PDA

View Full Version : Monica Friedlander: "International Skating Union Now Officially a Dictatorship"

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

MrLucky
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
The author may be nuts, but this has to be one of the most redundant statements I've seen you make yet. :lol:

Depends if the fans count at all. :(

With fewer fans it is easier for speedy (and people like you) to ignore great artisitc skating and just reward Chan's robotic "skating by numbers" style.

Even at Skate Canada the extremely small arena was empty when the "chosen one" came out to show his bland CoP skating style.

In France, Chan was soundly booed by the fans and so were the judges.
If he really deserved to win then it is obvious skating is no longer a sport people will follow.

Not a sport at all but a convoluted pageant totally unaccountable with the cheating rampant.

LilJen
07-01-2012, 02:38 AM
I did? I wouldn't say ‘everyone’; I wish she explained to me why someone got a 5.7 vs. a 5.9 or a 6.0 for that matter. There were just as many people upset that skater A won over skater B. Talk about clear as mud.

Merlyn Davis

:eek:

Meryl *is* magical, though, don't you think? :lol:

PS: I thought the ISU had been a dictatorship for quite some time already?

LilJen
07-01-2012, 02:43 AM
The term extension did not come from Mr. Chinquanta. The term extension also included many council members. Russia strongly recommended and lobbyed for the extension. They did not want to deal with a whole new cast of characters while orgainizing the Olympics.

??? Ciquanta was to finish his term in (presumably) mid-2014. . . AFTER the Sochi Olympics. Russia's recommendation therefore makes no sense. Unless I am missing something?

overedge
07-01-2012, 03:18 AM
If Ms. Friedlander thinks the audience can't understand IJS, instead of bitching about it, as a journalist maybe she should explain it so that they can be enlightened. The comments posted by the skater's dad are right on.

I also was surprised to learn that the ISU is now a dictatorship. I thought that happened long ago.

mossop
07-01-2012, 03:41 AM
FREE ISU from dictatorship!
Vote Friedlander for President and Weir for Vice-President.:biggrinbo

Aussie Willy
07-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Well I have responded to the article (yes made my feelings known to Ms Friedlander). Will wait a response.

Judge Dred
07-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Well I have responded to the article (yes made my feelings known to Ms Friedlander). Will wait a response.

Would this happen to be you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV2uR3sqDM

berthesghost
07-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Oh, never mind

spikydurian
07-01-2012, 07:41 AM
:confused: Is this a threat? :P

Aussie Willy
07-01-2012, 08:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV2uR3sqDM
:rofl: Holy f*ck how did you manage to find that? It is not even my Youtube account. A friend had videoed it and uploaded it.

MissIzzy
07-01-2012, 12:36 PM
When I saw the title to this article, I actually thought it a rant about the new minimum scores. That would be a legitimate thing to rant about right now. That was before I saw it was by Freidlander, of course(she showed just how much she cared about lower ranked skating in her last article, where she dismissed CoP's usefulness to the rank and file who benefit from the feedback as secondary to her own fannish needs:scream:). Granted, Speedy's staying overlong's a legitimate beef too, but I suspect her writing about it is less because of that and more because he's in her general Area of Objection.
Also, if the Canadians winning meant a scandal-winning Worlds, why is the voting block still the former Soviet Union/Iron Curtain area? Which one's running the sport again? :huh:

professordeb
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
With the small exception of speaking about Speedy, this article was nothing but a chance to whine about Canadians winning. The author really needs to just get over themselves.

Ziggy
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
It makes me really sad that somebody can be that well educated, a published journalist and write such a nonsensical shower of total shit... :rolleyes:

I guess "EVILLE KONSPIRACY" always sells well.

Suggesting that there was anything scandalous about the wins of Chan and Virtue/Moir at the last World Championships is just ridiculous. Especially that she makes absolutely no arguments to back that up, other than "the audience booed" and "the audience thought Davis/White won" (so she can read people's minds now? :shuffle:). Airtight arguments those. Right.

Oh and she also quotes delusional 'I should have won bronze in Vancouver' Johnny Weir. Perfect. :D

And how exactly is the difference between 187.25 and 185.13 different to the difference between 5.8 and 6.0? :confused: The higher score wins, the end.

Only the former gives skaters feedback and lets both them and us know why they actually won. Under the previous judging system, your guess would be as good as mine.

I don't know a single skater or coach who would prefer to return to the previous judging system. Not one.

With fewer fans it is easier for speedy (and people like you) to ignore great artisitc skating and just reward Chan's robotic "skating by numbers" style.

Chan's skating skills are absolutely extraordinary. He builds speed very easily, there's hardly any cross-overs in his programs, everything flows together very well, he's got loads of freedom in his upper body movement, moves to the rhythm, I could go on and on.

You not finding his skating "artistic" doesn't change the fact that he ticks pretty much all the PCS boxes and his overall level of skating is second to none.

I don't think there is any other skater competing right now who would be capable of executing Chan's programs. And if there is one (or more), why aren't they doing it?

VarBar
07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Chan's skating skills are absolutely extraordinary. He builds speed very easily, there's hardly any cross-overs in his programs, everything flows together very well, he's got loads of freedom in his upper body movement, moves to the rhythm, I could go on and on.

You not finding his skating "artistic" doesn't change the fact that he ticks pretty much all the PCS boxes and his overall level of skating is second to none.

I don't think there is any other skater competing right now who would be capable of executing Chan's programs. And if there is one (or more), why aren't they doing it?

I agree but how does all that matter in a sport named figure skating?;)

kwanette
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Huh? One may not have fully agreed with some marks here and there, but I think this is the only person around who thought this worlds was in any way scandalous - and certainly not "one of the most scandal-ridden". :blah:

I mean, there wasn't a single tapping foot spotted anywhere, as far as I know. :P

:cool: