PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

tarotx
07-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Many divorces are quick and easy. As soon as Tom was able to get Katie to allow him to have a meaningful relationship status with his daughter why not settle peacefully? Katie doesn't want her daughter forced into his religion and that is rumored to be what broke the couple up. Dragging it into courts will just put Scientology on trial. Since it's very cult like, in aspects at least, there is no way someone who has deep beliefs in the religion will allow that to happen especially when they can just slowly indoctrinate the daughter over her life time.

And Kate probably got a lot of money and the status of custody so that Tom can't hide Suri away without there being major legal consequences.

dots
07-10-2012, 12:01 AM
2) Katie has some MAJOR dirt on Tom that he doesn't want leaked so he gave her whatever she wanted

to put it mildly Katie had Tom by the balls! :puppet:

I say good for Katie. I hope she got some good $$$$$$ :hat1:

Badams
07-10-2012, 12:17 AM
to put it mildly Katie had Tom by the balls! :puppet:

I say good for Katie. I hope she got some good $$$$$$ :hat1:

If it were me, you couldn't put a price tag on FREEDOM!!! And her child...which it seems she got exactly what she wanted there.

numbers123
07-10-2012, 01:10 AM
1) It really was a "business" marriage with all the contacts and payouts we've speculated about with an "easy out" clause.

and/or

2) Katie has some MAJOR dirt on Tom that he doesn't want leaked so he gave her whatever she wanted

I favor 2 over 1, but both are probably reasons to settle quickly. Plus as it was pointed out, Scientology has had major defections lately and doesn't have the clout it once did. I say that team Katie planned it out very thoroughly, probably having a "settlement" document ready to go for Tom's signature ASAP.

Jenny
07-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Many divorces are quick and easy. As soon as Tom was able to get Katie to allow him to have a meaningful relationship status with his daughter why not settle peacefully?

Because a normal father who loves his children and can support them and give them a good life would have fought for joint custody at the least, not just visitation rights.

Coco
07-10-2012, 01:31 AM
If I were Katie, I'd be nervous about sending Suri to CA to spend time with Tom and all his Scientology people. We'll never know, but I wonder if that was addressed in the visitation agreements.

And I vote for #2, she must have some huge dirt on him.

AxelAnnie
07-10-2012, 01:43 AM
#2 for sure!

IIRC New York does not have joint custody, which is most likely one of the reasons Katie filed there. She could have filed in CA - but joint custody is common here.

In New York the judge decides who should have sole custody.......unless the parties agree to a joint custody agreement. But, it is not something that is hammered out in court. We'll never know how hard he did or did not fight for custody.

I think it is no surprise that it settled so quickly. I can't imagine that Tom or Scientology is interested in airing any laundry. I think Katie had some fabulous advice, and that she has handled all of this brilliantly.

Prancer
07-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Because a normal father who loves his children and can support them and give them a good life would have fought for joint custody at the least, not just visitation rights.

I dunno about that. Most fathers don't ask for physical custody, even with joint custody, particularly with younger children. There are different theories about why that is so, but it is definitely so, even among wealthy parents.

Didn't Tom's other divorces go pretty much the same way--everything was done quickly and confidentially? I don't remember any of them dragging out or becoming public.

tarotx
07-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Because a normal father who loves his children and can support them and give them a good life would have fought for joint custody at the least, not just visitation rights. Most fathers aren't super involved in a secretive religion. Most people aren't the name and face of said religion. Even if Tom personally did nothing that warrants bad press in anything other than the very nature of the religion, he's super involved in the religion that does have "interesting" activities (including indoctrination policies) that will be painted in the worst light possible. If you truly believe in said religion, well legal status isn't going to be more important than keeping the religion out of a high profile court case. Not til a release of said settlement or more likely not till we see how much Tom has Suri will we be able to judge how much he personally sacrificed other than legal status.

bmcg
07-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Definitely #2. Her team planned and played this beautifully. She had him in check the minute she blindsided him and the stories that she wanted to protect Suri from Scientology started. The only way for them to come out of this in the best possible light was to agree. Challenging the sole custody issue would bring into the public eye the precise reasons she left and with the bad PR the church has gotten and Tom has a lot of movies in production and pre-production that would be adversely affected by a nasty divorce and custody battle.

I'll hold off saying checkmate until I hear an official statement but congrats to Suri and Katie. I have no doubts Tom loves that little girl but I think he loves the Church more.

Jenny
07-10-2012, 02:03 AM
I dunno about that. Most fathers don't ask for physical custody, even with joint custody, particularly with younger children. There are different theories about why that is so, but it is definitely so, even among wealthy parents.

I don't have the stats, but I do know that Tom has gone on ad nauseum about his kids since Conner and Isabella were adopted, about how much fun they all have together, how important they are to him, how happy they all are, etc.

Of course it's become abundantly clear that what he says and reality are perhaps quite different, but nonetheless to continue the story he has spun so aggressively all these years, logically he should have gone for joint custody or better as a demonstration of his love and commitment to Suri. Plus, if he's so strong in his beliefs, then why wouldn't he want to have influence in terms of religion, education, healthcare and other key decisions?

My point is that there's got to be a big reason he didn't go for it - some are speculating that Katie has dirt on him he doesn't want to come out, others that Scientology is more important to him so he's protecting them, or a combination of both.

We don't know the details of the settlement mind you - Katie might have gone in with a plan about what she would concede to and readily agreed to something that may include more, but Tom's early statement that he wanted "significant and meaningful time with Suri" indicates that he wasn't fighting for much more.

Jenny
07-10-2012, 02:07 AM
If you truly believe in said religion, well legal status isn't going to be more important than keeping the religion out of a high profile court case. Not til a release of said settlement or more likely not till we see how much Tom has Suri will we be able to judge how much he personally sacrificed other than legal status.

Exactly.

I'll hold off saying checkmate until I hear an official statement but congrats to Suri and Katie. I have no doubts Tom loves that little girl but I think he loves the Church more.

That's my take too, although I'm not sure I'd say that "Tom loves the church more" - I think it's more that it's important enough to him and he values his position there and is not willing to give it all up, especially as by the sounds of things getting to his current position has been a long, long journey.

Prancer
07-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't have the stats, but I do know that Tom has gone on ad nauseum about his kids since Conner and Isabella were adopted, about how much fun they all have together, how important they are to him, how happy they all are, etc.

Lots of fathers talk about how great their kids are and how much they love them, but they still don't fight for physical custody.

I believe that Connor and Isabella were given the choice of which parent to live with and chose Tom; the fact that they were given the choice would indicates to me that Tom was at least willing to consider allowing them to stay with Nicole. And that would be in keeping with Scientology, as children are allowed to make their own choices just as adults do. Tom may even have asked Suri if she wanted to stay with Katie and respected her saying that she did; that's the kind of thing Scientology supports. Or maybe he thinks Katie is a better parent, or that Katie and Suri are closer or little girls belong with their mothers or or or.

All of us are interpreting evidence based on a set of pretty shaky assumptions here.

Plus, if he's so strong in his beliefs, then why wouldn't he want to have influence in terms of religion, education, healthcare and other key decisions?

All of which is negotiable and could be part of their agreement. Or not. Who knows?

PeterG
07-10-2012, 02:51 AM
I have not enjoyed all the Katie Holmes-bashing in this thread. The worst four things said/implied:

1. She married for money. The implication being that she is one of the best paid prostitutes on the planet.

2. She is a naive, idiotic twit who couldn't do a google search to save her life and/or does not know how to read. That she had no idea of Tom's background and what Scientology was.

3. That she is one of the worst mothers on the planet to marry and have a child with someone this side of being one of the most evil monsters on earth. And that she allowed her child to be part of an organization that some feel is one of the most abusive for a human to be a part of.

4. That she is a vindictive, backstabbing b**** who has collected dirt over the years...on the father of her child. And would do everything in her power to use this information to destroy her child's father in order to gain the upper hand, including money (which leads us back to the overpaid whore aspect of point number one).

Why do so many people hate Katie Holmes so much? To imply such horrific stuff as this? :confused:

numbers123
07-10-2012, 03:31 AM
???????????
I think that she is an extremely intelligent woman who is protecting her child from a cult. I think that she was in love (but most likely lust - which many women are when they marry). I think that she became more aware of the cult's practices as she continued the marriage to Tom Cruise which is why she created the team to help her protect her child.

If I see any bashing here it is a Tom bash (which I whole heartily agree with but then that is another story)