PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

mag
07-04-2012, 11:13 PM
There is always the interesting thought that he is not the father, and she can prove it in court if she has to.:watch:

I don't think that would matter. Cruise is the only father Suri has ever known, he has been with her since she was born. I don't see Katie doing that kind of number on her daughter, and I don't see any court even considering the argument.

Mayra
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I really don't care what happens to any of them on a personal level, but I do find it interesting to watch how these things play out on the public stage. :watch:

Ditto.

It's especially interesting in this case because this split is basically being set up as an elaborate escape plan that Katie and only those closest to her were privy to.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20609622,00.html

Usually you get your irreconcilable differences, third party involvement and/or the couple simply grew apart, but this split has a totally bizarre if not creepy feel to it. :yikes:

Prancer
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Nope - the Kidman/Cruise children are with Tom

Connor still lives with Tom, I think, but Isabella is an adult and has been living with her boyfriend for about a year.

But this does not. Or does Tom think he's so powerful and godlike that having the court records scrutinized by the media and public won't be a problem?

You're assuming that Tom thinks he has something to hide. If it comes down to Katie objecting to his religious beliefs, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Tough call for the courts and tough case for Katie.

I do believe, however, that even the California courts can make exceptions and close family court files if there is cause, so if it is true that family court cases are public record there (which is, I think, kind of unusual) it's not a given that this particular case will be public

I really don't care what happens to any of them on a personal level, but I do find it interesting to watch how these things play out on the public stage. :watch:

It's like watching a more interesting version of chess--all the maneuvering and counter-maneuvering.

As Prancer said (implied), Reacher's size is an integral part of the story lines. Different case altogether.

I can see why they thought of Tom Cruise--action films are his thing and his name combined with it being an action film makes for a good box office bet. But Tom is a really good wiry athlete, all speed and fast reflexes, and his intensity lends itself well to fast action, while Reacher is big and deliberate and utterly brutal once he gets moving. People tend to assume he is stupid because of it, when he is (supposed to be) anything but. I figured Hollywood would script Reacher in the Bond mold--lots of sexual innuendo and throwaway punch lines and exploding cars--and Tom would be good at that, but that's not really Reacher.

But books rarely look like themselves on screen, so it's not like there's anything unusual in that.

dots
07-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't think that would matter. Cruise is the only father Suri has ever known, he has been with her since she was born. I don't see Katie doing that kind of number on her daughter, and I don't see any court even considering the argument.

errr yes it would. Especially if you're trying to keep your daughter away from the evil hands of a maniac.

Let's wait and see who the real father is. :watch:

milanessa
07-04-2012, 11:50 PM
errr yes it would. Especially if you're trying to keep your daughter away from the evil hands of a maniac.

Let's wait and see who the real father is. :watch:

never mind

michiruwater
07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
If by some crazy chance the rumors are true, Cruise is not Suri's father, and Katie proves it, Cruise has absolutely 0 chance.

Prancer
07-05-2012, 12:11 AM
If by some crazy chance the rumors are true, Cruise is not Suri's father, and Katie proves it, Cruise has absolutely 0 chance.

Are you sure of that? Because I don't think that's true at all. He is her father by law--he's on the birth certificate as her father, he has acted as her father all her life, and so he is for all intents and purposes her father, regardless of the DNA involved. Otherwise, custody disputes over children born from donated sperm or ovaries would be decided along VERY different lines than they actually are.

I think it's kind of weird that people think Tom isn't the father. I think she looks a lot like him--or rather like a blend of him and Katie, which is what one would expect. Again, Occam's Razor.

PRlady
07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I think it's kind of weird that people think Tom isn't the father. I think she looks a lot like him--or rather like a blend of him and Katie, which is what one would expect. Again, Occam's Razor.

ITA. No matter how it was accomplished, I think Tom's the dad. And, from personal experience, I know that men whose name is on the birth certificate and who raised the child are completely empowered as fathers in a custody fight. My first husband married his first wife when she was pregnant, the baby was "his" from the birth certificate onwards and was treated as such by the courts when they divorced.

michiruwater
07-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Just to clarify, I do think Tom's the father. I think Suri looks like him. She got the best features of both, IMO :)

Sparks
07-05-2012, 01:24 AM
The proof will be if Suri's adult teeth look weird like Tom's :lol:

numbers123
07-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Are you sure of that? Because I don't think that's true at all. He is her father by law--he's on the birth certificate as her father, he has acted as her father all her life, and so he is for all intents and purposes her father, regardless of the DNA involved. Otherwise, custody disputes over children born from donated sperm or ovaries would be decided along VERY different lines than they actually are.

This.

Lacey
07-05-2012, 03:10 AM
If I am not mistaken, Tom has put his PR people into full drive mode, talking about all the happies in his life right now, like publicizing his movie in is it Iceland and having a 50th birthday.

Prancer
07-05-2012, 05:25 AM
If I am not mistaken, Tom has put his PR people into full drive mode, talking about all the happies in his life right now, like publicizing his movie in is it Iceland and having a 50th birthday.

I doubt if his PR people have had to lift a finger for either one.

CynicElle
07-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought this was a pretty interesting article and answers a few of the questions I've seen come up here: Katie Holmes 'Biggest Nightmare' in Scientology History, Say Experts
(http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-cruise-katie-holmes-divorce-scientology-344687)

Cachoo
07-05-2012, 02:39 PM

I don't know if that will help. Both parties have said little and we are already having a long conversation about them, Suri and Scientology. Either Tom cooperates and Suri is not a Scientologist but Tom keeps his career. Or Tom fights for Suri (as a Scientologist) and his career tanks again because so many are wary of his religion and will side with Katie.