PDA

View Full Version : Personal Finance software: what do you use?

manleywoman
06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
For years I've used Quicken. I don't track my investment portfolio with it (I can log on to my financial planner's site for that) or for budgeting. I use it mainly to reconcile my bank account and keep detailed track of credit card spending, which allows me at the end of the year to print out a detailed report by category so I can see where I spent my money in order to prepare my taxes.

Now that I've upgraded to the latest Mac software, my version of Quicken doesn't work, and I need to either upgrade or change to another software.

I'm not interested in switching to QuickBooks, since I might as well stay with Quicken. But I was wondering if anyone here uses mint.com. It seems to do everything Quicken does, and is free. OR if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks

nubka
06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't use anything... :shuffle:

PrincessLeppard
06-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I did a trial of Mvelopes (I think that's the right spelling) and it was pretty good. But I don't have the organization to sit down and enter stuff every night. :shuffle:

FigureSpins
06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Sorry, we use Quickbooks.

mikey
06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Quicken is pure evil and should be destroyed. I have never used anything so non-intuitive.

I used to use a stand-alone program called "Quicken Rental Property Manager" until they upgraded and transferred those functions into Quicken Deluxe. It is just awful. If you find anything that actually works, I'd love to hear about it.

Gazpacho
06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I use Excel and a file cabinet. I recently got a scanner, and it's been very helpful in reducing the clutter. If you get a scanner, make sure you get something to back up your information *securely*. I would not trust web-based hosting services with such private information.

Also, a shredder is a must!

manleywoman
06-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I use Excel and a file cabinet. I recently got a scanner, and it's been very helpful in reducing the clutter. If you get a scanner, make sure you get something to back up your information *securely*. I would not trust web-based hosting services with such private information.

But it's already on the web, via all of our banks, credit card companies and mortgage companies having statements accessible online anyway. And Mint.com doesn't actually move money around . . . it just allows you to track and budget.

I understand your point though, of course. When I had the older Quicken software, I never interfaced it with the online part, and instead entered everything manually in the software. Now that I have so much less time, I just really love the idea of interfacing it all so it's automatic.

Gazpacho
06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
But it's already on the web, via all of our banks, credit card companies and mortgage companies having statements accessible online anyway. And Mint.com doesn't actually move money around . . . it just allows you to track and budget. It's online with individual institutions that already have your information whether they put it online or not. The reputable institutions have good security for online access.

But with a web-hosting service, not only is all your information online, but it's also accessible to more companies and all in one place. For instance, Dropbox, one of the most popular online storage places, has had security problems (http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2011/05/internet_security).

manleywoman
06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
But with a web-hosting service, not only is all your information online, but it's also accessible to more companies and all in one place. [/URL].

Yes, which is good and bad. Good so that I can check it from anywhere and on any device. Bad that it could be hacked (but again, a hacker can't move any money out, they could only see what I spent it on).

SkateUni
07-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I recommend Fresh Finance, been using it for some time. Very much like Quicken, but much better in my opinion. It has very clear screens and isn't cluttered.. The website is http://www.fortora.com -- they have a free trial, give it a shot I think you will like it.

LadyNit
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I use Mint. mint.com Love it.

HisWeirness
07-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I recommend Fresh Finance, been using it for some time. Very much like Quicken, but much better in my opinion. It has very clear screens and isn't cluttered.. The website is http://www.fortora.com -- they have a free trial, give it a shot I think you will like it.
ooh, I'll have to check it out.

I'm in the same boat as Manleywoman. We're still using Quicken 2007 at home on the mac. We're planning to hold onto my laptop just to run Quicken 2007 if necessary. The newer Quicken Essentials for Mac has mostly negative reviews and lacks key features of Quicken 2007. With Quicken 2007, we've been able to link it to our bank/retirement accounts and credit card accounts online to automatically download transactions. There are some accounts that we can't use this feature with so we have to enter them by hand.

barbk
07-04-2012, 12:23 AM
YNAB. You Need a Budget. Runs on Mac or Windows, and has cloudsync if you use a droid or iPhone.

I wish they'd created it twenty years ago. Absolutely fabulous.

One huge advantage is that they have a very liberal trial policy -- and you don't even have to provide a cc -- if you don't like it, don't follow-up and buy it. Their trial period is 34 days.

www.ynab.com

algonquin
07-04-2012, 01:49 AM
I use Mint. mint.com Love it.I tried Mint, but I wasn't comfortable with the fact that it is an on-line application.

barbk
07-04-2012, 04:37 AM
I tried Mint, but I wasn't comfortable with the fact that it is an on-line application.

YNAB (at least on the desktop/laptop version) keeps all your data on your computer.