PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

barbk
07-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Well, I can imagine Reacher jumping up and down on a couch...long enough to break off a piece of it to bash someone in the head with it. But driving around NYC in a car? No.

PDilemma
07-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Nicole was pregnant twice while with Tom but the pregnancies didn't come to terms and he was married to Mimi Rogers for only a few years when he was younger and probably not ready to be a dad.

I don't think there is anything remotely :confused: about it.

^This.

aliceanne
07-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I looked at the couch episode on you tube. I don't see what the big deal was. Oprah had pumped the audience into a frenzy before he came out. She was very playful and familiar during the interview. It wasn't out of context for him to be acting silly, the whole atmosphere of the show was over-the-top. I've seen celebrities do far sillier things on talk shows.

Jenny
07-06-2012, 05:38 PM
He claims paternity, and no one else has, so I don't see why it is an issue of public interest. It wouldn't settle the question as to whether he is gay or straight one way or the other if he were proven not to be her biological father. Unless he has been publicly anti-gay, who cares what his sexual orientation is?

In this case, the long time rumours that he is either gay and/or has some odd sexual issues have interest to some in the context of his lies about himself and his life.

Yes yes he's entitled to his privacy and there's no need to make public announcements about his sexuality - BUT, since he's gone on record repeatedly about his perfect life, and now we have evidence - not just rumour - that things are not as he has always said, then it puts everything into question.

Since Katie has not officially stated what exactly her problem is with Tom, you can't blame people for speculating on what the issue(s) might be, especially when it's a marriage and a life that has been promoted very publicly since the beginning. Celebrities can't just say "look at me! look at me!" and then expect everyone to look away when things change.

kwanfan1818
07-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I suspect that since it was before the recent prominent Scientologists extracted themselves and became vocal about it, Holmes' early exposure to Scientology was a combination of the very guided tour to Moscow for Westerners in 1979 and knowing lots of reasonable, successful people in Hollywood who are Scientologists. Reading Haggis' account of his experience, you had to be through a lot of levels and $$$ to find out all about Xenu; it's a slow process. Not everyone's kid was taken into Sea Org.

It's very possible that Holmes' exposure to what Scientology actually is was limited in a calculated way. In the most recent articles about the divorce, Rupert Murdoch appeared intimidated by the Scientology Machine. It appears that, despite this, she managed to figure it out, if not in time to avoid the whole thing, but to have a chance to get her and her daughter out of it.

Twizzler
07-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I was just reading Tom Cruise's entry on Wikipedia to find out more about his early life. Found it fascinating that he attended a seminary in Cincinnati with the hope of becoming a Catholic priest!!! :eek:

Theatregirl1122
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
I think she looks exactly like her mother. I don't see any special resemblance to Tom other than he and Katie are similar in coloring etc. But all that proves is that you can't go by appearances as everyone sees something different.

He claims paternity, and no one else has, so I don't see why it is an issue of public interest. It wouldn't settle the question as to whether he is gay or straight one way or the other if he were proven not to be her biological father. Unless he has been publicly anti-gay, who cares what his sexual orientation is?

I agree on both counts. A kid's father is the man or men who raise them. Full stop. So it's irrelevant whether or not Tom is her biological father (although I never knew this was a topic of discussion before). But I also agree that Suri is 100% Katie to me. Every time I see her on a magazine cover or something, I mention how very much she looks like Katie.

cruisin
07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't think there is any question that Suri is Tom's. I sincerely hope that katie gets a better deal with Suri than Niccole did with the two children she and Tom adopted. What I really don't understand is why this matters so much that it's one of the biggest news stories in the media. Two people are getting a divorce, it happens.

Reacher is driving a car?????? And is that New York???

:lol::lol::lol:

Clearly this movie is NOT going to be anything like the books. Not unexpected, but still--the Reacher Creatures will be all :lynch:.

Reacher did, on occasion, borrow/steal a car or truck. But the whole thing is laughable. Cruise is just wrong. I would have chosen Hugh Jackman.

So when movies are made from books, they don't film the whole thing, word for word? They make changes and do re-writes? ;)

Yeah, but they shouldn't change the entire personality of the main character. Especially one that is so clearly developed in a series of books.

Reacher Creature here! So very bummed. I started laughing when the car started......It would be like The Sound of Music starting at the top of the Empire State Building. Missing the essence. And then Tom Cruise spoke..little tiny, tinny voice...oh so not Reacher. I have read all the books, and look forward to each one. Lee Childs has IMO done a fabulous job in crafting this character. Oh well.

I never realized the Reacher books were so popular. They are like ice cream for the brain :lol: And I love ice cream!

Jenny
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I was just reading Tom Cruise's entry on Wikipedia to find out more about his early life. Found it fascinating that he attended a seminary in Cincinnati with the hope of becoming a Catholic priest!!! :eek:

Makes sense actually - sounds like he began searching spiritually from a young age, and found what he needed in Scientology (or vice versa, or both).

WindSpirit
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Quite interesting info in this article: Scientologists urge followers to 'take action' as Katie Holmes' split from Tom Cruise is the 'biggest nightmare the Church has ever seen' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2169568/Tom-Cruise-Katie-Holmes-divorce-Scientologists-urge-followers-action-negative-reports.html)

‘By filing for sole custody of Suri, she’s making it very clear she’s not going to let what happened with Nicole Kidman happen to her,’ says ex-Scientologist Karen De La Carriere, who was married to a former Church President before she defected.

‘Katie ambushed Tom Cruise and in so doing outwitted some of the most controlling people on Earth,’ De La Carriere told The Hollywood Reporter.

While Cruise will be advised by his longtime lawyer Bert Fields, Rathbun and Mike Rinder, another top-ranking Scientologist, will not be at his side like they were during the Kidman divorce because they have both left the Church.

‘They don’t have the resources or the people to help them attack the way they used to because so many key people have blown,’ ex-Scientologist Amy Scobee told The Hollywood Reporter, using the religion’s word (‘blown’) for defectors.

‘Marty and Mike are irreplaceable. They were tough. They understood Scientology, and they knew how to take care of business. Scientology can hire all the lawyers they want now, but they won’t hold a candle to Marty and Mike.’ Lotsa ex-Scientologists in that article. The last two paragraphs are especially interesting. They were so good at what they did and yet they left.

Checked out the blog mentioned earlier, too:
Marty Rathbun, who left the Church after reaching one of the top positions within the ultra-secretive organization, has since begun working as a counsellor for those who decide to leave and has started a popular blog (http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/scientology-inc-wants-to-censor-cruiseholmes-break-up-news/) about the misgivings of the religion.

Jenny
07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Marty Rathbun sounds like a double agent to me. :sekret:

:lol:

WindSpirit
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Marty Rathbun sounds like a double agent to me. :sekret:

:lol: You might be right, but somehow I don't think they would be allowed to even joke about being against Scientology. It's more likely the result of years and years of indoctrination. It takes a special person to get so high up in the ranks of something so impervious to any criticism or even doubts like Scientology. You don't become a different person in a day, even if you've realized that the Cesar has no clothes.

Still his little "they don't know what they're talking about unlike a highly informed person like me" quips are amusing. He likes to feel important.

PeterG
07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I looked at the couch episode on you tube. I don't see what the big deal was. Oprah had pumped the audience into a frenzy before he came out. She was very playful and familiar during the interview. It wasn't out of context for him to be acting silly, the whole atmosphere of the show was over-the-top. I've seen celebrities do far sillier things on talk shows.

I've always been :confused: about people who think this was just the craaaaaaziest thing they had ever seen. Now if Cruise had provided a pool-sized vat of jello and pulled Oprah with him into it and then body painted her with the jello...now that would have been crazy. But jumping up on a couch? I've been to random parties where much crazier things happened! :lol:

Cachoo
07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I didn't think Tom crazy with the couch episode. The first person I thought of was Nicole. I became more of a Nicole fan after that hour of Oprah.

Badams
07-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I thought he was crazy. It seemed manic and completely fake. To each their own. To many, jumping on the couch, pulling a Tebow pose and punching the floor, giggling like a madman, and acting totally odd is normal. I'm pretty weird myself, and to me, it's not normal. Even Oprah herself said he wasn't acting himself. It seemed staged and unnatural. If that makes me a judgmental, Tom Cruise hating, Scientology bashing fool...so be it. I can live with that.