PDA

View Full Version : Female skaters with best Salchows

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gingercrush
06-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Triple Salchows that is unless you want to show an amazing Double Salchow.

Triple Salchow the triple nearly everyone does but never seems to be remarked as someone's best jump or their signature jump. Under COP majority of skaters are unlikely to repeat the jump as it can't be used in combination except for a sequence. Points base is lower than Loop, Flip, Lutz and Axel. For two talented skaters, Yamaguchi and Asada it was a jump they feared. Yamaguchi routinely fell performing a Salchow and Asada has barely used it in her repertoire and if she did would fall on it.

I think this might have done before too but I don't remember the details and unable to search old threads.

What skaters would you say had the Salchow as their signature jump and secondly who has the best salchows?

I can think of skaters that pull off good Triple Salchows. Three examples Kim, Kwan and Slutskaya. But when I think about Kim it always goes back to the Triple Toe and Triple Lutz or Triple Flip. Kwan I go back to the Toe and Slutskaya the Lutz and Loop. Indeed Kim could score well off a Triple Salchow but it often seemed to be a jump she could falter on.

Lipinski was doing Triple Salchow-Triple Loop combinations. Cohen would repeat the Salchow and perform a Triple Toe-Triple Salchow sequence. But both examples I would not call the Salchow their signature jump.

The closest three skaters I could get where the Salchow was a signature was Trenary, Bonaly and Ando. Trenary thanks to the awesome one foot axel into Triple Salchow. Bonaly due to pulling off her awesome Back Flip and then performing a Triple Salchow and Ando because she pulled off a Quad Salchow. But all three examples don't seem to work either. Trenary's signature was the one foot axel. Bonaly the back flip, the salchow was secondary and Triples for Ando I always think is the Loop and Lutz.

What skaters would you say had the Salchow as their signature jump and secondly who has the best Triple Salchows?

Habs
06-28-2012, 04:24 AM
Joannie Rochette, hands down.

Macassar88
06-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Kostner has a nice one

falling_dance
06-28-2012, 04:39 AM
I don't know how well or often she landed one, but Petra Burka is a skater I closely associate with the jump, as she was the first woman to land it in competition.

magnolia
06-28-2012, 04:42 AM
I have not seen Mao fall on a salchow, only pop it.

When she was younger, Mao used to practice quad salchow (and quad loop):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEgPt-faII

and so salchow was not a problem jump for her to begin with, but it it true that she did not put in a salchow in her performance for a few years before Olympics. However, I think that was probably more because it made little sense point-wise to make the effort to keep her salchow up to date.

Right now, I think Mao is in the midst of re-mastering her salchow (not only her salchow but all her jumps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKXCZzB_S8) and we will have to wait until the new season to see if her efforts will bear fruit.

As for the best salchow, Miki's salchow is the best, I think.

pinky166
06-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Polina Shelepen and Liza Tuktamysheva both have nice 3sals, and have done 3sal-3toe combinations in competition. Korobeynikova also has a nice 3sal. Gold's 3sal is humongous like her other jumps.

TwizzlerS
06-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Jill Trenary had signature move - one-foot axel into 3 salchow.

casken
06-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Tonya Harding. Her's just flew.

all_empty
06-28-2012, 06:59 AM
90s

Surya Bonaly - great lift
Tonya Harding - all her jumps were great
Nancy Kerrigan - quick setup, tight rotation
Michelle Kwan - clean and precise
Irina Slutskaya - strong edge jumps
Brittany McConn - just floated

00s

Joannie Rochette - effortless

essence_of_soy
06-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Liz Manley
Tonya Harding
Katarina Witt
Elaine Zayak
Tracy Wainmann

icellist
06-28-2012, 07:05 AM
On the top of my head of recent skaters that haven't been discussed yet:

Laura Lepisto (take off and landing edges very strong)
Mirai Nagasu (beautiful back in her junior programs)
Minjeong Kwak (deep edge in entrances)
Joelle Forte (transitions before and after make it more difficult)
Haruka Imai (great flow)
Sarah Meier (a better jump for her)
Courtney Hicks (very fast)

RunnersHigh
06-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I have not seen Mao fall on a salchow, only pop it.

When she was younger, Mao used to practice quad salchow (and quad loop):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEgPt-faII

and so salchow was not a problem jump for her to begin with, but it it true that she did not put in a salchow in her performance for a few years before Olympics. However, I think that was probably more because it made little sense point-wise to make the effort to keep her salchow up to date.

Right now, I think Mao is in the midst of re-mastering her salchow (not only her salchow but all her jumps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKXCZzB_S8) and we will have to wait until the new season to see if her efforts will bear fruit.

2005-2006
TEB, CoC, GPF: No Attempt

2006-2007
SA, NHK, GPF, FC, World: No Attempt

2007-2008
TEB, SC, GPF, FC, World: No Attempt

2008-2009
TEB: 1S
NHK: 3S 0.8
GPF: 3S 0.6
World: No Attempt

2009-2010
TEB, RC, FC, OLY, World: No Attempt

2010-2011
NHK: 3S -0.5
TEB: 3S 0.3
FC: 3S -0.6
World: 1S

2011-2012
NHK: 3S 0.4
RC: 2S
FC: 2S
World: 3S< -0.7

Before the OG, she tried the jump as above.
For 7 yrs in the senior circuit at ISU official, 4 times with slight positive GOEs. And instead of a Lutz or a Toe, IIRC.

casken
06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Brittany McConn - just floated

Ah yes! I remember her.

Very similar sal technique to Harding actually. Her loop was good too.

RumbleFish
06-28-2012, 08:04 AM
On the top of my head of recent skaters that haven't been discussed yet:

Laura Lepisto (take off and landing edges very strong)
Mirai Nagasu (beautiful back in her junior programs)
Minjeong Kwak (deep edge in entrances)
Joelle Forte (transitions before and after make it more difficult)
Haruka Imai (great flow)
Sarah Meier (a better jump for her)
Courtney Hicks (very fast)

Didn't Laura often double her 3S?
Her Vancouver long program was a sohl, except she doubled out on 3S IIRC.

BTW, I don't recall Miss Nagasu doing one recently.

RumbleFish
06-28-2012, 08:14 AM
For me, Irina Slutskaya wins this one hands down.

She was super consistent with it, and usually covered a hugh chunk of ice.
Actually, I don't recall her missing one in major competitions. Could anyone enlighten me if otherwise?

I think it could be marked as her best jump, since she fell while doing the other candidate, the 3loop, at Torino long program.
Watching her fall made me :fragile: at the time.