PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Rafter
07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
What I'd like to grasp is why you seem to be so defensive about this? Sheesh.

Big Tom Cruise fan perhaps?

Rafter
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
But then we have celebrities about whom there are persistent rumors they are gay who don't do anything to support those rumors. Tom Cruise is one of them. He's been married 3 times ... to women ... he dates women ... there is no long-time slightly too close to him male who "everyone" knows is really his partner.

Unlike that hottie Hugh Jackman.

And no real rumors of him being seen sneaking off with guys or going to gay pickup joints. The only rumors we hear are 3rd hand at best and are about stuff he maybe did when he was very young which may be true but since they are so vague and not first or even second-hand, probably aren't.

I don't know. There have been rumours about Tom and David Beckham, Tom and Rob Thomas, Tom and his airline pilot (that's the story I've heard is that his longtime partner is his airline pilot). I also believe there have been lawsuits over the years where he has sued over gay stories or been sued by supposed gay lovers.

MarieM
07-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Interesting. If this is true, then I wonder how he had a child with Holmes, who as far as I know was never a full member of the CoS.

Fact was the child was supposed to be Ethan Hawkes, not Cruise :cold:

Badams
07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
There have been rumours about Tom and David Beckham, Tom and Rob Thomas, Tom and his airline pilot (that's the story I've heard is that his longtime partner is his airline pilot). I also believe there have been lawsuits over the years where he has sued over gay stories or been sued by supposed gay lovers.

Tom and Rob Thomas??? :eek:

Jenny
07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Tom and Rob Thomas??? :eek:

Google it - it was all over the internet around the time that Tom and Katie got together, and it was even suggested that Rob's wife catching them and threatening to go public was the reason behind the hurried courtship/pregnancy/marriage of Tom and Katie.

MacMadame
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Unlike that hottie Hugh Jackman.
Well with Hugh, I have personal friends who have seen him in gay pickup joints. So that's second hand, not 5th hand and he's doing something in public that lends credence to the rumors.

I'm still willing to give him -- and anyone who says they aren't gay -- the benefit of the doubt.

I also think sexuality is a lot more fluid than some of you seem to think. It's not an on/off switch where you are either gay or you are not. I think if someone is attracted to people of both the opposite and the same sex but never acts on their attraction to the same sex, except maybe in their youth when they are experimenting, but then spends the rest of their lives only having sex with the opposite gender and self-identifies as straight, that at some point you have to accept that they are straight. Maybe not straight as an arrow... but that's what they self-identify as and the feelings they act on so it's kind of arrogant of us to insist that deep-down they are really gay and it's all just an act.

numbers123
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I remember reading that the reason Tom divorced Nicole was because she was pregnant, The article I read (I wish I could remember where) said scientologists were allowed to adopt children but all biological children had to be born to a mother and father who were full members. Nicole refused to convert so when she became pregnant, Tom filed for divorce because she went against the church.

I thought that the reason was that Tom believed that Nicole was pregnant with someone else's child.

milanessa
07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Maybe not straight as an arrow... but that's what they self-identify as and the feelings they act on so it's kind of arrogant of us to insist that deep-down they are really gay and it's all just an act.

Yes. And why does it matter?

Jenny
07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes. And why does it matter?

I think that in this case, whether or not Tom is gay does matter. He's spent a lot of time and effort aggressively promoting his happy relationships with women, so if in fact he's gay, then it's another big lie. It also would support the suggestion that at least two of his marriages were shams, whether or not his wives fully realized it at the time they got married or since then. He's also been quoted as saying he doesn't believe in sex outside a relationship, and since he's either been married or in a relationship with a woman for the better part of 25 years now, if he's also been having sex outside those relationships, then again it's another lie. Which to me, puts into question the credibility of anything he says or does, big or small.

milanessa
07-16-2012, 04:54 PM
I think that in this case, whether or not Tom is gay does matter. He's spent a lot of time and effort aggressively promoting his happy relationships with women, so if in fact he's gay, then it's another big lie. It also would support the suggestion that at least two of his marriages were shams, whether or not his wives fully realized it at the time they got married or since then. He's also been quoted as saying he doesn't believe in sex outside a relationship, and since he's either been married or in a relationship with a woman for the better part of 25 years now, if he's also been having sex outside those relationships, then again it's another lie. Which to me, puts into question the credibility of anything he says or does, big or small.

Maybe he's bi in which case I'd think it's more difficult to maintain one relationship. I could be wrong on that - we have bi folk on the board, maybe they could chime in. Whether his entire life is a lie or not doesn't interest me, though. It's not like he has the same effect on my life as a politician or someone truly influential does. He's a rich actor high up in Scientology but does it really matter if he's gay/straight or bi or if he's lying about any of it?

antmanb
07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Well with Hugh, I have personal friends who have seen him in gay pickup joints. So that's second hand, not 5th hand and he's doing something in public that lends credence to the rumors.

I'm still willing to give him -- and anyone who says they aren't gay -- the benefit of the doubt.

I also think sexuality is a lot more fluid than some of you seem to think. It's not an on/off switch where you are either gay or you are not. I think if someone is attracted to people of both the opposite and the same sex but never acts on their attraction to the same sex, except maybe in their youth when they are experimenting, but then spends the rest of their lives only having sex with the opposite gender and self-identifies as straight, that at some point you have to accept that they are straight. Maybe not straight as an arrow... but that's what they self-identify as and the feelings they act on so it's kind of arrogant of us to insist that deep-down they are really gay and it's all just an act.

Agree completely, by the same token a man who identifies as gay and is in a long term relationship with another man, but who was once married to a woman isn't labelled as "Bi" for life if they identify as gay.

I find a lot of my gay friends are unwilling to let it lie if a man who identifies as straight but has had gay experiences refuses to at least call himself bi, but when you pose it the other way of gay man who has slept with women in the past, then its ok for them to be "just" gay.

Rafter
07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
He's also been quoted as saying he doesn't believe in sex outside a relationship, and since he's either been married or in a relationship with a woman for the better part of 25 years now, if he's also been having sex outside those relationships, then again it's another lie.

According to his first wife, Mimi Rogers, he doesn't believe in sex inside a relationship/marriage either. :lol:

berthesghost
07-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Cool, then I will ask you--what do you consider evidence that the rumors are true?I have no strong opinion one way or the other, neither case has ever said anything to convince to of either.

AFAIK, there's no Kitty Kelly type book claiming Tom is gay. It's all just rumor. Persistent, long standing rumor. But personally I don't go by garbage like this:
Well with Hugh, I have personal friends who have seen him in gay pickup joints. So that's second hand, not 5th hand and he's doing something in public that lends credence to the rumors. God forbid a straight guy has a drink in a bar with his gay friends. I once stopped at a gas station just to use the rest room. I guess that makes me a Getty. :blah:

So, with no real case ever made for Tom being gay, I guess your question really is: "Why am I not 100% convinced of his heterosexuality despite the frequent public evidence made for it? Why am I even open to the idea that he may be gay?" and I guess it boils down to Scientology. Perhaps if he wasn't so creepily in love with his own religion, a religion that demonizes gays, then the whole beard/closet case rumors would make soooo much less sense.

milanessa
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
According to his first wife, Mimi Rogers, he doesn't believe in sex inside a relationship/marriage either. :lol:

And that seems okay to me, too. If he's asexual, so what? Why do we need to KNOW?

Jenny
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Whether his entire life is a lie or not doesn't interest me, though.

It does interest me :) It's not that I care about Tom per se, but I find culture and media interesting, so seeing how all the players work in that arena and watching what happens when things like this occur is interesting to me.

Just as we've been talking about rumours vs truth and what defines a credible source, I find it interesting that one of the central players in this drama is likely one of the least reliable sources. At this point, I'd no more believe anything Tom says than a headline on a supermarket tabloid, or something that a someone's friend's cousin's florist's ex-boyfriend heard from a bartender in Ibiza who once served a guy who knew a guy who might have worked at a law firm. :lol: