PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42

flyingsit
07-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Tom Cruise is at his best when there are other very strong actors around him... A Few Good Men (Nicholson), Rain Man (Dustin Hoffman), The Color of Money (Paul Newman).

FunnyBut
07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
And, if I'm going to engage in salacious rumor-mongering, saying someone is secretly gay wouldn't be how I'd do it. For one thing, there is nothing salacious about begin gay or even being in the closet.

ITA. But I wonder, why is it the 'gay card' is always being played with successful actors? In the case of Cruise, I think so many of his roles have been the uber-masculine male hero, and being effeminate or gay would be the antithesis of his image, the ultimate smackdown for his macho success. For an actor who has played a greater range along the spectrum of masculinity (ie Colin Firth or Ewen MacGregor), being gay wouldn't be such a big deal, hence there's no rumour-mongering.

Personally, I don't buy the rumors. In large part, I think Kate and Nicole have too much going for them just to be someone else's beard. (I know Nichole is much more successful not then when she married Tom, but still, she and Katie both were doing very well before they married him.) I think the same about the Evan and Tanith rumours. Why in the h3ll would Tanith want to be anyone's beard? Could she be any more attractive, desirable or successful, why would she settle for anything less than the real thing?

Rafter
07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Well that shocks me too. I think Tom is totally pretty (http://hollywoodhiccups.com/wp-content/uploads/Tom-Cruise-Wire-Taps-Wives.jpg). :)

I guess each person has their own definition of pretty. To me, with Tom's larger nose and crooked teeth (or formerly crooked teeth), he wasn't "pretty" but rather handsome. To me a guy who is "pretty" has smaller finer features - small nose, high cheekbones etc. To each his own.

Rafter
07-17-2012, 08:36 PM
ITA. But I wonder, why is it the 'gay card' is always being played with successful actors? In the case of Cruise, I think so many of his roles have been the uber-masculine male hero, and being effeminate or gay would be the antithesis of his image, the ultimate smackdown for his macho success. For an actor who has played a greater range along the spectrum of masculinity (ie Colin Firth or Ewen MacGregor), being gay wouldn't be such a big deal, hence there's no rumour-mongering.

Personally, I don't buy the rumors. In large part, I think Kate and Nicole have too much going for them just to be someone else's beard. (I know Nichole is much more successful not then when she married Tom, but still, she and Katie both were doing very well before they married him.) I think the same about the Evan and Tanith rumours. Why in the h3ll would Tanith want to be anyone's beard? Could she be any more attractive, desirable or successful, why would she settle for anything less than the real thing?

I don't believe the gay card is used with all successful actors. Russell Crowe, Leo D, George Clooney, and Michael Douglas are all successful actors who don't have the gay rumours following them non-stop.

As for Tanith and Evan, maybe Tanith didn't realize at the time that she was his beard? :shuffle:

overedge
07-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Obviously none of us know the specifics of the relationships you mentioned, but I can from the experience of some of my friends, this is what the beard gets out of it. Please remember that these are generalities and might not be true in every case.

- a nice-looking attentive guy to hang around with and to be seen with; makes you look good too
- some level of commitment from the guy; obviously not romantic, but he has something invested in this too (his 'image') so he's not too likely to dump you quickly
- relatively low maintenance compared to a lot of romantic relationships; you do your thing, he does his. Works well when both parties have a lot of work responsibilities or aren't able to spend a lot of time together.
- also relatively easy to end (relative to a romantic relationship) when one party decides it's not for them any more. Relatively little drama, usually can be friends afterwards.

skatingfan5
07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't believe the gay card is used with all successful actors. Russell Crowe, Leo D, George Clooney, and Michael Douglas are all successful actors who don't have the gay rumours following them non-stop.Hmmm. Actually, I do believe that "the gay rumors" have circulated for at least one (if not more) of those you mention. But then, they seem to for quite a few who are in the public eye.

numbers123
07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't believe the gay card is used with all successful actors. Russell Crowe, Leo D, George Clooney, and Michael Douglas are all successful actors who don't have the gay rumours following them non-stop.

They don't? Gay speculation are rampant about Leo and George.

I can't say or heard about any gay speculation with Russell or Michael

Jenny
07-17-2012, 08:45 PM
And more reasons to be a beard:

The opportunity to raise a child in a family environment with a second parent rather than trying to do it on your own and also face continual speculation on who the father might be
For Hollywood types, the opportunity to further your career with his connections
For those involved with rich gay men, the opportunity to live well
Because perhaps you are also hiding something and presenting the image of a "normal" marriage and family life is something you want or feel you need
Potentially a lot more interests in common

Rafter
07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
They don't? Gay speculation are rampant about Leo and George.

Really? I don't think I've never heard that about Leo. Wouldn't surprise me if there are some about George considering he's never been married.

Rogue
07-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Really? I don't think I've never heard that about Leo. Wouldn't surprise me if there are some about George considering he's never been married.

Actually, George has been married. He was married to Talia Balsam for about 4 years.

Jenny
07-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Actually, George has been married. He was married to Talia Balsam for about 4 years.

He also dated/lived with Kelly Preston many years ago, who some now believe is John Travolta's beard.

berthesghost
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I find it interesting, if not notable, that the first time I heard anyone say Tom Cruise was gay was from high school boys at the time Top Gun was out. High school boys who were not particularly happy with high school girls' enchantment with Maverick.

Several years later when I was a young teacher, I heard high school boys at the time of Titanic telling their female classmates enchanted with all things Jack that Leonardo DiCaprio was most certainly gay.

Just saying.I don't hang with high schools so I'm out of the loop. Are Brad Pitt and Jude Law gay too? What about those twilight boys all fighting shirtless and stuff. :lol:

Never heard the Leo rumors, but I would have to say that Tom has made more than 1 movie with palpable homoeroticism. Top Gun is sooooo gay it's no wonder people make fun of it all the time. And that Vampire movie gave me a headache. Tom's vampire had such a hard on for Brad's vampire, who didn't seem interested much, it was painful to watch. Gosh, just thinking of all the terrible movies he's made that I had to sit thru, ... I don't want to even think about it anymore! :lol:

Jenny
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Top Gun is sooooo gay it's no wonder people make fun of it all the time.

Reminds me of a hilarious scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJSm6OdPhs) in the little known 1994 movie Sleep with Me, in which Quentin Tarantino explains why Top Gun is one of the greatest scripts ever written, and how it is in fact an epic gay story.

Latte
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
This thread is giving me a headache.
I'm outta here.:blah:

Andrushka
07-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Just my opinion but I think she had something on him he didn't want people to know and she should've gotten the heck out of Dodge a looooooong time ago!