PDA

View Full Version : Yuna Kim announces her comeback to competitive skating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

magnolia
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
To explain myself more fully, because it was being suggested on this thread that Yuna did not need a jump coach from abroad and could just rely on her Korean coaches for good technique coaching, I, in turn, suggested that this did not seem a good idea.

The reasons I gave for this opinion was that I did not think that Yuna's toe jump technique (which I had understood had been taught to her by her Korean coaches) had never (as in never ever, not just this year but even during Olympics) been 'textbook' (and I gave Elizaveta's toe jumps as an example of what I thought was truly a 'textbook' technique), and that she probably would need to make some technical amendments. Of course, this is not to say that Brian didn't try to make minor amendments with Yuna's toe jumps, but if one compares how Yuna jumped in Korea with Yuna's toe jumps after Canada, there is not such a significant difference (particularly the toe pick).

I also gave my opinion, that of all the jumps, Yuna's axel technique was indeed probably 'textbook', as 1. her axel-jumps had looked okay at ATS Show, and 2. I had read on figure skating boards numerous times that Brian Orser had in fact worked with Yuna on her axel, that Yuna and her mother had gone to Brian because they knew he was Mr. Axel and they at that time were still trying to see if Yuna could do a triple-axel. This is not such a bad thing to say, is it? To say that I think that Yuna's axel-technique is perfect?

All in all, I think all I was saying was that I did not think that Yuna could just practice on her own only with Korean coaches to become competitive again.

riveredge
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM
To explain myself more fully, because it was being suggested on this thread that Yuna did not need a jump coach from abroad and could just rely on her Korean coaches for good technique coaching, I, in turn, suggested that this did not seem a good idea.

The reasons I gave for this opinion was that I did not think that Yuna's toe jump technique (which I had understood had been taught to her by her Korean coaches) had never (as in never ever, not just this year but even during Olympics) been 'textbook' (and I gave Elizaveta's toe jumps as an example of what I thought was truly a 'textbook' technique), and that she probably would need to make some technical amendments. Of course, this is not to say that Brian didn't try to make minor amendments with Yuna's toe jumps, but if one compares how Yuna jumped in Korea with Yuna's toe jumps after Canada, there is not such a significant difference (particularly the toe pick).

I also gave my opinion, that of all the jumps, Yuna's axel technique was indeed probably 'textbook', as 1. her axel-jumps had looked okay at ATS Show, and 2. I had read on figure skating boards numerous times that Brian Orser had in fact worked with Yuna on her axel, that Yuna and her mother had gone to Brian because they knew he was Mr. Axel and they at that time were still trying to see if Yuna could do a triple-axel. This is not such a bad thing to say, is it? To say that I think that Yuna's axel-technique is perfect?

All in all, I think all I was saying was that I did not think that Yuna could just practice on her own only with Korean coaches to become competitive again.

Actually it was Peter Oppegard who helped Yuna on her axel when she was still young.

RunnersHigh
07-07-2012, 12:16 PM
The reasons I gave for this opinion was that I did not think that Yuna's toe jump technique (which I had understood had been taught to her by her Korean coaches) had never (as in never ever, not just this year but even during Olympics) been 'textbook' (and I gave Elizaveta's toe jumps as an example of what I thought was truly a 'textbook' technique), and that she probably would need to make some technical amendments.
Could you share me the textbook written on 3 Toe jump? Especially 3 Toe jump in ice shows.

Who are the Korean coaches? Training in Korea doesn't mean being trained by Korean coaches.

magnolia
07-07-2012, 01:06 PM
If you don't want to give any credit to Brian Orser for Yuna's axel technique, that's your perogative. I'm shaking my head here, but hey, you believe what you want. :)

And I am not privy to Yuna's coach selections so you'd best get Yuna to answer further details on how that's working out.

RumbleFish
07-07-2012, 01:07 PM
One thing for sure, is that Yuna Kim's skating abilities should never be judged after watching her show performances.
She generally sucks in exhibitions, but tends to do a little better in competitions.

RunnersHigh
07-07-2012, 01:09 PM
I had read on figure skating boards numerous times that Brian Orser had in fact worked with Yuna on her axel, that Yuna and her mother had gone to Brian because they knew he was Mr. Axel and they at that time were still trying to see if Yuna could do a triple-axel. This is not such a bad thing to say, is it? To say that I think that Yuna's axel-technique is perfect?

OK, let's make it clear.

At page 86 ~ 90 in Yuna's autobiography, she wrote why they went to there. "In 2006, I trained alone in Toronto without a full time coach and had lessons from Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson and Astrid Shrubb. Brian's lesson was about technical elements. Knowing well as a Mr, Triple Axel, I though it would be great if I could train 3A with Brian. But because of the injuries, I couldn't do the jump. He and I trained other triples instead. As training went on, I got to feel comfortable with his approach to train.
(omit)
I told mom that I felt good to train with Coach Orser and asked "How about you?". She answered "Really? That's exactly what I think. I've been considering to ask him to be your full time coach."
(omit)

Yuna liked the way Brian and Wilsons coached, was highly contented with the environment of the Toronto Cricket Skating & Curling Club to train and loved to stay in Toronto as a girl anonymous.

If you don't want to give any credit to Brian Orser for Yuna's axel technique, that's your perogative. I'm shaking my head here, but hey, you believe what you want. :)

:lol: Read my reply careful.

RumbleFish
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Brian Orser should be given credit for any improvements Yuna Kim made in her jumps post this performance.

Yuna kim 2005 Jr.GPF LP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfaEiVRnqo)

Ziggy
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM
No, they're expected to be athletes. Athletes inspire people by performing higher, faster ... Retired athletes are famous because they used to be athletes.

If you sign a contract to become a face for a product than you become a living advertisement for it.

The higher your profile, the higher the profile of the product you are promoting.

(And you'd better be putting pictures on your Facebook whilst 'happening' to be wearing/using the sponsor's stuff if you want that contract renewed. :D)

In terms of future opportunities after your (relatively very short) competitive career is over (and whilst it's still taking place) the higher your profile, the more opportunities you are going to get.

Therefore, it is in all athletes' best interest to maintain as high a profile as possible and to position themselves as a brand.

You seem to be trying very hard to pretend that this reality doesn't exist. It does though. :P

magnolia
07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Brian Orser should be given credit for any improvements Yuna Kim made in her jumps post this performance circa 2005.

Ohh, that is phenomenal. What a superb performance!

But it would be a little unfair to pit young uninjured Yuna's performance against a performance by fully-grown herniated Yuna to suggest (perhaps) that Brian actually didn't help improve anything, because most skaters (Mirai, for example, and Mao as well) tend to look much better before puberty.

That fully-grown Yuna's double-axels looked just as good or even better than young Yuna's double-axels (the second axel was under-rotated, I thought) is indication that Brian DID do his job, I think.

Looking at this performance, I also think Yuna's salchow improved, but not obviously the loop, which I guess was really affected by a growth spurt. As for her toe jumps, young Yuna's looks exactly like old Yuna's, except for the fact that I think her toe pick grew stronger as she matured.

juicy10
07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm super thrilled to see YU-NA's come-back!!Can't wait ;D

bardtoob
07-07-2012, 04:42 PM
You seem to be trying very hard to pretend that this reality doesn't exist. It does though. :P

You seem like you are weak willed and without ideals. Many things can be different if one demands they be different. For example, it is "consumer demand" not "consumer accept" ... Unless you are one of those people that makes choices based on what the popular kids like and celebrities endorse ... (Internal and external consistency :2faced:)

t.mann
07-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Brian Orser should be given credit for any improvements Yuna Kim made in her jumps post this performance.

I watch this performance first!
Kim was having a potential to become a great 3Looper.

marii
07-10-2012, 07:04 AM
I wish her good luck, but it's unlikely she can be a champion again at the Olympics. Age, luck of practice - all play a role. Skaters like Lipnitskaya ahead of her.

johnny158
07-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I wish her good luck, but it's unlikely she can be a champion again at the Olympics. Age, luck of practice - all play a role. Skaters like Lipnitskaya ahead of her.

Tara come back? I wish her good luck. : But her jumps are too small. :rofl: Her choreography is a little bit childish and void. I hope she'll not run away after Olys this time. Too young to run away from skating. :rofl: I will pray for her not to reach puberty before Olys.

burntBREAD
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Tara come back? I wish her good luck. : But her jumps are too small. :rofl: Her choreography is a little bit childish and void. I hope she'll not run away after Olys this time. Too young to run away from skating. :rofl: I will pray for her not to reach puberty before Olys.

:confused: