PDA

View Full Version : 1997 U.S Nationals ladies event

Pages : [1] 2 3

judgejudy27
06-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Does anyone remember the 1997 National ladies event well. The one where Lipinski made her huge breakthrough by winning the title, Bobek came back from a bad short with a respectable free to make the team, Kwan and Kwiatkowski both surprisingly bombed (especialy Kwan), and Nikidinov made her mark for the first time.

I thought the judging in the free skate was all wrong. The free skate results were 2. Bobek, 3. Kwan, 4. Nikidinov but IMO should have been 2. Nikidinov, 3. Bobek, 4. Kwan. Nikidinov should have ended up with the silver overall that year IMO if the free skate were judged properly. Bobek did only 4 triples and her skate was nothing special, even on the artistic side of things. Kwan had a meltdown, still managed 4 triples, but had 4 major mistakes, and looked terrified by a third of the way through the program. What did some of you who remember the event and the performances think.

Karpenko
06-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I remember thinking that I never want to remember this competition again. ;)

It was also the competition that turned me into a Kwan fan. :HA!:

Alex Forrest
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Nikodinov's placement always bothered me. I agree, she should have been second in the LP. Bobek did her 3Bobek which is basically just a 3flip, two 3toes and a 3sal. Not one of these jumps was in combination. And the fact that Kwan got two first place ordinals for that LP is laughable, but it WAS USNationals, so you'd expect that.
I thought Nikodinov was exquisite and her back was never as straight again.

FunnyBut
06-28-2012, 04:16 PM
It was also the competition that turned me into a Kwan fan. :HA!:

Mostly I remember how gorgeous that Kwan SP was, I would have put in first despite the error on the combo. Totally in a different class that the other programs.

Marco
06-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Bobek did her 3Bobek which is basically just a 3flip, two 3toes and a 3sal. Not one of these jumps was in combination.

She did a 3toe2toe combination early on.

Marco
06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Mostly I remember how gorgeous that Kwan SP was, I would have put in first despite the error on the combo. Totally in a different class that the other programs.

IIRC her short was clean at Nationals. She messed up the combo at Worlds.

essence_of_soy
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
I enjoyed some of the lower - ranked ladies such as Lisa Bell, Alizah Allen, Amber Corwin and Karen Kwan.

Too bad Sydne Vogel withdrew due to injury. I loved her skating that season, and she had a real shot at making the world team after a third place at Skate America and winning the World Junior title.

Vash01
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
The only thing I remember is Kwan had a meltdown (she was going through puberty monster, I believe) and I did not think she would place higher than 3rd, so her 2nd place was a surprise to me. Tara totally rocked with her 3R3R combination and other cleanly landed jumps. I remember staying up late at night with my little nephew who also wanted to see the competition to its end. I agreed with Tara's win, and felt sorry for Kwan, but I don't remember much of anyone else's skate. I did watch Angela Nikodinov's skate (was it Cinderella, in a blue dress?) later on my VHS, and liked her. She had not developed the lovely artistry at that time but she had a very good jumping technique, and a great layback spin. I have an indelible memory of Kwan's beautiful costume and the terrible time she had on the ice. I am glad she grew out of it very fast, and gave a respectable performance at worlds.

kwanatic
06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
It's definitely the worse performance of Michelle's career. I honestly think that was the only true meltdown she ever had. After that performance when she'd make mistakes, she was able to put it behind her and finish respectably rather than fall apart at the seams, which is what she did here. I think she was having her go with the puberty monster in addition to the skate problems, plus the immense pressure of defending her title for the first time. All of it got to her and she imploded.

I do remember that despite Michelle's "failures" that season (a silver medal at nationals and worlds, something these US ladies now would give their right blade for), the programs for that year were absolutely stunning. Dream of Desdemona is one of my favorite SPs ever and Michelle had a number of beautiful performances to it. Taj Mahal was another gem from Lori. They kept with the exotic theme that year but it was a very different feel from Salome IMO...

Louis
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
I loved Bobek's free. She was so in shape under Fassi. That night, she had blinding speed, enormous jumps, and so much footwork. The program was exuberant, musical, and built throughout. 5.5/5.9 from me. I can't argue anyone that night having higher presentation marks. Lipinski perhaps deserved equal.

Nikodinov had amazing technical proficiency and wonderfully taut lines and posture, but the Cinderella program was a bit "stop and start" for my liking. I felt like it never got going, partially because of the music edits. 5.8/5.6.

UGG
06-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Was Lipinski on the radar for the title that year? I am sure Kwan was the overwhelming favorite but just wondering if she was seen as a "spoiler" of some sorts, or even a challenger... before the event started.

I remember watching it, but I didn't know about skating message boards on the internet at that time!

leafygreens
06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I thought Kwan messed up because of boot problems?

kwanatic
06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
I thought Kwan messed up because of boot problems?

She'd been having issues all season so that was part of it, but more than that I think she got scared. After all, it was her first time defending the title instead of chasing it. It just gives you appreciation for how much mental toughness it takes to defend a title...that's probably why no one has defended that title (or worlds for that matter) since Michelle.

Nomad
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Was Lipinski on the radar for the title that year? I am sure Kwan was the overwhelming favorite but just wondering if she was seen as a "spoiler" of some sorts, or even a challenger... before the event started.

I remember watching it, but I didn't know about skating message boards on the internet at that time!

She was the bronze medalist the previous year, so I'd say yes, she was on the radar.

Alex Forrest
06-28-2012, 07:36 PM
She did a 3toe2toe combination early on.

Oops, thanks, I guess that was 1998 Nationals that she did no combos.