PDA

View Full Version : My hotmail account was hacked

Vash01
07-02-2012, 05:06 AM
This is not the first time my email account was hacked, but last time it was the yahoo account. I informed Yahoo and even gave all my personal information but yahoo never let me back on yahoo email again.

This weekend Hotmail detected suspicious activity on my account and blocked access to it. After I verified my identity, and changed my password, I was allowed to use it again.

It was a scary experience because it is the only email account I use (there is a back up account that was listed when I registered for my hotmail account, but I hardly ever use it).

Someone sent an email from my hotmail account, trying to sell a product. Most knew that it was a hacker and not me, and they informed me (but of course I could not access the account to see their messages).

Here is the question: What I can do to prevent such 'attacks' on my email account in the future? I have Norton for security.

I am assuming that most people have had this happen to them sometime.

BigB08822
07-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Have you thought about using a different email provider? I have used gmail for years and never had issues. I hear about this happening a lot more often with hotmail and yahoo accounts, it seems.

Vash01
07-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Have you thought about using a different email provider? I have used gmail for years and never had issues. I hear about this happening a lot more often with hotmail and yahoo accounts, it seems.

Yahoo is really bad. Hotmail had been OK so far for me.

I do have a gmail account but I rarely use it.

Prancer
07-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Here is the question: What I can do to prevent such 'attacks' on my email account in the future? I have Norton for security.

IME, the way this usually happens is that you get an email from someone you know that contains only a link. You click on the link. Voila, your account now has a virus and it starts sending out emails containing nothing but an infected link to everyone in your address book. Your account hasn't been hacked and is as secure as ever; changing your password won't help.

The other way this happens is that someone who has your email address in their account address book has this virus and it starts sending out emails that LOOK like they came from you, but actually didn't. Again, your account hasn't been hacked; your account is being spoofed.

Read on: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-wlsecurity/my-hotmail-account-is-sending-out-spamviruses/009a5bd9-b65a-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The best way to avoid having this happen is to never click on a link in an email unless you know why it was sent and be sure that all your friends know to do the same.

Buzz
07-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I don't use free emails anymore and just stck to Bell.

Vash01
07-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks Prancer.

star_gazer11
07-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Look at your sent folder - if the suspicious messages are there, your account was used to send them. You need a stronger password, Norton or any security program probably was not an issue.

I only knew about my own address/account (yes, hotmail) being hacked because another one of my addresses received the spam. :lol:

Stronger password suggestions include:

Use at least one capital, mix the cases of the letters
Include at least one number
Don't use whole words or phrases; mix in numbers

michiruwater
07-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Stronger password suggestions include:

Use at least one capital, mix the cases of the letters
Include at least one number
Don't use whole words or phrases; mix in numbers

http://xkcd.com/936/

Simone411
07-03-2012, 04:10 AM
IME, the way this usually happens is that you get an email from someone you know that contains only a link. You click on the link. Voila, your account now has a virus and it starts sending out emails containing nothing but an infected link to everyone in your address book. Your account hasn't been hacked and is as secure as ever; changing your password won't help.

The other way this happens is that someone who has your email address in their account address book has this virus and it starts sending out emails that LOOK like they came from you, but actually didn't. Again, your account hasn't been hacked; your account is being spoofed.

Read on: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-wlsecurity/my-hotmail-account-is-sending-out-spamviruses/009a5bd9-b65a-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The best way to avoid having this happen is to never click on a link in an email unless you know why it was sent and be sure that all your friends know to do the same.

This happened to one of my friends that had an AOL account. It went to my junk mail. I opened it, and there was a link for advertisement to some weird site. I didn't click on the link. I simply deleted it, and called him to let him know.

Prancer
07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Look at your sent folder - if the suspicious messages are there, your account was used to send them. You need a stronger password

Or you have a virus, which has nothing to do with your password. Changing your password is always recommended, just in case, but breaking passwords is actually pretty hard to do and something of a waste of time; it's much easier to send out infected files that work automatically once they get into other systems than it is to try to break into individual accounts and send out emails.

It happens, but not very often, and usually happens with huge accounts, not small individual ones. Why would anyone go to the trouble of hacking Vash's personal account just to send out a handful of spam?

People are always telling me their Facebook accounts were hacked, too, when what really happened was they clicked on infected links. Most of us just aren't attractive to hackers.

By all means, change your password. But don't expect it to take care of the problem.