PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir Comparisons to Gordeeva & Grinkov

Pages : [1] 2 3

skatingfan12
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I've noticed Virtue and Moir get compared numerous times to Gordeeva and Grinkov, the ice dance version of them. I like V&M, but I honestly don't see the similarities.

Anyone care to explain?

briancoogaert
06-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Ask it to the one who say it ! :P
You know, G&G comparison has been used so many times for any pair with a delicate and elegant girl and a strong boy.

gingercrush
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
The only similarity is is that Ice Dancing is much more similar to Pairs skating than it use to be.

Moka-Ananas
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
The only "similarities" I see are just that they share Zueva as choreographer and that V/M skated to Mahler.
That's it.

Emdee
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Both couples have the "it" factor and an absolutely amazing connection. They both skate as one on the ice.

Macassar88
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
There's a YouTube video that highlights all these differences. I'll look for it tonight.

gingercrush
06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
"it" factor? I love Virtue & Moir but I don't think they have that.

tut88
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh please !
I don't see any comparision

besides both couples had Zueva as Choreographer

that's all !

girlscouse62
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I think there is an interview out there where Marina herself compares the two couples.

Vash01
06-28-2012, 05:05 PM
"it" factor? I love Virtue & Moir but I don't think they have that.

ITA.

What I do see is smooth gliding across the ice, and Virtue's posture. Other than that I see no similarities.

bmcg
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Both teams had/have mad skating skills that give the impression they are floating over the ice, making the difficult look easy. They move and interact with each other in a similar way as well. The females have great lines and move their bodies beautifully. The men have/had great lines and respond to their partners in a manner many women would love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIx3ysk22w

It doesn't have to be an insult to G&G that people see the similarities between the two.

aka_gerbil
06-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I disagree on V/M and the "it" factor, but I suspect that's an "agree to disagree" situation. I think they have "it" in spades, whereas with G/G, while I've always marveled at their technical ability and appreciated their programs and performances, I've never been able to get into them as much as everyone else does. Goodness knows I've tried though. It's honestly one of the things I don't understand about myself as skating fan. I watch and I can see why they're considered the best, but I don't feel moved by them like I want to be or feel I should be.

I think a lot of times the comparison comes from those interested in non-skating factors. :shuffle:

On a sort of "zoomed-out" level, the big similarities I see between G/G and V/M are that they share a choreographer, have fantastic technical ability and chemistry, and are among the greats in their respective disciplines. Beyond that though, I think the teams are different.

I have wondered if when it comes to Zoueva and her own comparison of the teams if there's not a bit of trying to find part of what was lost/cut short when Sergei died in another team. I'm doing a bad job with the wording, but maybe she's sort of tried to fill a hole on a personal level with V/M?

ETA: I think bmcg's post perfectly sums up how I few the similarities on a "zoomed-out" sort of level.

leafygreens
06-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Because V/M & G/G are/were teams both madly in love with their on-ice partners.

laceup
06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
V/M aren't in love with each other but they sure look it when they skate. Watching that video made me miss G/G :( They are my all time favourite pair team :D

Subway
06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Skating skills, chemistry, it factor, charisma, good looks.

Very different on ice personalities and on-ice relationship, particularly the males are completely different types. Both strong and masculine, and great partners, but different temperment and expression. Grinkov was calm, sure, powerful and strong. Scott Moir is anything but calm (in a good way) and can at times almost appear to go OTT in performance, but he pulls it off. The women are also very different, not so much opposites like Grinkov and Moir.