PDA

View Full Version : Early Intervention Evaluation for Children

Pages : 1 [2] 3

numbers123
06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
It might be that he only hears noises at a certain level. I was in the ENT office with my granddaughter after her ear tubes were placed. I was surprised at the chart they had in the office about speech/words etc. at different ages - not as many as I thought.

I also have a step granddaughter that I was quite concerned about her lack of language development. Besides not speaking and very little babbling, she would hold objects very close to her eyes (she is almost 2). In the last 2 weeks, she has begun to say "two" and a few other words. (the word two is very interesting - my other grandchildren would go down our steps from the bedroom to the living room and I would count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), Then yesterday started saying push, dada, maaaa. She also had many ear infections. And they attribute her wanting things close up as wanting to study them intently as her vision testing is normal

Like everyone says, the evaluation will include an extensive history and it will be fun for your son.

manleywoman
06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Add me to the list of wondering about hearing.

One of my kid's friends was still not walking at 15 months. Not even trying. Turned out he had fluid in his ears and therefore no balance. And it also explained why he had other problems too. As soon as they put tubes in his ears and they drained, he was running in a week.

barbk
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
UGG -- Child Find is a great program; besides some very thorough evaluation at no charge to you, if needs are identified they can begin providing services right away, even during the summer. Our school building hosted a developmental preschool that was half-enrolled with Child Find students (whose families did not have to pay) and the growth and development during the course of the year was fabulous to watch. The kindergarten teachers also loved it because kids who need support get it rather seamlessly in the transition from Child Find to kindergarten; kids who are identified as possibly needing support in kindergarten often don't have IEPs completed until nearly 2/3 of the school year has passed.

One of my girl scouts was identified as substantially hearing impaired through child find, and the speech therapy and sign language instruction she got from toddler age on was hugely helpful.

And, they may well find nothing at all. Kids do develop at different paces. Best of luck!

UGG
06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
yeah for some reason-hearing is not checked until 18 months. I probably should have asked why...but I was so taken a back when our pediatrician mentioned "development delays" and was trying to process that whole thing in my brain. I guess when we do the evaluation, the evaluators will be able to tell if he needs further hearing testing?

I did a 20 minute phone interview late yesterday afternoon and they asked tons and tons of questions about my pregnancy, family history-all sorts of things.

It was so so so stressful.

I really appreciate everyones kind words-it means a lot. :)

And please keep experiences, perspectives, and knowledge coming, I truly do appreciate it.

Angelskates
06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
UGG, hearing isn't checked until 18 months unless there is a problem. I would go back and ask, because there are most definitely checks for those younger than 18 months. The evaluation will definitely be able to tell if he needs extra testing, but actually they probably won't be able to tell if the problem is exclusively due to hearing without tests. They can see the result or symptoms of the issues (problems with hearing, speech etc.), but only a hearing test can result in a diagnosis there - and even that may not happen, sometimes there is no obvious reason, and you either have to wait and see (urgh!) or get even more testing. Either way, treatment for the current issues should commence immediately; your son is the perfect age for early intervention, regardless of the diagnosis or cause.

20 minutes sounds mild for the interview ;) Ours are an hour, in-person, if we don't have the intake form already, and usually at least 30 minutes if we do. I'm sorry it was stressful for you, parents don't usually have a reason to think of the things asked, because they just think everything is "fine" or have never really considered or known what "normal range" guidelines are. Background information is always important, it will help them evaluate better. :)

numbers123
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
In many states a BERA is performed prior to dismissal from the hospital. Although, like angelskates said it would indicate if additional testing is needed although, if there have been issues like numerous ear infections, that would not help until further examination is done.

ABR (AABR, AEP, BEAR) = Auditory Brainstem Response: This test is performed by placing electrode pads around the infant’s head and presenting sounds into the infant’s ear through tiny earphones. The equipment computer analyzes the brainwaves.

UGG
06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, I know he did have a hearing test at the hospial when he was first born, and passed. But the multiple ear infections, and his current communication skills just...make me wonder.

I just wish this was not happening. But I am glad that we are doing this early. Hopefully they will come and say nothing is wrong and that he is just a late bloomer.

all I read is that not pointing or waving is a huge marker for autism. (what isn't these days though).

I know it is all just precaution, and i am thankful for the early intervention. But it is still stressful.

algonquin
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
...all I read is that not pointing or waving is a huge marker for autism. (what isn't these days though).
My son didn't wave or point at 16 months and he is not autistic. He has some motor planning difficulties. I taught him to point by using flap books.

Stay away from Google, you will drive yourself insane. I agree with other poster about having a hearing test done. As for the early intervention evaluation, it is a good thing to have done if for no other reason than to just ease your mind. Let us know how it goes.

Lacey
06-27-2012, 09:51 PM
UGG, where do you live, is it in the US? If so, I believe hearing tests are done at birth in the hospital. So maybe he passed and you don't even know he had the test because they only report failures; and it sounds like he hears at some levels, maybe not all, which they couldn't be so specific on at birth, just a yes or no, if that makes sense.

It is astounding to me what is done for children nowadays compared to when I was born. Not only can testing be done very early, but also early intervention, if needed, is a gift. In the US, such programs are part of a free and appropriate education. It used to be that one had to wait until school age, kindergarten, to start working on things.

I know someone whose baby boy got early attention, possibly OT or PT, because he was not a self feeder, that is, he didn't pick up his food and put it in his mouth, he wanted his mother to do it. Boom. I had never heard of such a thing. A little intervention, and the problem was solved. It apparently would have led to others, and they negated that.

Things are so much different than when I was a child. I had a fractured skull skating at age 8, was knocked blind for two hours, never had a memory for facts after that and couldn't do math, and no one ever put two and two together until I returned to college at the age of 47, and was diagnosed.

You are not going to waste a minute of your son's life, you are so lucky to be getting testing. He'll be fine. Make a list of things you want to mention, no matter how small they seem. It will all make sense to the professionals.

Really
06-28-2012, 01:28 AM
First thing I thought of was hearing too.

UGG
06-28-2012, 01:51 AM
I live in NJ-he did pass the hearing test in the hospital.

i am very thankful we are doing this but it was just such a shock. I always thought it was weird he did not point, or mimic or wave and stuff, but I had no idea it was this huge red flag. But i am thankful that incase something is not right, we can work on it right away.

Everyone- I really really appreciate all of the responses and insight. Thank you all so much.

Badams
06-28-2012, 02:21 AM
My niece passed her hearing birth too. But by the time she was 12 months old, she was basically deaf because of fluid build-up.

judiz
06-28-2012, 03:19 AM
My son is almost 16 years old and had his first meeting with early intervention when he was almost a year old. He did not gurgle, hold a bottle or pacifier, crawl or sit up. I was absolutely terrified but afterwards I felt so much better because I was no longer alone. My son was eventually diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy, early intervention paid for speech, physical and occupational therapies, we supplemented with private therapies as well. Josh walked at 16 months, talked at 2 years and today holds a summer job and is getting ready to take driving lessons in order to get his license. He has a mild learning disability as well as ADD but otherwise is a typical teenager.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Garden Kitty
06-28-2012, 03:34 AM
No suggestion, but just sending good thoughts. Ugg. Threads like this are one of my favorite things at FSU - so many people sharing their personal experiences to help someone else. Good luck!

BigB08822
06-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Does he track with his eyes?

Hearing is the big thing that jumped out at me, as many others have said. He may have passed hearing at the hospital because his hearing was fine but it could have been damaged by all the ear infections he has since had. Not trying to worry you! It seems he can obviously hear something since he responds to certain things. If there is a problem there may be a solution that is easier than you think.

I am a special ed teacher as well but in my first year so I don't have the experience to help you out like Angelskates does. I wish you the best and just know that if he is developmentally delayed, he could very well be caught up by the time he starts 1st grade.