PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

vesperholly
07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
By all accounts, Nicole desperately wanted to have children; that's 10 childbearing years she could never get back.

Is it rumor or fact that Kidman miscarried twice during her pregnancy? If that's true, I'd say it's much more believable that she would be able to stomach a 10-year sham marriage with the intention of having biological children.

Perhaps the terms of the contract were so great that 10 years was acceptable? At the time, Tom was a huge, huge A-list star.

Jenny
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
By all accounts, Nicole desperately wanted to have children; that's 10 childbearing years she could never get back.

Just to go back on this point - Nicole was 23 when she married Tom, and I'd say it's not unrealistic that someone who wants both career and children is prepared to focus on her career first, and then have children later.

If there was a 10 year contract, the idea of waiting until she was out of it at age 33 to bear children is not unfeasible. Maybe she considered Tom her starter/career marriage, with the idea that if it didn't work out with him, there was still plenty of time for a second marriage where having children would be a higher priority, which coincidentally, is what happened.

Plus, let us remember they did adopt two children together early on. Might have been because there were issues conceiving, might have been because she didn't want to lose career momentum, might have been because they felt they had an opportunity to share their good fortune with two unwanted children. Maybe she always thought that one day they'd have more children, and by the time she got around to trying, there were issues that prevented it from happening - medical, lifestyle, maybe Tom flat out said no, and her going ahead with it anyway is what caused him to divorce her.

I'm not advocating any one answer - just looking at the possibilities in an effort to try and understand how the known facts played out.

kwanfan1818
07-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Is it rumor or fact that Kidman miscarried twice during her pregnancy? If that's true, I'd say it's much more believable that she would be able to stomach a 10-year sham marriage with the intention of having biological children.
I agree that this was possible, because she wouldn't have been marrying him to live a lavish lifestyle and shop while he was on set, but to further her career, which meant long months on set. If she were being practical, she'd look at the average lifespan of Hollywood marriages and realized that she'd have a decade of relative stability.

I don't know if she did or she didn't, but I know a handful of men that I could have married for ten years and been perfectly credible as part of a happy couple, because I do like and love them, although not the same way that most North Americans think of when they consider marriage. They would have had their romantic love/sex life elsewhere.

One of my college friends told me that his anti-Semitic Polish-Catholic mother would have preferred him to marry a Jew (me) than be a single gay man, and we joked about how we'd split the presents.

PeterG
07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Well.

What I think is...

Katie has an extensive video collection of Tom using orphaned babies for target practise. OMFG!!!

So.

What do YOU think????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

berthesghost
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
What do YOU think????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!1. that you're not anywhere near as funny as you seem to think you are

2. that you seem to have an unusually strong emotional attachment to celebrities whom I fear are complete strangers to you

well... you did ask ;)

Prancer
07-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Ugh, shudder. Not me. Not only would you subject your children to the lie of the marriage (and to his religion, which apparently is not your religion of choice, but is one that would be a dominant feature of your life and theirs because of the sham husband), but you would tie yourself to the sham husband for the rest of your life--unless one of you was willing to give up the kids to the other and walk away.

I know some have argued that that's what Nicole did, but then Nicole has complained that the kids call her Nicole and it gets on her nerves, which would be a rather odd lie when she could just say that they talk on the phone all the time! And it is, in Tom's favorite word, incredible!

I don't know if she did or she didn't, but I know a handful of men that I could have married for ten years and been perfectly credible as part of a happy couple, because I do like and love them, although not the same way that most North Americans think of when they consider marriage. They would have had their romantic love/sex life elsewhere.

And would you? And would you, as part of the one of the most photographed people in the world, be able to pull of having affairs of your own--young thing surrounded by temptation that you would be if you were Mrs. Tom Cruise? Without anyone ever breathing a word of it?

And would you be perfectly happy being married to a man who is supposedly crazy? A Scientologist surrounded by Scientologists, who spy on your every moment and keep you essentially imprisoned while governing your every move?

That is also the rumor, you know.

I'm not advocating any one answer - just looking at the possibilities in an effort to try and understand how the known facts played out.

The only facts we have are that Tom and Nicole married, they adopted two children, and they got divorced with a confidential settlement just shy of 10 years of marriage. If Nicole is to be believed, she experienced an ectopic pregancy and a miscarriage during the marriage.

Other than that......what facts do we have?

Again, Occam's razor.

IceAlisa
07-14-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm not expecting to get it in writing. And as I said, I am aware that this story has been around for years; it's been very well-publicized for almost two decades now. It's been hard to miss.

But Rafter said it was probably a junior associate who leaked the details of the contract.

That indicates to me that the source is unknown and came to Rafter's source at least secondhand (and probably more distantly than that), which means it's a story that is floating around. Lots of stories float around. It may be true or it may not be true, but the fact that it came from people in Hollywood doesn't make it any more true. Are all the rumors you hear at work true?

I don't hear ANY rumors at work. As in none. I can't account for Rafter's story but myself think it's unlikely that a lawyer would leak details without the client's written consent.

vesperholly
07-14-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't hear ANY rumors at work. As in none. I can't account for Rafter's story but myself think it's unlikely that a lawyer would leak details without the client's written consent.

Lucky you. I work in a place that could run a small city on the power of its gossip. :lol:

IceAlisa
07-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Lucky you. I work in a place that could run a small city on the power of its gossip. :lol:

It's probably a lot more fun!

dots
07-14-2012, 01:45 AM
so Katie gave some evidence to Anonymous in case something should happen to her?

I wonder what it is. I bet is a sex tape with Tom and David Beckham. :watch:

http://www.limelife.com/blog-entry/Katie-Holmes-Walked-In-on-Tom-Cruise-and-David-Beckham-in-Bed/139751.html

milanessa
07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
I wonder what it is. I bet is a sex tape with Tom and David Beckham. :watch:

http://www.limelife.com/blog-entry/Katie-Holmes-Walked-In-on-Tom-Cruise-and-David-Beckham-in-Bed/139751.html

:rofl:

IceAlisa
07-14-2012, 02:09 AM
If that existed, it would fetch a pretty penny. :)

Subway
07-14-2012, 02:26 AM
I figure that Katie must have some major stuff on Tom re: gay relationships, the CoS, how Suri was conceived, the fact that their marriage was a fake or something similar in order for him to settle so quickly. I thought he was trying to get the whole thing moved to California. Next thing you know, it's all been settled and she has primary custody.

I saw some discussion earlier in this thread about Kidman. I have relatives in the film industry in LA and they told me when I was visiting them in May that the Cruise/Kidman marriage was a complete sham and that she did it for the money and to further her career. Apparently it was in the contract that they would split right before 10 years. Nicole is a good actress. ;) You can get every waiter in LA to tell you that story. There are a million show business gossip tropes that everybody in the business knows to be true whether they are or aren't true. But when two celebrities marry and maintain a high joint profile, wanting publicity is often a major tie that binds. Many high profile actors are genuinely consumed with their careers so in a weird way the relationships that generate publicity are authentic because it's a goal the couple shares, like any other interest bringing people together. I don't think that was all it was, as in they never had sex and it was a "complete" sham.

mkats
07-14-2012, 04:14 AM

We've been saying for years that if it weren't for HIPAA, we'd sell the rights to a TV show on our practice and we could all retire :bribe:

Actually, even without the patient stories we could probably pull it off :slinkaway

IceAlisa
07-14-2012, 04:16 AM
If it weren't for HIPAA...