PDA

View Full Version : I was just fired

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

olympic
06-28-2012, 01:23 PM
After 7 years ... Not told I did anything damaging to the company, just that '[I] wasn't where I should be after this amount of time on the job'. It's debatable, really. I think there were some political machinations involved, but nothing I can really prove. They had my replacement by the next day, so there was something going on!!

I've been thru the whole range of emotions and I'm trying hard to move forward. But, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should say to a prospective employer about why I left my last job. Obviously, people with this 'black mark' eventually get re-employed, but it's really threading a needle, isn't it?

This has never happened to me before, so any suggestions will help.

(weak smile)

Holley Calmes
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
I am so sorry Olympic! I know how you feel. I was "let go" from a place I worked for ten years because the wacky boss lady told people I was trying to take over her job. (I had been extra supportive while she was out grieving after her husband died....and I wouldn't have had her job for anything!)

But it still hurt. It's what you do all day. It's a part of your identity, but not YOU.

Can you afford to take a little time off? Will you get workman's comp? I did-I took the summer off and wrote a murder mystery about a museum near Atlanta much like where I had worked. I killed everybody off that had hurt me, and it was fabulous therapy! Of course, I doubt I will ever print it, but it was fun trying to figure out how to off the mean-bad woman.

Pamper yourself if you can and don't rush off looking for another job right away if you don't have to. Take a couple of weekws off anyway.

People get let go every day, and I think every corporation knows how whimsical this can be. But I would make sure I had a few co-workers from the old job to use as references who would speak in your favor.

Good luck and big hugs!

berthesghost
06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
So sorry to hear this! It sucks. It only happened to me once and even though I was shocked, I asked during the meeting to be able to say I was laid off. My main concern was unemployment, but also some "save face" ability too. Especially in this economy, you'll probably be able to say you were laid off and not get called out. The place I worked for was really crazy with a high turnover, so I was surprised that it's reputation proceeded me into interviews. It was a bit of a struggle for me to always put a positive spin and not badmouth while explaining the reasons for leaving, but it was easier when the interviewer knew already what a crappy place it was. Sometimes it worked in a sort of "oh, if you could survive x years there, you can make it anywhere" kind of way. The place that did hire me really focused on what i could do, not where I had been, so it all worked out. Keep the faith, it will happen.

Buzz
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Are you unionized? If so could appeal your dismissal or if not see if your local labour board offers an avenue to at least register an unfair dismissal complaint. I mysef got laid off once too after seven years from a unionized job and officially put on the "recall list" but I was done with thecompany and job. I now work two part time jobs to make ends meet but I'm actually much happier now. Plus my health is much better as well.

peibeck
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
(((olympic))) Sending positive thoughts your way.

milanessa
06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry, olympic. :(

NeilJLeonard
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Good luck. You'll do well if you are bilingual.

NJL

attyfan
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
You are in my thoughts. Also, check with your state's unemployment insurance office. Some states, such as CA, will give benefits even if the paperwork says "fired", as long as it was not for any kind of misconduct.

BlueRidge
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
That is really awful, Olympic. I'm so sorry.

Did they give you any out, such as technically letting your resign?

Rex
06-28-2012, 02:59 PM
:fragile: Olympic, I am so sorry that you have to go through this - to be let go after such a long time with a company is like a gut punch, it is. Something very, very similar happened to me in March 2009. You must be feeling something awful. Are they going to help you with job placement or even references and resources???

Once again, my sympathies. I know how that shit feels.

pixie cut
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
You are in my thoughts. Also, check with your state's unemployment insurance office. Some states, such as CA, will give benefits even if the paperwork says "fired", as long as it was not for any kind of misconduct.

Virtually every state has unemployment insurance in cases of termination except in cases of willful misconduct. Don't hesitate. As it is, it takes two to three weeks to kick in, so act immediately.

I've never been fired, but I have been laid off. I can't advise on the emotional aspect, but I do know some of the dynamics of the situation.

Depending on where you live, the labor dept/unemployment office, may have various resources such as resume writing, training, information, etc. Ask about them and use them if they're available.

See if you can get some kind of reference from the job. Unless there was misconduct you can usually get some kind of reference.

genevieve
06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry olympic :(

Did they offer you any severance? Immediate dismissal not tied to willful misconduct seems severe without severance. You should definitely file for unemployment. Did they say anything to you about contesting a claim? Often if a person in released not for cause (sometimes even with cause) employers will allow unemployment claims to move forward.

what a shitty way to handle turnover. :(

Yazmeen
06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Sending a hug to you, olympic, so very sorry.

First of all, before you lose any memory of what happened, write down everything that they said and you said. This is important for any potential legal issues later. What did they give you on paper? What did you have to sign? When you feel a little more clearheaded, look at everything they gave you.

At this point you need to take a deep breath, give yourself a little time, and regroup. You may at one point want to try and keep it positive and ask your former employer to let you know what you could have done better for future improvement. And definintely get in touch with old coworkers as suggested by others and any other colleagues in the filed who might help. Try and chill out this weekend and give yourself a break.

Smiley0884
06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
How crappy! I been there before too and it sucks. I didn't technically get fired, but they didn't renew my contract because of a very silly reason...my Father won a company sponsored contest, other entrants were furious and complained to the company I was cheating...It was a silly FREE raffle that anyone can enter, with a menial prize to be won.

My manager's boss called me on the last day of my contract to let me know they didn't think I was a right "fit" and they were letting me go. I was really confused...I had gone above and beyond for the company, including working many extra events that required quite a bit of traveling at my expense, and many refused to pitch in and work those events. Meanwhile, many others who had a fair to average performance with the company had their contracts renewed. I appreciated the fact that someone high up in the company was calling me to let me know, but it also felt a bit impersonal since I had little interaction with him.

A few days later I actually ran into my former boss on the subway, and he let me know the real reason I was let go was the stupid raffle, and the "right fit" excuse was just a BS canned reason. I was FURIOUS. :mad: I suspected that was it, but I'm really glad I ended up running into him, because as angry as I was, I'm still glad I got closure.

I really hope everything works out olympic. 7 years a long time, and it can be so jarring to lose that "routine", when it wasn't your decision. I agree with those who say if you can live off of unemployment or severance, you should definitely go for it. It's summer time, enjoy yourself! Take 2 weeks to yourself to clear your head before you start the interviewing/application process. You'll find yourself refreshed with a positive perspective going into a new job. Good luck!!! :cheer2:

FunnyBut
06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
First of all, I'm so sorry Olympic. I don't think it's a big deal nowadays to be let go, if an interviewer asks you why you left, I'd just really discuss other issues (ie I'm more interested in 'x', I'd like to work closer home) than that I was let go. I would not volunteer I was terminated unless very specifically asked.

It happened to me once, too. I could totally see the new boss wanted me gone, and he started giving me ridiculous assignments (ie 'arrange new IT directives with the Board of Directors'. Really? ME? A database administrator? :lol:). At one point I sat in on the interview for the guy I knew was going to be my replacement. It was a truly an intimidating and stressful period, but my take-a-way is that if someone has the power to remove you, and they want you gone, your days are limited. Rather than stress and worry about why you were let go, put all your energy and focus on where you'll be going next. Don't focus on whether your own shortcomings led you to be let go (after all, everyone has weaknesses), rather focus on what you do well and how you can benefit your next employer.

I was very fortunate. The very next day after I was walked out of my old job, I did an interview and was hired on the spot. I still told them I needed two weeks before I started (after all, they didn't know I was terminated, they didn't specifically ask, and I didn't tell. I just demonstrated my knowledge and the interviewer said I was exactly who they'd been trying to find). I applied for unemployment for that 2 week period. Technically, you only get unemployment if you were laid off, not terminated for 'performance reasons' as I was. But my nasty old boss had also been reported to my former company's HR by 16 other people (he made his whole team miserable, not just me), I told that to State Employment Commission, and they sided with me. They also grilled my old company's HR department, who in turn grilled my old boss. Two weeks of unemployment pay is just a small bonus, but getting a chance to slap back my old boss was priceless. :lol: