PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42

michiruwater
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
You've really never met someone who called someone gay just because they were pretty?? Especially boys with longer hair or long eyelashes even?

I have no idea if anyone ever assumed Paul Newman was gay. I wasn't alive when that would have been relevant :lol:

Edit: Well, a quick google search shows tons of articles alluding that Newman was either gay or bisexual, so I guess there were rumors about that (still are, apparently, which is weird to me). Trying to find some sort of study on why people assume people are gay has been harder but I feel surely one must exist somewhere?

Rafter
07-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I dunno, maybe this is too simplistic, but I honestly always thought people thought Tom was gay just because he was pretty. Most people don't need a better reason. Or at least, that's what I figured.

Really? I've never thought of Tom Cruise as "pretty". Handsome or good looking, yes. To me "pretty" would be someone like Rob Lowe.

michiruwater
07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Well that shocks me too. I think Tom is totally pretty (http://hollywoodhiccups.com/wp-content/uploads/Tom-Cruise-Wire-Taps-Wives.jpg). :)

skatingfan5
07-16-2012, 09:59 PM
You've really never met someone who called someone gay just because they were pretty?? Especially boys with longer hair or long eyelashes even? No, not really. And, while Paul Newman was way before your time, I'm of the generation where the majority of guys had "longer hair" so that definitely didn't factor at all into whether someone was thought to be gay or not. :lol:

michiruwater
07-16-2012, 10:04 PM
You make a good point :lol:

And even though Newman was before my time, I'd still gladly have this picture (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1390/1034301414_9de27bc102.jpg) on my wall ;)

berthesghost
07-16-2012, 11:31 PM
That wouldn't be my question, because I think that the fact that people are so inclined to label celebrities they dislike as gay is essentially homophobia, Perhaps, generally speaking, and perhaps this were true for some 20 years, 3 wives and 3 kids ago, but the persistent rumors leveled at Tom have evolved to not be that he is gay, but a closet case actively living a sham: a coward, a liar. Negative qualities that people are willing to believe because:
but I do think Scientology is the reason that a lot of people think Tom Cruise is freaky and are so willing to believe whatever. That, and I think Tom Cruise just rubs a lot of people the wrong way and so they don't like him; he seems more disliked than any of the other celebrity Scientologists, although that could be because he is the most public of them, too.It's easier to believe bad things of people you dislike, and often people are willing to latch on to theories when seemingly talentless people like Cruise and Holmes are inexplicably thrust into megastardom. Personally, I :lol: at the idea that either one of them is a good actor. Perhaps if they had some talent, more people would buy the "we're just two crazy kids in love" routine they shopped all over town like it was their next movie.

So do people find Scientologists in general to be freaky people?YES!

PeterG
07-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Edit: Well, a quick google search shows tons of articles alluding that Newman was either gay or bisexual, so I guess there were rumors about that (still are, apparently, which is weird to me). Trying to find some sort of study on why people assume people are gay has been harder but I feel surely one must exist somewhere?

:lol:

I did a google search for albino penguins and got over two million results (2,190,000 to be exact)!

poo poo pighead got 1,350,000 results. :rofl:

michiruwater
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Well, yes, you can get a google result for just about anything. But I didn't expect to see all these (really very funny, I think) articles going on about his crazy, bisexual, covered-up sex life :lol: This article (http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=entertainment&sc=books&sc3=biography&id=96394) in particular made me :lol:

Prancer
07-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Perhaps, generally speaking, and perhaps this were true for some 20 years, 3 wives and 3 kids ago, but the persistent rumors leveled at Tom have evolved to not be that he is gay, but a closet case actively living a sham: a coward, a liar.

Yes, I consider labeling unpopular people "closet cases" to also be homophobia--or, sometimes, self-hatred.

It's easier to believe bad things of people you dislike

Yes, and that's what I find interesting--why is it that some people are so disliked and why is it that dislike allows people to engage in such bizarre speculations?

PeterG
07-17-2012, 05:38 AM
URL="http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=entertainment&sc=books&sc3=biography&id=96394"]This article[/URL] in particular made me :lol:

Wow, Mr. Newman was a busy boy! :lol:

P.S. poo poo pighead paul newman only got 70 google results :D

MacMadame
07-17-2012, 06:59 AM
God forbid a straight guy has a drink in a bar with his gay friends. I once stopped at a gas station just to use the rest room. I guess that makes me a Getty. :blah:
Well there was more than just one visit, but the thread isn't about Hugh so I'm not going to go into it all. I'm just saying I find the rumors about him more believable than those about Tom, because of things :sekret: whose credibility is high with me have told me. But even with Hugh, I think there's a point you have to take someone's word for their own sexuality.

I guess it boils down to Scientology. Perhaps if he wasn't so creepily in love with his own religion, a religion that demonizes gays, then the whole beard/closet case rumors would make soooo much less sense.
But the vast majority of people who belong to religions that demonize homosexuality are straight.

FWIW, I never thought that Tom Cruise was particularly "pretty".[/SIZE]
Tom Cruise is totally pretty.

Yes, and that's what I find interesting--why is it that some people are so disliked and why is it that dislike allows people to engage in such bizarre speculations?
I don't find it particular amazing that Tom Cruise is hated. :D He's a control freak -- as even his friends admit -- and he's a douche bag (IMO).

But I don't assume all douche bags are gay. And, if I'm going to engage in salacious rumor-mongering, saying someone is secretly gay wouldn't be how I'd do it. For one thing, there is nothing salacious about begin gay or even being in the closet.

by the same token a man who identifies as gay and is in a long term relationship with another man, but who was once married to a woman isn't labelled as "Bi" for life if they identify as gay.

I have friends who were married to women before they came out. One of them told me that, if his wife hadn't cheated on him, he'd still be married to her today and that their sex life had been fantastic. But he totally doesn't self-identify as bi.

Human beings are complex and human sexuality is even more complex.

berthesghost
07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
For one thing, there is nothing salacious about begin gay or even being in the closet.I think many out gay men have a big problem with closet cases. I also suspect this is the source of the rumors.

PDilemma
07-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I find it interesting, if not notable, that the first time I heard anyone say Tom Cruise was gay was from high school boys at the time Top Gun was out. High school boys who were not particularly happy with high school girls' enchantment with Maverick.

Several years later when I was a young teacher, I heard high school boys at the time of Titanic telling their female classmates enchanted with all things Jack that Leonardo DiCaprio was most certainly gay.

Just saying.

skatingfan5
07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Tom Cruise is totally pretty.<shrug> Chacun à son goût. Pretty is as pretty does.

IceAlisa
07-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Tom Cruise had his moments as an actor--I thought he was quite good in A Few Good Men. But then there are other actors that are rumored to be in the closet whose work I admire.