PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RumbleFish
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Yuna Kim has suddenly become a popular choice in this poll.

A pleasent welcome back presents by maobots? :scream:

kwanatic
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Next is going to be kwan for me, then Asada

Good luck with that. :lol:

So far, it's so close between Mao and Lulu and I can't decide who to vote off. Both deserve to stay for different reasons. Right now, I'm leaning towards Lu Chen though Mao's inconsistencies don't help her case much. I also greatly prefer them to Slutskaya but even I think it's too soon for Slutskaya to go.

My sentiments exactly.

Irina's skating is like nails on a chalkboard IMO and she's light-years away from Lulu and Mao when it comes to elegance, artistry and presentation...BUT even with Irina's ugly style of skating, her longevity and accomplishments make her off limits until the last two rounds of voting for me.

This is a tough vote between Lulu and Mao...toughest so far IMO. As VIETgrl said, the only thing that gives me pause in my voting is Mao inconsistencies over the past few years. At a glance Mao has the more impressive resume (2 world titles, Olympic silver); but when you actually look at it, you see that Lulu was a much more consistent competitor, landing on the podium in 4 consecutive appearances at worlds. Mao hasn't cracked the top 5 at worlds these last two years. As far as artistry goes Lulu is superior in terms of programs and depth of emotion while performing; Mao wins in terms of aesthetics though: body type, posture, line, extension and flexibility, and that ethereal quality. In terms of technique, Chen is superior; in terms of difficulty, Mao wins...this is a tough call.

IMO, what really hurt Mao was her stint with Tarasova as her primary coach. TAT's style for Mao was the antithesis of Mao's natural style; everything about her during those years, from her programs to her costumes, seemed forced and disingenuous. She managed some amazing technical displays in terms of her 3A but the rest of her jumps as well as her overall appeal and the effect of her skating hit a low point that she has yet to fully recover from.

The only reason I would vote Chen right now is b/c Mao still has some time to redeem herself and it's well known that she is capable of some truly beautiful and amazing skating. BUT given her current state, the increased level of competition in the field this year, plus the news that Yu-Na is returning, I don't know how much more Mao can accomplish. Just b/c you have the ability doesn't mean you can deliver it when the time comes. Right now, Mao isn't living up to the potential everyone saw back in 2005-2006...

Decisions, decisions...IDK who I'm voting for yet...

berthesghost
07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
^ but Mao has twice as many votes, so are there twice as many Kimbots here now? :lol:

As laughable as I find it that Kim has more votes than Irina, it's kinda insane to think of Mao as more than twice as weak as Irina. Where are Irina's multiple 3Xs? :rolleyes:

I've kinda made peace with the lack of Lulu love. She never got no respect from the judges, nor the fans apparently. Despite what the judges (skating, judy, or otherwise) say, I think she should have been 93 WC, could have easily won 94 had she not been injured, and should have won 96 making her a 4 time WC. But, that's not what happened, so.... off with her head! :P

l'etoile
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
through some other skaters also have tried to lose a mother they never had to go through half of what Mao did, cause losing her mother is only one of the Many things she has been through..

I'm so baffled at this sentence that I'm unable to make any sense of it. :confused:

Mafke
07-02-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm so baffled at this sentence that I'm unable to make any sense of it. :confused:

Trust me, you're better off that way.:shuffle:

berthesghost
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm so baffled at this sentence that I'm unable to make any sense of it. :confused:I'll try:

direct translation: "though some other skaters have also lost their mother, they haven't gone through half of the other stuff Mao did, because losing her mother is only one of the many things she has been through.."

real translation: "Mao has it soooooooooo much harder than anyone else, but because she is a genius on ice and the bestest ever figure skater, like EVER! she is better because she has it sooooooo much harder but still manages to get out of bed and go skate, so we should all worship at her altar, as she is obviously a God among mere mortals!!!!!"

OT: but didn't Joannie go thru a similar retweeking of her jump tech that caused a set back before really breaking thru, or am i misremembering ?

invierno
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Irina's skating is like nails on a chalkboard IMO and she's light-years away from Lulu and Mao when it comes to elegance, artistry and presentation...BUT even with Irina's ugly style of skating, her longevity and accomplishments make her off limits until the last two rounds of voting for me.

This is a tough vote between Lulu and Mao...toughest so far IMO. As VIETgrl said, the only thing that gives me pause in my voting is Mao inconsistencies over the past few years. At a glance Mao has the more impressive resume (2 world titles, Olympic silver); but when you actually look at it, you see that Lulu was a much more consistent competitor, landing on the podium in 4 consecutive appearances at worlds. Mao hasn't cracked the top 5 at worlds these last two years. As far as artistry goes Lulu is superior in terms of programs and depth of emotion while performing; Mao wins in terms of aesthetics though: body type, posture, line, extension and flexibility, and that ethereal quality. In terms of technique, Chen is superior; in terms of difficulty, Mao wins...this is a tough call.

My sentiments exactly. I voted for Mao because of her inconsistency, technically issues, not so many memorable programs and limited range of interpretation.

Amy03
07-02-2012, 05:41 PM
As laughable as I find it that Kim has more votes than Irina, it's kinda insane to think of Mao as more than twice as weak as Irina. Where are Irina's multiple 3Xs? :rolleyes:

well i would rather say Mao who is ten times stronger then irena in every way, she unlike irena has showed technical content that irena at her highest peak wouldn't dream of including, and I don't understand how ANYBODY can justify irena beeing anywhere near Mao! and through Mao hasn't been a senoir skater for as long as irena she still has accomplished everything that irena has, just on a greater scale, and with a tougher system!

and for anybody who still thinks that irena had the slightest chance of winning against Mao watch 15 year old Mao crushing irena at the 2005 GPF, just look at the big gab there is between there technical content, and notice how every jump of Mao is done effortlesly without any hesitation and please compare it to irena!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MSxpxO7CE

berthesghost
07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I find Mao and Irina pretty evenly matched, and flipped back and forth between the two as I consider them the two weakest we have left.

Irina is done, Mao is still competing, so it's weird to compare. Irina skated a lot longer, but was way more inconsistent IMO. Both have an Oly silver and 2 WCs, but Irina has placements as low as 7th and 9th at worlds, compared to Mao's 6th at lowest. Irina is queen of the GPF, and skated there a lot longer than Mao has yet, but Irina did finish off the podium there, which Mao has yet to do.

Mao's programs may be more "forgettable" but Irina's were more unforgettable in a bad way, like so cringeworthy you're still laughing about them years later... feed the chickens, grab your head, etc...

Irian had better jump tech on most jumps, but then again, Mao has been a star with regard to keeping the 3x relevant for ladies.

l'etoile
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
^^ That was from Mao's earliest career which obviously and unfortunately didn't pan out consistently or improve very much whereas Irina was able to keep up her technical ability very well and consistently throughout her entire career. What does that tell you?

I'll try:

direct translation: "though some other skaters have also lost their mother, they haven't gone through half of the other stuff Mao did, because losing her mother is only one of the many things she has been through.."

real translation: "Mao has it soooooooooo much harder than anyone else, but because she is a genius on ice and the bestest ever figure skater, like EVER! she is better because she has it sooooooo much harder but still manages to get out of bed and go skate, so we should all worship at her altar, as she is obviously a God among mere mortals!!!!!"

OT: but didn't Joannie go thru a similar retweeking of her jump tech that caused a set back before really breaking thru, or am i misremembering ?

Joannie did have some held-back time because she was reworking her jumps. IIRC, it was the flutz she was working on and the timing of work-done was just amazing so accordingly with the Olympics. Can you believe that this girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0j3ydtkHw0&feature=player_detailpage#t=79s) had a lutz problem at all?

kwanatic
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Joannie did have some held-back time because she was reworking her jumps. IIRC, it was the flutz she was working on and the timing of work-done was just amazing so accordingly with the Olympics. Can you believe that this girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0j3ydtkHw0&feature=player_detailpage#t=79s) had a lutz problem at all?

It took her the better part of two years but she nailed it. That's the proof that it can be done.

I honestly think if Mao had stuck with the corrections she started making before switching to Tarasova she'd have a clean lutz by now. Rather than keep at it, they stripped it from her programs midway through that first season and never put it back in. That was 2 years of reconstruction down the drain. Plus, I think having TAT as a main coach was stupid. Mao needed a technical coach to help her train her jumps...I don't really feel that's TAT's specialty.

Ah well...bygones...

attyfan
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
IMO, Kim and Asada should be removed from the list. Recent announcements from both make it clear that they are not ending their competitive careers, and, it is impossible to compare the records of two skaters still competing with those of other skaters whose competitive careers are over.

Jarrett
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Sorry Mao.

lauravvv
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
IMO, Kim and Asada should be removed from the list. Recent announcements from both make it clear that they are not ending their competitive careers, and, it is impossible to compare the records of two skaters still competing with those of other skaters whose competitive careers are over.Then skaters like Plushenko, Chan, Takahashi, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Savchenko/Szolkowy and Pang/Tong shouldn't have been in those polls to begin with. But they are. As were Ando and Kostner. Those polls are not just about skaters who have ended their competitive careers, no matter how wrong it could seem. So, I see no point in you statement.

Oh, I forgot to add that I voted for Lu Chen. I really love her artistry, but, unfortunately, this poll is not called 'The most artistic female champion'.

bartek
07-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I find Mao and Irina pretty evenly matched, and flipped back and forth between the two as I consider them the two weakest we have left.

Irina is done, Mao is still competing, so it's weird to compare. Irina skated a lot longer, but was way more inconsistent IMO. Both have an Oly silver and 2 WCs, but Irina has placements as low as 7th and 9th at worlds, compared to Mao's 6th at lowest. Irina is queen of the GPF, and skated there a lot longer than Mao has yet, but Irina did finish off the podium there, which Mao has yet to do.

Mao's programs may be more "forgettable" but Irina's were more unforgettable in a bad way, like so cringeworthy you're still laughing about them years later... feed the chickens, grab your head, etc...

Irian had better jump tech on most jumps, but then again, Mao has been a star with regard to keeping the 3x relevant for ladies.

OMG, Irina would have never had that 9th place in her career if she hadn't gone againts her doctors' decision and skated in Dortmund. She was clearly without any chances for a medal, she skated just because she wanted to be on the ice. But then what a comeback she did winning EVERYTHING in 2004-2005 season.

In my opinion there is now way Irina should go before Asada and Kim. Irina consistently performed full set of triples and never left out anyone. Her longevity and accomplishments speak for themselves as do her jumps and spins. Kim struggled to land her loop and Asada strggled with her lutz. Besides, they have rarely skated a clean long program. Irina did that more than 15 times in her career, Kim just twice.

I don't laugh at Irina's program at all. I find her exuberance and power in skating her own form of artistry and she's definitely very ejoyable to watch.