PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Total Technical Scores for 2012-13 ISU Championships (including Jr Worlds)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

Sylvia
07-25-2012, 11:52 PM
New article with quotes from several coaches and Ireland's Clara Peters at the Liberty Summer Competition last week: TES standards could shut out small federations (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120725&content_id=35536118&vkey=ice_news)

query5
07-27-2012, 06:52 PM
please answer me this, does the skaters who don't go to gp events in jr/sr still can qualify through level B's like Nebelhorn, Finland, Leo Schue Memorial, Cup of Nice, etc or just Jr/Sr/ Gp events.

nylynnr
07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
please answer me this, does the skaters who don't go to gp events in jr/sr still can qualify through level B's like Nebelhorn, Finland, Leo Schue Memorial, Cup of Nice, etc or just Jr/Sr/ Gp events.

Yes, and you may see more skaters/teams seeking to compete at those events, in order to earn the qualifying score.

triple_toe
07-27-2012, 11:16 PM
So does a skater to meet both the short and long TES requirements or just one? Sorry if this has already been covered.

kwanfan1818
07-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Both the short and long, but the skaters/teams can meet them in different competitions, ex: SP minimum at Nebelhorn, FS minimum at CoC or Cup of Nice.

triple_toe
07-28-2012, 01:28 AM
So basically Canada's ladies entry to next year's worlds is decided, even if she has a poor season? :P

nylynnr
07-28-2012, 01:35 AM
So basically Canada's ladies entry to next year's worlds is decided, even if she has a poor season? :P

Not quite. While as of now only one Canadian lady has met the minimum, others have an opportunity to do so in international events on the ISU calendar prior to the 2013 worlds. Or maybe the smile icon means the question is facetious, I never can decipher these clever faces.

triple_toe
07-28-2012, 02:55 AM
I know Canada hasn't literally decided the spot, it was a comment on how weak our ladies are that we might only have one option for the worlds spot. After all, Lacoste, Phaneuf, and any other ladies we have all failed to reach the minimum score last season. It's possible this could be the case again. If that happens we would *have* to send Osmond, regardless of whether she meets the minimum score this season or even has a good year.

kwanfan1818
07-28-2012, 03:12 AM
If none of the other Canadian women can get the minimum score at any of their other events -- Lacoste and a TBA will have an opportunity at a GP event, because this year it's not required that a host pick meet the GP minimum -- nor at 4C's -- both Phaneuf and Lacoste have met the TES minimums for 4C's -- nor at Senior B's, if Skate Canada decides to use its spots, then who else would deserve to go to Worlds? If someone does so well at Canadian Nationals that they earn a spot at 4C's, but can't replicate enough of that performance at 4C's, the only choice Skate Canada has is to keep sending its National Champ and/or Phaneuf to the Hellmut Siebt Memorial the week following 4C's or one of 1st Citta’ di Torino Trophy or Challenge Cup 2013 two weeks after 4C's.

The only other choice is to send no one and to hope that a Canadian lady earns an Olympic spot at Nebelhorn. Or, send no one and hope that a Canadian lady doesn't earn a spot at Nebelhorn/send no Lady to Nebelhorn, so that they can send Rochette for the team event only.

It wouldn't be very popular to have a World Championships in London without a Canadian Lady, unless the one who qualified had an inconvenient injury, or they forced Osmond into another Junior Worlds, since it's up to them whom they submit for Worlds. Were she to complain publicly, she would be kissing future SC support goodbye.

query5
07-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you

DORISPULASKI
07-29-2012, 03:03 AM
At LPIDC, not a single team would have qualified, due to inadequate TES in the SD

sd min is 29: not one of Group A or Group B (Is it really 29 :eek:)???? Chock / Bates close at 27.50, Orford / Williams next close at 25.93

fd min is 39: (43.68 orford & williams, 42.49 chock & bates, 41.80 Kriengkrairut & giuletti-schmitt, 41.27 cannuscio & Mcmanus, 39.59 Nardozzi & Traxler (this seems more reasonable)

Vagabond
07-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Is it really 29 :eek:)????

Yes, it is. :wall:

I'm not that much of an ice dance fan, but 29.00 is ridiculous.

Only eight couples scored that high at Worlds this past season, four scored that high at Four Continents, and five did at Euros. Needless to say, there was a substantial overlap.

I guess having only a dozen or so couples qualify for Worlds is going to make everyone at the ISU and any potential host federations deliriously happy. Don't count on there being an Ice Dance competition at the Olympics in 2014, though. :shuffle:

Ziggy
07-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Those ridiculously high minimum scores have to get lowered...

l'etoile
07-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Those ridiculously high minimum scores have to get lowered...

Would watching only top 10 or so skaters per discipline competing at Worlds wake their lazy as*es? I was really baffled once again with the article above when it pointed out that Mao couldn't even make it to that minimum score last season. I mean, it's Mao ASADA for god's sakes. If she couldn't, who could and whom are ISU officials are expecting to see at Worlds?

Ziggy
07-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Would watching only top 10 or so skaters per discipline competing at Worlds wake their lazy as*es? I was really baffled once again with the article above when it pointed out that Mao couldn't even make it to that minimum score last season. I mean, it's Mao ASADA for god's sakes. If she couldn't, who could and whom are ISU officials are expecting to see at Worlds?

I would make a guess that the numbers have been set so high in order to really scare the national federations and show them they'd better give up on ideas of removing preliminary rounds or else...

:( :mad:

ETA: Well it's official now for this season...

http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1103

The repercussions in terms of funding for national federations ('why should we give you any government money if you aren't even able to get skaters to qualify to compete at major championships?') and athlete participation might be painful.

Congrats ISU for helping to kill the sport instead of developing it. :rolleyes:

There really are no words...