PDA

View Full Version : USA Gymnastics Olympic Trials 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

vesperholly
07-04-2012, 01:01 AM
I have to agree with all of the :rolleyes: comments about this commentating team. NBC uses the same teams for Olympics after Olympics, so it really stinks when they keep using a bad team like this one for gymnastics - Al's terrible, but the other two are just as unenjoyable (and un-edifying).

Thank goodness swimming has Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines.

The lady who does the diving commentary is fabulous, too. I know very little about diving other than height + gymnastics + water, and she always makes it more enjoyable and easier to understand. Mary something?

centerstage01
07-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Cute pic of Gabby and Aly (http://twitpic.com/a3k2es)

I saw USA Gymnastics re-tweeted Aly's comment about that picture: "Did I witness a murder?" :rofl:

Fridge_Break
07-04-2012, 01:28 AM
The lady who does the diving commentary is fabulous, too. I know very little about diving other than height + gymnastics + water, and she always makes it more enjoyable and easier to understand. Mary something?

Cynthia Potter. :)

Dan Hicks has done gymnastics on rare occasions a long time ago (circa 1997-2000), Terry Gannon did Pac Rims (?) one year and it was the most refreshing thing ever.

Cyn
07-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Hopefully I'm not alone in this, but since I haven't followed gymnastics closely for at least the past decade, I really enjoy reading the PBP thread here. That being said, though, there are a lot of terms and acronyms that leave me completely bumfuzzled.

At some point before the Olympics, is there a kind soul here that could create a "Gymnastics for Dummies" sort of primmer explaining what some them are by explaining the acronyms and/or if an element is difficult to explain, providing a youtube link demonstrating how a move should be done if correct? Several are easy to figure out, like various positions like tucks, layouts, and pike positions, but there are some that I'm guessing are named after gymnasts that "created" them, like the Yurchenko and the Tsukahara (those I do know -- the Yurchenko in particular as that was the vault that Julissa Gomez broke her neck while attempting it during practice at the WCs years ago). I've seen "DTY" written several times, and I have no idea what that is :o. Ditto for "amanar" (which I gather is a very difficult vault that few gymnasts can do or do well/safely).

Any help in understanding these things so that watching the Olympic coverage would be greatly appreciated, especially if NBC's coverage in London is as craptastic as it was during the Trials. Good lord, I thought the NBC's commentary of figure skating was atrocious, but they way they covered the Trials over the past week made their FS coverage seem knowledgable and intelligent by comparison :yikes:.

FSfan107
07-04-2012, 03:47 AM
And I still really hope Vega wasn't foolish enough to go pro.

Still trying to figure that out. She was in an ad with Shawn and McKayla for Secret deodorant (I think that was it?) so...I worry.

Just to add some clarification, Vega has not gone pro.

mkats
07-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Cyn, a double twisting yurchenko is a DTY. An Amanar is a 2.5 twist yurchenko, named after Simona Amanar. :)

Cyn
07-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Cyn, a double twisting yurchenko is a DTY. An Amanar is a 2.5 twist yurchenko, named after Simona Amanar. :)

Thanks for the explanation :).

I was reading something somewhere (guess I need some ginko-biloba) about a tumbling pass named after Kurt Thomas (is that the guy?) that was banned from women's gymnastics because it was dangerous. What exactly was did that element entail? Am I in the right ballpark by thinking that it was disallowed for women because (at the risk of sounding sexist) that it requires more power and strength than women can generate when compared to men's gymnastics?

I'm much more of a fan of Women's gymnastics than Men's - I don't find the Rings or the Pommel Horse all that interesting; the High Bar is my favorite event for Men's gymnastics, followed by the Vault, whereas I love all of the Women's events.

FTR, I'll be glad when this year is over, because if I have to hear Ali Raisman's floor music (Hava Nagila on Meth) much more I may have to convert from Judaism :o :lol:.

Of the up-and-comers, I think Sarah Finnegan is my favorite, and I was excited that she was named as an alternate. I hope she can really develop over the next quad and be a contender for the All-Around in Rio. Also, even though there seems to be a good bit of disdain for Ali Raisman (I can agree with her lack of polish on the Bars as the lack of toe point and creation of nice lines was noticeable to me even though I rarely watch gymnastics), I think as a member of this team, her experience and seemingly calm demeanor will provide a calming anchor as well as a motivator/mentor of sorts for the US Team.

galaxygirl
07-04-2012, 04:19 AM
MostepanovaFan (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mostepanovafan+guide&oq=mostepanovafan+&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0.24624.28316.0.30770.9.8.1.0.0.0 .108.784.5j3.8.0...0.0.CpDuT_X5pXU) has some really good videos that explain a bunch of the elements.

Also there's a thread (http://www.intlgymnast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13404) on gymnastics terminology at the International Gymnast forum, but you need to sign up for an account to view it.

Thanks for the explanation :).

I was reading something somewhere (guess I need some ginko-biloba) about a tumbling pass named after Kurt Thomas (is that the guy?) that was banned from women's gymnastics because it was dangerous. What exactly was did that element entail? Am I in the right ballpark by thinking that it was disallowed for women because they (at the risk of sounding tacky) that it requires more power and strength than women can generate when compared to men's gymnastics?

It involves rolling out of a somersault (on your head). It was banned because it's too dangerous. Elena Mukhina (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQnEk0m0z8&feature=related) (world all around champ in 1978) broke her neck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Mukhina#Injury) on it in 1980 and died a few years ago due to complications.

See Elena Shushunova's first tumbling pass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIcuv0wYXxk).

Also, even though there seems to be a good bit of disdain for Ali Raisman (I can agree with her lack of polish on the Bars as the lack of toe point and creation of nice lines was noticeable to me even though I rarely watch gymnastics), I think as a member of this team, her experience and seemingly calm demeanor will provide a calming anchor as well as a motivator/mentor of sorts for the US Team.

I actually find her kind of elegant in a way. She doesn't have those fake, applied arm movements that some consider to be artistic and that drive me crazy (see Alicia Sacramone on the beam).

Cyn
07-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the links. I don't know if I'll register at that one forum, but I'll definitely check out the first one you linked.

Holy crap!! After watching Shushunova do that tumbling pass, I can see why it was banned. Coming out of a powerful tumbling pass and essentially landing on one's head is sheer insanity and just asking for trouble :scream:.

I didn't watch the Visa championships (btw, it really chaps my ass that the National Championships are now called "Visa" :wall: ), but watching the trials, I really didn't need to see McKayla Maroney's :yikes: fall from that competition over and over. Given my back injuries and nerve damage, every time they aired it, it sent spikes of pain down my spine and into my legs :scream:.

I actually find her kind of elegant in a way. She doesn't have those fake, applied arm movements that some consider to be artistic and that drive me crazy (see Alicia Sacramone on the beam).

After watching the WC from last year this weekend and the trials (or what little they showed of the floor events during it), I was extremely surprised at how few gymnasts displayed a nice dance quality to their tumbling that went with the music. It seems like the majority of them were just going through their routines without any regard to the music which was playing. One of the reasons I like Jordyn's is that (in spite of her music, which made my ears bleed), she paid attention to accents in the music and coordinated her movements to go with it. If I'm remembering correctly, Sarah (or is it Sara?) Finnigan was another gymnast who accomplished that, as well as Maroney. Some of the others, though (both at the trials and at the WC)? Not so much, if at all.

barbk
07-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Does anyone do the Gaylord/Mo or Gayloard 2 releases from the video at 2:29?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tEYrEupfO4

To my untutored eye they are a lot more attractive than some of the releases in recent routines.

Karpenko
07-04-2012, 05:03 AM
I've found some must-see routines that weren't shown on night 2:

McKayla Maroney vault 2 (ok so actually it was slightly better than Nationals then! shouldve been 9.8 or 9.9 IMO relative to field):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87OCep-ha4

Sarah Finnegan vault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDZ-K9WbXA&feature=channel&list=UL

Maroney Balance Beam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCNRysczKU

(I really thought she was fabulous there, beautiful)

Bross on beam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LyOZT2Qp1tE :)

Still no luck with Vega FX, Li BB, Dowell/Finnegan UB, or Price UB which was actually pretty nice, but I think the above were the nicer routines I can find that weren't shown on NBC. Finnegans floor was also nice but I think she did it best at Nationals one of the two days.

Also this is the movie that played on the jumbo-tron both nights in the arena. When the movie fades at the end with Shannon the lights went out, big crowd roar, then spotlight on each gymnast introduced on the floor, National Anthem, then immediately the warmup bell (it was the same warmup bell used at the 96 Olympic too!), lights came on as gymnasts start running to event they open on, then NBC coverage came on:
http://www.gymnastike.org/coverage/247899-2012-Olympic-Team-Trials/video/645547-Every-Four-Years-Womens-Olympic-Intro-Video-2012-Gymnastics-Olympic-Trials

I really liked it, thought you guys might like it as well. Shawn got the biggest cheer in the arena both nights on this movie, and when she, Carly, Mary Lou, and Kerri were introduced to audience throughout the competition for different fluffy crowd stuff she also got the biggest roar. Surprisingly Shannon got the least amount of crazy screaming as the other 4 did, but still lots of applause.

Scintillation
07-04-2012, 06:21 AM

Actually it's Alicia's ridiculous hip dance thing that drives me crazy. It just...doesn't work. She does have a certain spark to everything else though...just not her dance.

vesperholly
07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
I just do not know where the judges are finding deductions in Maroney's vaults, other than steps on the landings. They're incredible.

judgejudy27
07-04-2012, 06:48 AM
I just do not know where the judges are finding deductions in Maroney's vaults, other than steps on the landings. They're incredible.

I agree. I would give it a 10 until the landing and start deducting at the landing. If she stuck and did it the way she normally does it I would give a 10 E score.

Karpenko
07-04-2012, 07:00 AM
^ I think the longer she does this vault, the more people in gymnastics develop the same opinion. She was getting 16.1 in Jesolo for vaults not as big as the ones at Olympic Trials and with a .3 step, and competing in the same competition as Grishina and Mustafina to boot.

^ That 2nd vault was the best landing of any vault she did both days - including warmups before the competition began and one touch warmups. There were at least two Amanars that had that same 1 tenth hop in warmup, and many vaults she performed throughout the two days have been 9.9, but never quite stuck one cold (but she tried really hard). Her block is so amazing, there's just nothing like it, and she consistently always has that incredible block no matter the landing. I really do think at least one judge would give her a 10 in London if she stuck it, and thats all the press would need (and really the other judges in the future) to believe it's actually possible in this day and age and make her a huge huge star. I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a womens gymnastics routine ever than I am with Maroney's current vaults.