PDA

View Full Version : USA Gymnastics Olympic Trials 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Scintillation
06-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Ergh went to the worst birthday party ever this evening so I'm just now catching up on trials. Damn, I wish Bridget had had the chance to compete.

Karpenko
06-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Just got back, the energy in the arena was great I think John Macready does a decent job pumping up the crowd. (even if he's corny as all get out)

I'll give a more detailed report later but a few (mild)voids..

Amanda Borden is quite possibly the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in person. She looks pretty on TV, but wow she's a total stunner in person! I didn't have a chance to talk to her but she wins the most tiffed award for sure. :glamor:

I was standing in line for will-call when someone taps my shoulder - "Is this the line for will-call?"

Turning around "yeah it is -"(omg Cassie Price!) - "Are you Tasha Schwikerts old elite coach?"

"Yes!" big smile

"I loved her!! You are the first gymnastics person I've seen so far"

"You are in for a treat they are everywhere"

"It's like Christmas! Are you coaching anybody right now?"

"No nobody this time, just watching" big smile

She was very perky, spunky and cute, still looks exactly the same as when coaching Tasha.

McKayla Maroney's Floor routine saved the whole night for me.

Bross' beam was devestating to watch. :( It sucked the wind out of the entire arena.

I didn't find out about Bridget until the 2nd rotation, that sucks!!!!

The best gymnasts tonight for me were Wieber, Price, Sacramone, and Finnegan.

Jordyn Wieber has some really questionable foot form on balance beam, you can really notice in person, too.

Aly Raisman's Amanar form is very bad.

Price had an OUTSTANDING vault, I was so impressed with her today! Still an alternate though IMO, but I would have her as the 6th gymnast if we could take them.

Sarah Finnegan is beautiful (my mom loved her, Gabby, and Price)!

Kyla Ross had the most beautiful lines in the competition.

Mary Lou Retton is very annoying. Carly Patterson surprisingly is not, and Kerri Strug looks like she's aged 40 years!

Nastia was pissed. I was very bummer (my whole section was), but I got a huge vibe from watching her that this is not it for her. She will not end her career on this note, I think she will stick around. She had a great routine going until that break before the dismount!! Argh so frustrating.

I also thought she was very classy tonight - she completely bombed as you all know, but she was being very supportive to Jordan, Aly, and all of the gymnasts after each event. The other gymnasts were talking to her a lot, I think she's one of the "cool" ones.

Alicia!!!!! :cheer:

Anna Li's bar routine was the routine of the night.

Driving out of the arena and stuck in rush hour traffic, I saw McKayla Maroney's family with their "Air Maroney" T-shirts walk by our car and I scream out "McKayla rocks - wooooooo!" and her dad gave me an embarrassed side glance and a smile and managed a "thanks". :D

Watching the telecast now!

Scintillation
06-30-2012, 05:34 AM
oh damn I haven't seen Bross' beam yet. Now I'm dreading it...
I was so thrilled that the interior of Nastia's bar routine looked so much better, but then her dismount. :fragile:. I hope she sticks around for worlds next year.

skipaway
06-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Watching the telecast too. Al Trautwig just said "Marta's watching every little thing.". I call BS...I'm directly across from her in the arena and she was making our group so angry. When the women who obviously won't make London are up, she doesn't watch them. She talks with other people or watches warm ups on the other apparatus. As Jon Stewart of the Daily Show says, "Marta, meet me at camera 3.". These women are athletes who are in the Olympic Trials b/c they are good at what they do, they work hard and they earned it. You owe them the respect of watching everyone of the competitors b/c you have put yourself up as judge and jury. Marta, you make me sick. You have lost all of the little respect I had for you b/c of your behavior tonight.

Rob
06-30-2012, 05:38 AM
I left gymnastics taping and drove to the shore. Started watching at 10. Then news broke in with awful storms back home. Called my machine. No power. So no tape. Hopefully I have a roof and I am glad I am here with ac for now anyway. I don't have universal here but I can tape NBC.

Scintillation
06-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Somehow the news that Marta doesn't watch the athletes who aren't "chosen" doesn't surprise me.

Karpenko
06-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Watching the telecast too. Al Trautwig just said "Marta's watching every little thing.". I call BS...I'm directly across from her in the arena and she was making our group so angry. When the women who obviously won't make London are up, she doesn't watch them. She talks with other people or watches warm ups on the other apparatus. As Jon Stewart of the Daily Show says, "Marta, meet me at camera 3.". These women are athletes who are in the Olympic Trials b/c they are good at what they do, they work hard and they earned it. You owe them the respect of watching everyone of the competitors b/c you have put yourself up as judge and jury. Marta, you make me sick. You have lost all of the little respect I had for you b/c of your behavior tonight.

I completely agree, I noticed this all night too. She would pay attention to a few routines (she was watching Nastia in particular like a hawk, also Maroney), but when the "chosen ones" were competing I noticed she didn't fully pay attention to them really either. Bross I don't even know if she was in her seat for bars routine? During Gabby on floor she wasn't even paying attention, but I think a coach was at her table talking to her.

She doesn't have that stern, "I'm watching" thing she had at the last two trials. I think she very much has already picked the team, and even though she fell on two events that she will never touch (and Kyla Ross compliments her perfectly), she had better take Maroney.

I think that if Price didn't have the Parkette aspects to her gymnastics (very stiff upper body, lack of detail on the little things, bulky physique, foot form on the easy skills, flexibility) and could make the little things look as good as her big skills, I would have a new favorite gymnast. She's soo close to being there, and I would have loved to see her on the team over Raisman, but we all know that won't happen. I refuse to take her over Maroney though.

Loves_Shizuka
06-30-2012, 07:08 AM
I have never taken any notice of Price before - she's fab. What a shame she probably won't make it. It also proves how deep the US are - they're more than likely to be leaving an Amanar at home, when everyone else is scrambling to just get one good one.

centerstage01
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM
My knowledge of gymnastics is limited but after watching tonight I'd have Wieber, Douglas, Ross, Maroney, and Raisman on the team with Price, Finnegan, and Sacramone as alternates. I also think I may be in danger of becoming a Douglas über.

Sucks for Nastia and I was so pulling for her. Thought she had it there for a minute.

Karpenko
06-30-2012, 12:42 PM
So true. Since Ross is outscoring Bross on bars, and can fill in on any event if needed, Bross would need to be killing her on beam to have a chance though. Which at her best maybe she would have been able to do, and if she started training a whole new dismount months ago.

Just wanted to chime in here as well. This was the most devestating routine of the competition, and as hard as watching the routine was her reaction to the routine was that much harder to watch. :fragile:

However. That routine had many more issues than the dismount. That entire routine was a mess, and it was because Becca was a mess mentally. She nailed her arabian cold in warmups (like she used to do them in 2010) and I think she has one of the better switch ring leaps of the competition. I don't think she sat any dismounts, but it wasn't a skill she tried a lot in warmups either (she did a lot of arabians, left them all in the warmup though :(). I think what happened was she warmed up really well and had a lot of fire and that Chellsie Memmel thing where she just NAILS the skill (her arabian used to be like this, and during warmups it was again), but then after that nice warmup she had to wait through a good 6 or 7 beam routines before she closed out the rotation. I simply think her mind got to her and her body was a bit too cooled down at that point.

We saw some interviews where she/Valeri are defensive about her being able to do this, and after seeing how she looked in warmups I'm rather inclined to agree. It was really all mental, which made it suck all the more. :( Still love her though!

I will also say that for as much heat as I have given Kyla Ross earlier in the year, especially considering how she's performed on everything of late except for bars (which kind of proves why I was skeptical on taking her to begin with :lol: but she's still been the most consistent for that spot overall), she really does have absolutely beautiful lines in person. She stands out in a crowd, she has an almost perfect physique for a gymnast and that really does take a lot of work. There's a calmness about her that I really like a lot, but she was a bit jittery today.

She did an Amanar before the competition officially started that would've scored a 16 if it were her competition vault. It had a nice block and only a .1 deduction on the landing, it was the 3rd best Amanar I have seen at this competition (behind Maroney and Price). It's actually surprising she say this down, because when you compare her block to someone like Gabby, Gabby technically has a weaker Amanar IMO and I was honestly surprised she stood it up today. It is definitely cleaner than Raisman's, but it really is a tiny block compared to the other vaulters. I was completely against having Kyla Ross even tough vault at the Olympics, but I would bench Raisman in a heartbeat if Kyla Ross consistently does it the way she had in training/warmups. It really was looking great, and I saw at least 3 of them. None of them even came close to the disaster we saw at all of the other meets she's competed this year. I still find her boring as hell, but I do have a new appreciation for her gymnastics now. She has the pretty gene and her look really does stand out in a crowd of gymnasts.

Even her floor routine, the choreography/way she throws her head back (I do like one part of her choreography, its after her 2nd pass and its the section where she does that stomach turn thing with her legs, but thats it!) is just as awful in person, but there is this quality to her gymnastics in person that doesn't come across on TV. She stands out big-time in a crowd of gymnasts, and I really think that she has a very very beautiful look to her gymnastics, and while very stock and very safe and honestly somewhat boring to watch, we need her on the team. She will get the scores at the Olympics if she hits, and one of the few who will get the same high scores internationally as she gets at home. There is a class to her work that makes me a bit forgiving of her shortcomings, and also the fact that none of the other gymnasts have put up a legitimate fight to replacing her.

bek
06-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I will also say that for as much heat as I have given Kyla Ross earlier in the year, especially considering how she's performed on everything of late except for bars (which kind of proves why I was skeptical on taking her to begin with but she's still been the most consistent for that spot overall), she really does have absolutely beautiful lines in person. She stands out in a crowd, she has an almost perfect physique for a gymnast and that really does take a lot of work. There's a calmness about her that I really like a lot, but she was a bit jittery today.

I'm not sure what you mean on the two events Ross would be used on; she's proved her spot over and over. On beam Ross has been a little shaky, but the girl hasn't fallen off beam at all this year. She's shown that even if she's shaky feeling a bit nervous on beam; she can maintain her cool. Aly was a little shaky on beam too...IF and I mean IF Larissa has an Amanar she could very well beat Jordyn.

allezfred
06-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Whatever happened to that girl who had the fantastically awful floor routine in 2004 that included a backwards crabby thing?

chipso1
06-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Whatever happened to that girl who had the fantastically awful floor routine in 2004 that included a backwards crabby thing?

:lol: Courtney Kupets? She had a great collegiate career at Georgia following 2004.

allezfred
06-30-2012, 06:06 PM
That's the one! Looked it up on Youtube and it's still as awful and unintentionally hilarious as I remember. :lol:

And I've now just discovered that Jordyn Wieber performs her floor exercise to an instrumental of Ruslana's Wild Dances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10XR67NQcAc). Seriously? :rofl:

HisWeirness
06-30-2012, 06:14 PM
And I've now just discovered that Jordyn Wieber performs her floor exercise to an instrumental of Ruslana's Wild Dances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10XR67NQcAc). Seriously? :rofl:
:rofl: That you just found this out. I get a chuckle out of it every time I watch her.