PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

AliasJohnDoe
07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Katie made the Bullseye section of "Entertainmaent Weekly" this week!!!

Katie's picture with the caption:
"Most satisfying resolution to a hostage situation since "Dog Day Afternoon". :rofl:

AnnieBgood
07-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Tom made the very smart choice of marrying a girl who looked very much like him. Suri looks like Katie. Katie looks a lot like Tom.
BINGO!
I'm not saying she isn't Tom's(how would I know) but don't let her looks fool you, that doesn't prove anything.

Thank you. I'm not the only one that noticed!

(I think of Joshua Jackson when I look at her around the nose.)

Rafter
07-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Oh for sure - when you put it like that, I'm with you. I had the impression that you weren't buying it because you felt the source wasn't credible and it was just the same old rumours going around in circles.

:lol:

I understand it's hard for people to believe certain stories when they don't know the source of said stories.

As for sham marriages, I totally believe they happen in Hollywood. Maybe for some reason the idea of a storybook romance or marriage isn't a priority. Women beard for these Hollywood superstars in return for being set-up for life financially, maybe they get a child or two out of it, they get fame, live a luxurious lifestyle, etc. I think fame and money is more appealing to some of these women than an actual real relationship.

danceronice
07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Hubbard was a Sci Fi writer, and Dianetics was his grandest work of that genre. Seems pretty appropriate to place Hubbard's books in Sci Fi. It's not that different from people who think that Ayn Rand's contrived shlock is a how-to manual, but her missives aren't shelved in the politics section.

Not only, but rumor and SFFWA legend have it the whole reason there's Scientology is a bet between Heinlein and Hubbard over who could found a religion with a sci-fi book. (Allegedly this took place at an early World Con.) Dianetics was Hubbard's 'entry.' He won. For some reason "Stranger in a Strange Land" never quite caught on the same way. Scientology doesn't usually go trolling for SF fans because most/all have heard that story. And are probably a little miffed Heinlein's version didn't catch on, what with the free love and libertarianism....

IceAlisa
07-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I saw a headline on yahoo about Katie being a feminist hero. Really? I do think that she was admirably smart in both decision and execution of her plan to obtain what she wanted in the divorce, but a feminist hero?

Cachoo
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I saw a headline on yahoo about Katie being a feminist hero. Really? I do think that she was admirably smart in both decision and execution of her plan to obtain what she wanted in the divorce, but a feminist hero?

I look at the chances Billie Jean King took to get equal pay for female tennis players and I think "feminist hero." Katie: I think even Katie might agree that feminist hero is a bit much.

PeterG
07-16-2012, 01:34 AM
I think Katie Holmes is the 2010's Gloria Steinem.

:lol: :rofl: :P

kwanfan1818
07-16-2012, 01:46 AM
And would you?
If the circumstances had been right, yes.

And would you, as part of the one of the most photographed people in the world, be able to pull of having affairs of your own--young thing surrounded by temptation that you would be if you were Mrs. Tom Cruise? Without anyone ever breathing a word of it?
I'm missing the performance gene, so I can't imagine wanting something so badly to put myself in a position to be photographed, but were I a performer who wanted exposure, I very well might have invested a decade of my life, with very good chances of being able to conceive in my 30's when I'd be interested in settling down, for that kind of fame, career up-side, and money. (I was never interested in the children part, although with that kind of money, they'd have had tutors and would never have had to deal with the boredom that is school.) Especially if I genuinely liked the guy. Lots of women genuinely like Morozov, for example.

It also depends on whether all of those people spying were interested in keeping me pure for Mr. Tom Cruise, or just a nice wife figurehead (especially if he was sleeping with men on his side), and whether the organization would have been like the Stasi in keeping secrets as well as pulling them out of people. I don't know how they operate in these circumstances.

IceAlisa
07-16-2012, 01:59 AM
I am not sure how asking kwanfan1818 or any other poster whether they would enter into a sham marriage is relevant. The question is, would Katie Holmes? None of us are Katie, AFAIK, so what we think we would or wouldn't do is irrelevant.

overedge
07-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Some of the news stories said that Katie was away on a trip for her charity while the plans for the divorce were being put in place, but I didn't realize until I saw a brief mention of this that she was promoting her charity at.....an ice show!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2158853/Katie-Holmes-steals-spotlight-Artistry-On-Ice-event-China-low-cut-black-dress.html

kwanfan1818
07-16-2012, 02:05 AM
I am not sure how asking kwanfan1818 or any other poster whether they would enter into a sham marriage is relevant. The question is, would Katie Holmes? None of us are Katie, AFAIK, so what we think we would or wouldn't do is irrelevant.
Actually, the line of discussion leading to the question was about whether Nicole Kidman went into a contractual, sham marriage with Cruise and just put on a good show at the end to appear devastated.

Katie Holmes told her friends in high school that she wanted to marry Tom Cruise, so I don't think she went into a sham marriage, but I think the question is whether she would stay in a sham marriage -- i.e., a different one than she thought she was marrying into, a la Diana Spencer or Max de Winter -- if there was one.

IceAlisa
07-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Katie Holmes in high school and Katie Holmes at the age of actual marriage to Tom probably were somewhat different people. I don't know whether her high school statement was an indication of anything one way or another.

Prancer
07-16-2012, 02:12 AM

Because my question was actually more about why people find these rumors so credible when they strike me as highly unlikely.

Of course we don't know what really happened. But all of us choose to believe or not believe certain things, and I find it interesting to know how and why we make those choices.

I cannot imagine any scenario in which I would agree to a 10 year sham marriage; two or three years maybe, when I was 23 and had a different view of what marriage would actually be like, but 10? Not on your life. Ergo, I find it hard to believe that anyone else would. kwanfan1818 seemed to think it wasn't that unlikely so I wanted to know why.

IceAlisa
07-16-2012, 02:26 AM
I totally understand and respect being skeptical about rumors.

However, the argument that because you wouldn't do something, it's hard for you to believe that others would do it, is one that is frequently criticized on this very forum. People do a lot of things I wouldn't do, particularly in Hollywood where so much :bribe: and :puppet: is at stake.

Prancer
07-16-2012, 03:33 AM
However, the argument that because you wouldn't do something, it's hard for you to believe that others would do it, is one that is frequently criticized on this very forum.

As it should be, but again, I don't believe I argued that something couldn't happen because I wouldn't do it. I said that I don't understand why people are so inclined to believe a particular rumor that strikes me as very hard to believe because I wouldn't do it, particularly when there isn't a whole lot of basis for it. If there were more of a solid basis for said rumors, I could see people believing them, regardless of personal experience. As it is, about the only reason I can see for believing this to be true is that people want to believe it for whatever reason.

That is why I asked what kwanfan's reasoning is. If one cannot understand something, it is most often because one does not have enough information. One way to get such information is to ask for it. And there are a couple of ways in which our perspectives are so radically different that I can see why she could maybe do it and I couldn't.

I am not so stupid as to think that this means it did or did not happen in the case of Tom Cruise, et al. That's beside the point.