PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

judgejudy27
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
IMO, Kim and Asada should be removed from the list. Recent announcements from both make it clear that they are not ending their competitive careers, and, it is impossible to compare the records of two skaters still competing with those of other skaters whose competitive careers are over.

Mao's competitive career for all intents and purposes is over. She is a zombie of her former self at this point, and I could see her suffering the indignity of even missing her own countries Olympic team for 2014, especialy with Ando now back.

Kim's doesnt have to be over, in fact if she gets her act together she could easily win the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics which IMO would elevate her career even above Kwan's if she pulls it off, but if she comes back like she did in pitiful display at the 2011 Worlds where despite nearly winning over an abysmal field she looked like she had trained about 1 week only and was going through a half assed practice run through in competition, she might as well not bother.

berthesghost
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
OMG, Irina would have never had that 9th place in her career if she hadn't gone againts her doctors' decision and skated in Dortmund. She was clearly without any chances for a medal, she skated just because she wanted to be on the ice. But then what a comeback she did winning EVERYTHING in 2004-2005 season. Yeah, but Mao lost her mom! :P There's isn't one of the 12 from this list who don't have some reason for why they skated poorly when they did.
In my opinion there is now way Irina should go before Asada and Kim. Irina consistently performed full set of triples and never left out anyone. Her longevity and accomplishments speak for themselves as do her jumps and spins. Kim struggled to land her loop and Asada strggled with her lutz. Besides, they have rarely skated a clean long program. Irina did that more than 15 times in her career, Kim just twice. as I said before
1. "longevity" is an unfair comparison toward others who are still skating and will be for at least 2 more years, if not more. Irina went to 9 worlds. Mao has been to 6 thus far, 7 had she not been hindered by age restrictions which didn't exist during Irina's time.
2. How can you have a "full set" of triples when you can't do a 3x? You can't. 6.0 and COP are different, and even Kwan ditched the loop under COP, so... Yeah, Mao needs the 3x because of all the other jumps she leaves out, but I don't disregard the fact that she can do one. They both skated under the rules at the time. Irina was 1st to do 2 3/3 lp, Mao the 1st to do 2 3x lp. I don't consider one way more difficult than the other. They're both impressive 1sts.
I don't laugh at Irina's program at all. I find her exuberance and power in skating her own form of artistry and she's definitely very ejoyable to watch.different strokes, different folks. Speaking of stroking, I'm glad you enjoyed all of those back pumping crossovers. Somebody had to. :P

bartek
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah, but Mao lost her mom! :P There's isn't one of the 12 from this list who don't have some reason for why they skated poorly when they did. as I said before
1. "longevity" is an unfair comparison toward others who are still skating and will be for at least 2 more years, if not more. Irina went to 9 worlds. Mao has been to 6 thus far, 7 had she not been hindered by age restrictions which didn't exist during Irina's time.
2. How can you have a "full set" of triples when you can't do a 3x? You can't. 6.0 and COP are different, and even Kwan ditched the loop under COP, so... Yeah, Mao needs the 3x because of all the other jumps she leaves out, but I don't disregard the fact that she can do one. They both skated under the rules at the time. Irina was 1st to do 2 3/3 lp, Mao the 1st to do 2 3x lp. I don't consider one way more difficult than the other. They're both impressive 1sts. different strokes, different folks. Speaking of stroking, I'm glad you enjoyed all of those back pumping crossovers. Somebody had to. :P

Right, somebody had to and the judges were the ones who lived up to that statement giving rina all her wins and favouring her over Michelle :lol:.

Of course I meant full set of triples without the axel. The fact that Mao had to put two triple axels because she couldn't do the lutz and didn't want to do the salchow (or whatever problem she had with salchow) doesn't really show her in good light. Irina didn't have to leave out any triple throuout her whole career.

taf2002
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Han Yan is not being overscored,

:eek: You're kidding, right?

Macassar88
07-02-2012, 08:33 PM
:eek: You're kidding, right?

He has great jumps, skating skills and musicality. Once he gets better choreography, he'll be set.

berthesghost
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Right, somebody had to and the judges were the ones who lived up to that statement giving rina all her wins and favouring her over Michelle :lol:.:lol: is right! In 9 tries, Irina only won worlds twice. Kwan is a 5 time WC, because the judges prefer Irina. :rofl:

Of course I meant full set of triples without the axel. The fact that Mao had to put two triple axels because she couldn't do the lutz and didn't want to do the salchow (or whatever problem she had with salchow) doesn't really show her in good light. Irina didn't have to leave out any triple throuout her whole career.Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Either you have a full set of 6 different triples or you don't. But in your eyes, if Irina leaves out the 3x, she still has a full set. A full set for her that is. But if Mao leaves out the 3z, she doesn't have a full set, even if it is a full set for her. And if she does two 3x, which is the hardest jump or all, but Irina does a 3t and 3s, the two easiest jumps, then Irina has harder tech content? Say what?!?! What about 98 when Irina was doing two 3/3s instead of 2 3z because the 3z had gone MIA for her? So, Irina losing the 3z is ok, but Mao losing the 3z in unforgivable? The way COP is now, they are pressured to leave out unsure jumps. This was not the case during Irina's time, and Mao is hardly Laura Lipisto, or even Caro Kostner. She's the only woman on this list with a 3x and surely that must count for something.

judgejudy27
07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
The next 2 rounds will be predictable as well. Chen is clearly going this round, and Asada next. Kim, Kim, Slutskaya, the predictable final 3 is where the fireworks will really begin, and nobody knows what will happen there. I predict the ubers of all 3 will come out of the droves though. It will be interesting which the Kwan ubers will choose to attack first Slutskaya or Kim. Will they stand up for Slutskaya and make a united front for the Kwan-Slutskaya era, or will they instead push hard to get rid of whom many of them refer to for years as the "overrated" Slutskaya. Likewise the Kim ubers between Slutskaya and Kwan, neither whom she competed with directly, and probably doesnt inspire the same passion in them as the wars vs Asada or even Ando do.

UGG
07-02-2012, 09:37 PM
The next 2 rounds will be predictable as well. Chen is clearly going this round, and Asada next. Kim, Kim, Slutskaya, the predictable final 3 is where the fireworks will really begin, and nobody knows what will happen there. I predict the ubers of all 3 will come out of the droves though. It will be interesting which the Kwan ubers will choose to attack first Slutskaya or Kim. Will they stand up for Slutskaya and make a united front for the Kwan-Slutskaya era, or will they instead push hard to get rid of whom many of them refer to for years as the "overrated" Slutskaya. Likewise the Kim ubers between Slutskaya and Kwan, neither whom she competed with directly, and probably doesnt inspire the same passion in them as the wars vs Asada or even Ando do.

I will be voting for Kim over Slutskaya. :D

Anyway...bye bye Mao.

berthesghost
07-02-2012, 10:39 PM
or... maybe people will just continue to vote how they truly feel, and others will continue to freak out that somebody might actually have a different opinion, so accuse them of cheating. :lol:

Anywho, where are all of these insane hordes of Kimbots that people insist exist? Only a piddly 20 votes and Mao could be gone today! Come on insane hordes of Kimbots, get to it! . I know you exist because I read it on FSU and everyone knows FSU is only filled with gospel truth! :lol:

kwanette
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
or... maybe people will just continue to vote how they truly feel, and others will continue to freak out that somebody might actually have a different opinion, so accuse them of cheating. :lol:

Anywho, where are all of these insane hordes of Kimbots that people insist exist? Only a piddly 20 votes and Mao could be gone today! Come on insane hordes of Kimbots, get to it! . I know you exist because I read it on FSU and everyone knows FSU is only filled with gospel truth! :lol:

:)

mtnskater
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Irina Slutskaya.
I admire her qualities, but compared to the others, her skating lacks of lightness, grace, and she was not technically that superior.

Agree!

allezfred
07-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Mao's competitive career for all intents and purposes is over. She is a zombie of her former self at this point, and I could see her suffering the indignity of even missing her own countries Olympic team for 2014, especialy with Ando now back.

You heard it here first folks! judgejudy has a great knack of predicting exactly the opposite of what actually happens. :lol:

Alex Forrest
07-03-2012, 12:26 AM
You heard it here first folks! judgejudy has a great knack of predicting exactly the opposite of what actually happens. :lol:

Don't know about that, but I'm in JJ's corner. I don't think the next two years will benefit Mao. She had her best years four and five years ago. This will end in a very ugly manner for her.

Vash01
07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Don't know about that, but I'm in JJ's corner. I don't think the next two years will benefit Mao. She had her best years four and five years ago. This will end in a very ugly manner for her.

I have learned to never count anyone out, particularly someone as tough as Mao is mentally. Irina had two really bad years in her career. Nobody could have predicted her performance at the 2005 worlds, after her illness. Nobody could have predicted her strong performances in 2000 after she missed making the Russian world team in 1999.

berthesghost
07-03-2012, 12:41 AM
True that! I used to call Irina The Terminator. Just when you thought you were finally rid of her, she'd come back even stronger. :lol: