PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

julieann
07-02-2012, 02:32 AM
At the time that Tom filed for divorce from Nicole, it was common knowledge on tv and in the papers, don't know about internet, that she was supposed to receive a total of several millions(don't remember the amount) when they were married for 10 years and, surprise! Tom filed for divorce just months before the date and she didn't get the money!
Nice guy. NOT

He had no reason to wait, it takes years for a marriage to rot. Why would he pay her if he was going to file for a divorce?

Wyliefan
07-02-2012, 02:48 AM
I mean, Charlie Sheen is batshit but at least he's kinda winning.

You did not just say that. :lol:

overedge
07-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Why does everyone keep referring to a five year contract?

Because that's what the rumours said the contract was for. No one is saying this is the gospel truth, just that these were the contract terms that were being talked about.

MacMadame
07-02-2012, 03:26 AM
I thought the 10 year thing had to do with CA divorce law. Something about after 10 years pre-nups can be invalidated in favor of larger property settlements. I've heard people say that when other Hollywood marriages have ended just under rhe 10 year mark.
That's what people were saying at the time but the only rules I've seen have to do with alimony/spousal support.

overedge
07-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Potato, potatoe. ;)

You might not see a difference, but I guess Kidman thought there was enough of one that she didn't want to change over.

manleywoman
07-02-2012, 04:03 AM
I dont get why TC is such a force. Or why he's so popular. I think his acting is just okay, and he comes across as a complete arrogant idiot in most interviews. Why everyone is so enamored of him is beyond me. But he keeps selling box office tickets (well, I guess except for Valkyrie and Rock of Ages) so I guess I'm in the minority.

triple_toe
07-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Anyone who wants to know more about Scientology is "ok" should read this interview (http://www.rickross.com/reference/scientology/scien240.html) with L. Ron Hubbard's son.

It's a long read, but worth it. There's some really twisted stuff in there. Some excerpts:

Penthouse: Did he write the book off the top of his head? Did he do any real research?

Hubbard: No research at all. When he has answered that question over the years, his answer has changed according to which biography he was writing. Sometimes he used to write a new biography every week. He usually said that he had put thirty years of research into the book. But no, he did not. What he did, reaily, was take bits and pieces from other people and put them together in a blender and stir them all up --and out came Dianetics! All the examples in the book --some 200 "real-life experiences" --were just the result of his obsessions with abortions and unconscious states... In fact, the vast majority of those incidents were invented off the top of his head. The rest stem from his own secret life, which was deeply involved in the occult and black-magic. That involvement goes back to when he was sixteen, living in Washington. D.C. He got hold of the book by Alistair Crowley called The Book of Law. He was very interested in several things that were the creation of what some people call the Moon Child. It was basically an attempt to create an immaculate conception --except by Satan rather than by God. Another important idea was the creation of what they call embryo implants --of getting a satanic or demonic spirit to inhabit the body of a fetus. This would come about as a result of black-magic rituals, which included the use of hypnosis, drugs, and other dangerous and destructive practices. One of the important things was to destroy the evidence if you failed at this immaculate conception. That's how my father became obsessed with abortions. I have a memory of this that goes back to when I was six years old. It is certainly a problem for my father and for Scientology that I rememoer this. It was around 1939, 1940, that I watched my father doing something to my mother. She was lying on the bed and he was sitting on her, facing her feet. He had a coat hanger in his hand. There was blood all over the place. I remember my father shouting at me. "Go back to bed!" A little while later a doctor came and took her off to the hospital. She didn't talk about it for quite a number of years. Neither did my father.

Penthouse: What if someone who went thought the training just wanted to drop out?

Hubbard: There was no way. There were thousands of people, back in the fifties who would come in and receive various levels of training, such as a Hubbard Certified Auditor's Certificate or a Bachelor of Scientology or a Doctorate of Scientology, and if they didn't toe the mark as my father wanted them to, then we would cancel their certificates. And then he would notify the Scientologists in the area where the man lived not to have anything to do with him, to disconnect from him. And if information was available about him, we would spread that information around to his wife, his family, his children, where he worked, everywhere. It was straight blackmail. It was "Stay in the fold or else." Then, later on, they developed what they called an ethics review board. If you didn't toe the mark, you'd be put on trial in front of a kangaroo court and then be sentenced to maybe scrub floors. I heard that you had to walk around with a dirty rag tied around your arm like a badge. You could be made to do anything. You would be locked in a chain locker or handcuffed to a bed. This is in later years. We were simpler in the fifties, more direct. I just went out and beat them up.

Hubbard: Well, he didn't really want people killed, because how could you really destroy them if you just killed them? What he wanted to do was to destroy their lives, their families, their reputations, their jobs, their money, everything. My father was the type of person who, when it came to destruction, wanted to keep you alive for as long as possible, to torture you, punish you. If he chose to destroy you, he would love to see you lying in the gutter, strung out on booze and drugs, rolling in your own vomit, with your wife and children gone forever: no job, no money. He'd enjoy walking by and kicking you and saying to other people, "Look what I did to this man!" He's the kind of man who would pull the wings off flies and watch them stumble around. You see, this fits in with his Scientology beliefs, also. He felt that if you just died, your spirit would go out and get another body to live in. By destroying an enemy that way, you'd be doing him a favor. You were letting him out from under the thumb of L. Ron. Hubbard, you see?

michiruwater
07-02-2012, 04:30 AM
I actually think Tom is a pretty great actor when he has good material, and when he has bad material he's still pretty good. I know that might not be a shared view, but I can see why he keeps getting roles. He does them well. And MI:4 was one of the best action flicks I've seen. I mean, I was anxious for two hours in a row, but I did not go in expecting that level of exhilaration. YMMV.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-02-2012, 04:51 AM
(well, I guess except for Valkyrie and Rock of Ages).

I don't get how Valkyrie is considered a bomb.

It made over 200 million worldwide and the budget was around 75 million.

manhn
07-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I am all about Katie Holmes. I want her back on television! Just in terms of existing shows, she'd be great on Dallas as a former lover of John Ross or Happy Endings as Penny's bitchy step-sister.

michiruwater
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Valkyrie isn't considered to have been a bomb by any stretch of the imagination. It did much better than people thought it would, actually.

Rock of Ages... we'll see. It's made back a little over half its budget so far.

Cachoo
07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I actually think Tom is a pretty great actor when he has good material, and when he has bad material he's still pretty good. I know that might not be a shared view, but I can see why he keeps getting roles. He does them well. And MI:4 was one of the best action flicks I've seen. I mean, I was anxious for two hours in a row, but I did not go in expecting that level of exhilaration. YMMV.

I think Tom just regained his footing with the public with MI:4. But I think he is on shaky ground. If the divorce becomes loud and ugly he may lose the foothold he has because most people think his religion is just so weird. Katie's timing (whether spontaneous or planned) is spot-on.

Tom's nightmare: Going to a great restaurant and seeing Mimi, Nicole and Katie together having a nice, long, juicy lunch. Poor Tom.

smurfy
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't really like what I have read over the years about TC in the news/gossip.
But he has been involved with some good films over the years. And suprisingly, for someone that to me seems insecure in his personal life, professionally, I am impressed that he works with top people that could steal scenes from him, and are noted professionally with nominations and/or awards (Cuba Gooding Jr, Ken Watanabe).
I don't necessarily care to see all his films, but some have been worth it.

Latte
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Bearding for Reynolds, yes. Just as Scarlett did before her.
Oh really? Didn't know about that.

Latte
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I was always surprised and suspicious that Suri would be Tom's child.

First there were the adoptions of Nicole and Tom's children and then am I the only one remembering rumors of Nicole having miscarriages that Tom accused her of having an affair with one of her co-stars?

Cruise might be an ok actor - I can really judge since I don't like his movies - but he is so off the wall on so many things that I can not seriously get past the up on the couch screaming and jumping up and down behavior. Even on Jay Leno last week or the week before, he was somewhat subdued, but not much.

I remember the miscarriage and Tom claiming it wasn't his. Didn't they do a DNA test on the fetus or something and proved it was Tom's? Can we way bisarre? Just too too strange.

I think Tom is flat out crazy, but, JMO.