PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

michiruwater
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM
There are probably so many news stations that were priming for an ugly battle who are totally upset right now.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they worked it out so quickly and, apparently, congenially.

Cachoo
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Good for them: Hopefully Suri is fine, Tom keeps his returning popularity and Katie is free.

skatingfan5
07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
TMZ is reporting they've already settled (http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/09/tom-cruise-katie-holmes-divorce-settlement/). Wow, that was fast.Xenu don't allow no messy tabloid talk around here! :P

I think that this speedy resolution, thus avoiding prolonged and/or nasty divorce proceedings, is in the best interests of all parties involved.

From the linked article:
As we reported, one condition Tom had for settling was "meaningful, significant" contact with Suri.I'm wondering if the settlement might have given Katie sole custody of Suri in exchange for silence about Scientology. :shuffle:

peibeck
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
From the linked article:I'm wondering if the settlement might have given Katie sole custody of Suri in exchange for silence about Scientology. :shuffle:

I'm sure the "exchange for silence" regarding all things TC was already in the pre-nup. ;)

It may have been reiterated in the divorce settlement, but I'm thinking the major issues were more about custody and cash.

Jenny
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow indeed! But that doesn't end the speculation of course :lol:

Considering this was allegedly a surprise to Tom, and as per the story he only wanted "meaningful, significant time with Suri" it's interesting that Tom - used to being in control and having it all - has found ground somewhere between his needs and Katie's petition for full custody.

My guess is that he (and the Church) took this approach in the hopes of keeping the details out of the public eye and putting a cap on media coverage. It also tells me that Tom is willing to sacrifice a great deal for Scientology.

skatingfan5
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm sure the "exchange for silence" regarding all things TC was already in the pre-nup. ;)Perhaps, but I'm not sure if Katie was far enough along into Scientology that silence about her own personal experience with the CoS would have been part of a pre-nup. But perhaps it was.
It may have been reiterated in the divorce settlement, but I'm thinking the major issues were more about custody and cash.The 4 C's: custody, cash, Cruise, and Culthurch of Scientology. :slinkaway

suep1963
07-09-2012, 07:19 PM
^^I'll finish it off...

"If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair and agony on me."

I should go to the "getting old" thread too. :rofl:

Hey Grandpa! What's for supper?

WindSpirit
07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
My guess is that he (and the Church) took this approach in the hopes of keeping the details out of the public eye and putting a cap on media coverage. It also tells me that Tom is willing to sacrifice a great deal for Scientology. He may not have had a choice. If Scientology is really what many people say it is, they probably have a great control over him and decided that a quiet divorce was the best option. Which probably was true for everyone anyway.

I'm happy for Katie and Suri. Hopefully their life will be better than it would have been in the clutches of Scientology.

PeterG
07-09-2012, 07:43 PM
He may not have had a choice. If Scientology is really what many people say it is, they probably have a great control over him and decided that a quiet divorce was the best option. Which probably was true for everyone anyway.

I was wondering about this as well. To what extent is Cruise truly a devout Scientologist versus he's so far gone as far as his involvement...does he have any choices left to him?

michiruwater
07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
And would he recognize the difference, at this point?

Jenny
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I was wondering about this as well. To what extent is Cruise truly a devout Scientologist versus he's so far gone as far as his involvement...does he have any choices left to him?

In the article I linked earlier, there is speculation that Tom has reached a very high level in the Church - as high as #3 or even #2. Other reports indicate that several high ranking members have left recently, so that could very well be true.

mag
07-09-2012, 08:32 PM
And would he recognize the difference, at this point?

This!

Skittl1321
07-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Wow good for them settling this so quickly.

vesperholly
07-09-2012, 09:44 PM
He may not have had a choice. If Scientology is really what many people say it is, they probably have a great control over him and decided that a quiet divorce was the best option. Which probably was true for everyone anyway.

I think this is very likely. The St. Pete Times has a whole site about Debbie Cook, the 17-year leader who wrote the email criticising Miscavige. She was sued by Scientology and ended up being paid to STFU ... and then she immediately moved to the Caribbean. :eek:

Twizzler
07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow good for them settling this so quickly.

I don't necessarily think this is a "good for them" situation. Such a quick settlement tells me one of two things:

1) It really was a "business" marriage with all the contacts and payouts we've speculated about with an "easy out" clause.

and/or

2) Katie has some MAJOR dirt on Tom that he doesn't want leaked so he gave her whatever she wanted