with Wilson.
Though no detail on coaches
And she will compete at nationals and at 2013 Worlds.
Plus another one competition(maybe 4cc or a senior B) That's what she said.

Skating at Nationals and Worlds would be good enough for this year IMO.

I wonder what kind of influence her recent get together with Kwan had on this sudden announcenet.
Kwan might have said something like "Forget about the GPs, and just skate at Nationals and Worlds. Practice at my rink if you need a facility." :lol:

Having her at the Nationals would be wonderful for up and coming skaters. They will finally get a chance to compete in front of a large home crowd. I imagine that the Korean fed would make lots of money with ticket sales and sponsorships as well.

RunnersHigh
07-02-2012, 08:38 AM
N/M

TripleWallie
07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Skating at Nationals and Worlds would be good enough for this year IMO.

I wonder what kind of influence her recent get together with Kwan had on the sudden announcenet.
Kwan might have said something like "Forget about the GPs, and just skate at Nationals and Worlds. Practice at my rink if you need a facility." :lol:

Having her at the Nationals would be wonderful for up and coming skaters. They will finally get a chance to compete in front of a large home crowd. I imagine that the Korean fed would make lots of money with ticket sales and sponsorships as well.

Her decision did come rather soon after Michelle visited her! Was it Michelle who really influenced her to make up her mind? I wouldn't be surprised.

AndyWarhol
07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
I think that if there is anything to be learned from recent comeback attempts, she needs to start training and competing asap. leaving it to the last minute never seems to serve anyone well.

spiral9509
07-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Yuna Kim told that she would compete at competitions in Korea and an International B senior competition before Worlds.

Here is the schedule of ISU B senior competitions after November 1st.

Nov. 6~11 Icechallenge 2012 (Austria)
Nov. 15~18 Warsaw Cup (Poland)
Nov. 16~18 15th Merano Cup(Italy)
Dec. 5~9 NRW Trophy (Germany)
Dec. 13~16 Golden Spin of Zargeb (Croatia)
Dec. 18~22 Istanbul Cup (Turkey)
Jan. 3~5 1st New Year Cup (Slovakia)
Jan. 8~12 6th Europa Cup "Skate Helena" (Serbia)
Jan. 10~13 Volvo Open Cup (Latvia)
Feb. 7~10 Barvarian Open (Germany)
Feb. 7~10 Dragon Trophy & Trivoli Cup (Slovakia)
Feb. 14~17 Hellmut Siebt Memorial (Austria)
Feb. 21~24 1st Citta di Trorino Trophy (Italy)
Feb. 21~24 Challenge Cup 2013 (Netherland)

Nov. Korean Ranking Competition
Early Jan. Korean Nationals
Mar. 10~17 2013 Worlds Canada Ontario London

Keftiu
07-02-2012, 09:05 AM
WOW :eek: So when is the first competition???

I'm not sure, but the korean national competition will be held in January, 2013.
I think this might be the first competition for her.
And I can't wait until that time :)

spiral9509
07-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure, but the korean national competition will be held in January, 2013.
I think this might be the first competition for her.
And I can't wait until that time :)

I think it will.

2012 Korean Nationals were held in Jan. 6~8.

RumbleFish
07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Her decision did come rather soon after Michelle visited her! Was it Michelle who really influenced her to make up her mind? I wouldn't be surprised.

While maintaining her friendship with Michelle, I would start to mingle with Katti Witt If I were in Yuna Kim's shoes.

Katti Witt knows all about winning consecutive olympics. She had her 2nd OGM in the bag even before she took to the ice in Calgary. Like Witt in 1988, Yuna Kim in 2014 won't be as good as her past technically, so it will be an effective strategy to psych out competitors and have them fall. :lol:

RunnersHigh
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Q&As after the interview (http://sports.media.daum.net/general/news/moresports/breaking/view.html?newsid=20120702153826453)

Some rough translation.

A reporter: Who are the coaches.
Yuna: Not decided yet. It was last week I made a decision to compete again. As of now, David Wilson is my choreographer.

A reporter: What is the physical condition of you?
Yuna: I don't know how long will it take to make a condition of last Olympics. Not in a good shape at all both physically and psychologically. I have to start training right now. There're just less than 6 months remaining. Though I didn't stop training. To take my stamina and athletic performance back, I will train.

A reporter: Where would you compete? Can you break your own records in Vancouver?
Yuna: I couldn't take part in GP series cuz I skipped whole last season. Even I could have chance to take part in, I wouldn't because I'm not ready yet. I'll take part in a international competition when I'm in a good shape. And the records were accomplished when I was in my best ever condition. It must be impossible for me to raise the bar higher. And I already emptied my mind on the result. I will only do my best in competitions.

A reporter: What was the reaction after you made a decision?
Yuna: Almost no one knew this. Even skaters training with me didn't know.

brina
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
I love Yu-na's skating and am excited to hear this!

gingercrush
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Post 2013 worlds I think she should do at least one GP event if not both and hopefully (or presumably) make the GPF final. I think its smart she does an international competition before worlds.

In terms of jumps I can imagine she will have them all back bar perhaps a triple-triple, though a triple toe-triple toe isn't out of the question. I wouldn't put it past her to have the Triple Lutz-Triple Toe back by Olympics either. She has good if not excellent jump technique. Much easier to be back to quality when you already have great technique. I don't envision getting her spins level back will be too difficult nor whatever requirements are needed for footwork etc.

puretea
07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Figure skater Kim Yu-na to return to competition,
retire after Sochi Olympics

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2012/07/02/18/0702000000AEN20120702008600315F.HTML