PDA

View Full Version : DC storms

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mkats
07-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Anyone else without power in dc/md? We are onday 3 of no power and sweltering temperatures, pepco says it may be a week.

We've been sleeping in front of the wide open front door every night to stay cool, fortunately no burglars.

PRlady
07-01-2012, 02:13 PM
My friends and relatives in the suburbs are almost all without power, likewise two of my staff with very young children. :(

What a nightmare. It's hard to even yell at Pepco when the damage was so extensive.

CynicElle
07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Yikes. I'm sorry, mkats. I think I was the only DC-area resident in my group of Facebook friends who didn't lose power, and only one of them has her power back as of this morning. What an awful situation.

Buzz
07-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I was without power for about a week some years ago and it was not fun. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected.

Jenya
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
I live in Northern Virginia and luckily didn't lose power at all. I went out to run some errands yesterday morning and it was a nightmare - traffic lights out everywhere, stores closed without power - but I'm really grateful to have power at my place and very sympathetic to those who don't. :(

Good luck mkats, hope your power comes back soon and the temperatures cool down at least a little to provide some relief.

Nomad
07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I got lucky - no power or running water beween the Friday night storm and late yesterday afternoon, but that was it. The storm did worry me - I was afraid my windows would get blown out by the sheer force of the winds.

milanessa
07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Hang in there, mkats. Been there and it can be brutal. My thoughts are with you and all your fellow sufferers. I understand it was a derecho storm and they can be devastating. :(

aliceanne
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I didn't lose power in Takoma Park, but all of the businesses and traffic lights were without power Sat. Morning. I had a lot of errands and accomplished nothing. When I realized how widespread the problem was I passed on getting in the car and driving anywhere. I'll try the local businesses again today.

It was a very tornado-like storm. My one neighbor's yard was torn up, yet my other neighbor had about a dozen potted plants on the front steps that were untouched.

I hope everyone gets their power back today!

mkats
07-01-2012, 04:27 PM
My friends and relatives in the suburbs are almost all without power, likewise two of my staff with very young children. :(

What a nightmare. It's hard to even yell at Pepco when the damage was so extensive.

This is what i' m worried about too - our practice is practically all geriatric, some of whom can be very stubborn. I'm hoping they'll have rhe sense to just go to the ER if need be.

Downed trees all over mass ave, some 2-300 yea old.
At least I suppose the heat is good practice for when I move to hotlanta in a wk!!

Thnx for the good thoughts, much appreciated :)

orbitz
07-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm in the same boat as you mkats. Thank goodness my gym has power so I have access to a shower. Barns & Nobles was packed all day yesterday with people hanging out there, because they had no power at home; I bet it'll be packed today too. On the bright side, I finally cleaned out my fridge :)

Garden Kitty
07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
So sad to read about the damages and the lives lost. I hope people can find shelter since the heat can be a real killer - especially to the elderly or sick.

PRlady
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
My staff in Takoma Park in Maryland have their power back, the one who lives in TakPark DC does not. It's all so random. Still can't reach ex-husband, his landline isn't working and his cell phone is off. (Yes, I worry about him.)

How do you pronounce derecho?

And orbitz, my daughter used to be a barista at that Barnes & Noble (I assume you mean the one in Bethesda) and she told me the hardest days she ever worked were with the last massive power outage more than a year ago....

barbk
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I hope that there is some effort to seek out the elderly to get them to cooling stations. I'd hate to see a situation as happened in France during that horrible heatwave.

Derecho? Der-A-Cho was how I was taught. (Right? Verdad?)

milanessa
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
How do you pronounce derecho?

de-RAY-cho or de-RAY-sho.

Debbie S
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
About 600,000 lost power here in the Baltimore area. The latest numbers say that over 300,000 have been restored, but none of the people I know (including me) are in that group. And most, including me, have no phone service. I spent last night at my parents', who have power, and would have had a pleasant sleep if not for the fire alarm in their building going off at 4 am (seriously?). My mom was the only one who wernt downstairs, turned out to be a false alarm, as we figured (this has happened before).

Went back home this morning to meet a contractor to look over the damage to my house - some trim and front downspout ripped off, top vent in roof bent back and needs replacement, some siding pulled away that needs to be nailed back. All told, I guess I'm lucky, only $400. Guy says he can fix the roof tomorrow (since if it rains, water will come in). Supposedly, we won't have rain tonight (*crosses fingers*). I put down towels upstairs. Also took the last bit of food from my refrigerator and freezer that was salvageable, threw out some stuff, and emptied the ice (now water) container.

I was hoping to escape by skating for a few hours, but my home rink has no power (neither do the others in our area), so no club ice yesterday morning or tonight, and we expect we won't have ice tomorrow night.