PDA

View Full Version : USA Gymnastics Olympic Trials 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67

Scintillation
07-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I agree. If they give her a 9.5 in London for a stuck vault I will be pissed. If there is any piece of gymnastics in this quad that is worth a 10, it is her vault.

Actually, I think Kohei's gymnastics should be given higher E scores. He did win the AA title last year by a HUGE margin, but I thought his floor and his vault should've gotten higher E scores. I don't know where they found some of those deductions.

judgejudy27
07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Kohei was undermarked in E scores in all his event finals. He should have easily won high bar over that code whoreing Chinese with neither impressive tricks or good form. The judges want to spread the wealth I guess, and are scared of him winning AA events by 5 points or being able to have a 4 fall competition and still win.

On another note wouldnt it be the all time travesty for gymnastics if the horrendous Zou Kai defends all 3 of his gold medals (which is quite possible) and ends up a 6 time Olympic Gold medalist. If there is any further proof greatness should not always be measured in medals he is the poster boy for that. The fact Tim Daggett worships him is all the more reason to not like him.

Domshabfan
07-04-2012, 05:58 PM
^ I think the longer she does this vault, the more people in gymnastics develop the same opinion. She was getting 16.1 in Jesolo for vaults not as big as the ones at Olympic Trials and with a .3 step, and competing in the same competition as Grishina and Mustafina to boot.

Mustafina did not compete at Jesolo...

Cyn
07-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I've found some must-see routines that weren't shown on night 2:

McKayla Maroney vault 2 (ok so actually it was slightly better than Nationals then! shouldve been 9.8 or 9.9 IMO relative to field):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87OCep-ha4

Sarah Finnegan vault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDZ-K9WbXA&feature=channel&list=UL

Maroney Balance Beam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCNRysczKU

(I really thought she was fabulous there, beautiful)

Bross on beam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LyOZT2Qp1tE :)

Still no luck with Vega FX, Li BB, Dowell/Finnegan UB, or Price UB which was actually pretty nice, but I think the above were the nicer routines I can find that weren't shown on NBC. Finnegans floor was also nice but I think she did it best at Nationals one of the two days.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link -- the person who uploaded these clips has two playlists on her channel (one for each day of the Trials), and it was wonderful to be able to watch so many additional routines. It also highlighted just how shitty NBC's coverage was over the weekend .

My sister and two nieces (who are 8 and 6) also asked me to thank you :). Both of them have been taking gymnastics since they each turned 4, so they were really psyched to watch NBC's coverage. Unfortunately, between the network showing so little of the actual gymnastics and the broadcast time (9-11 at night) which, with a bedtime of 10:00, they ended up missing half of what was actually aired, so I sent them an email with the links to both playlists.

From what my sister said, you saved the day for them :D :lol: - she said both of them were grinning from ear to ear and jumping up and down with excitement. I only wish I had a picture of their reactions to share their appreciation and how happy they were to be able to watch it.

Karpenko
07-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Awww thats adorable :) Tell them they are very welcome, and I'm glad that they enjoyed the routines and have such great taste in gymnastics! :cheer: If they missed any coverage of the actual telecast I also have links to downloads of both nights from torrents that I've found online. :)

(and you know I always stick my foot in my mouth 1 out of every 6 times DomShabfan ;) Thanks for clearing that up!)

Scintillation
07-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Ugh i still feel awful for Becca but it was nice to see her land that dismount.

Loves_Shizuka
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Btw, is coverage of gymnastics always this dramamtic/hammy in the US?

It had me :rofl: in places. And not intentionally.

centerstage01
07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Alas, yes. Al Trautwig is just gawd-awful. Elfi Schlegel rarely says anything worth listening to. Tim Daggett could be really good if he had decent people with him.

gingercrush
07-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Alas, yes. Al Trautwig is just gawd-awful. Elfi Schlegel rarely says anything worth listening to. Tim Daggett could be really good if he had decent people with him.

Yeah but he is always going that will be one-tenth. It is bad. Still after London ends and I rewatch gymnastics I'll certainly check out. NBC's 2000 fluff is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k884DOlx86M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxojWc13f4I

OnyxRose81
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Elfi away from NBC is awesome. Her past commentary for CBC was awesome. NBC is the one who wants them to pander to the lowest common denominator. In their early days on NBC, Elfi was good and Tim was okay but it's just gotten ridiculous now. Al hates gymnastics and wouldn't be good no matter what. I wish they would have gotten Terry Gannon. He didn't get figure skating but he learned to genuinely be interested in it. Al could care less.

Loves_Shizuka
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I didn't necessarily mean the commentary - although the main guy (Al Trautwig?) certainly does ham it up - just the whole composition of production was very... OTT. lol. It was almost like some kind of edge-of-your-seat movie. ha!

pollyanna
07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
They do that all the time. For some reason, they think people won't tune in unless there is drama, drama, drama.

Will Nastia make the team?

Who will win, Jordyn or Gabby?

Will Maroney recover from her terrible Nationals FX fall? (show Maroney's fall ad nauseum)

Will Rebecca Bross regain her 2009-2010 form and competitiveness?

Can Sacramone stay on the beam this time around? (show Beijing beam fall ad nauseum)

Who will make the team?

Show Marta Karolyi's facial expressions throughout telecast.

Be sure to show gymnasts standing around instead of you know, actual routines.

Oh, and will Nastia make the team?

Why can't they treat gymnastics and figure skating like real sports and just show the competition? You know, like in basketball, football and baseball?

kylet3
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I missed watching Lori-Strong Ballard or Carol Angela Orchard on CBC because they actually told you what the moves were instead of "This move" or "This release skill" to appeal to the armchair crowd that only. I loved both of their commentating, I learned what the skills and releases were and now I've completely forgot what they are and dont have the opportunity know because the three NBC commentators treat the fans like dimwits.

Rob
07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Why can't they treat gymnastics and figure skating like real sports and just show the competition? You know, like in basketball, football and baseball?

Thank you - shots of the sidelines are shown only during time outs or by replay after the play. Not while the play is on while ignoring the actual play. Can you imagine if during a football game, they showed Peyton Manning's face on the sidelines and talked about his injury instead of showing the plays on the field? The horror!

skatingfan5
07-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Thank you - shots of the sidelines are shown only during time outs or by replay after the play. Not while the play is on while ignoring the actual play. Can you imagine if during a football game, they showed Peyton Manning's face on the sidelines and talked about his injury instead of showing the plays on the field? The horror!I've seen various sports coverage which comes appallingly close to this (baseball is particularly bad). Especially egregious are the "interviews" with coaches while the game is going on -- often missing an important or exciting play because of the pointless chit-chit between network guy and coach. :mad: They try to "fix" things by showing a replay of what was happening on the field. :rolleyes: