PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Total Technical Scores for 2012-13 ISU Championships (including Jr Worlds)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Skittl1321
06-27-2012, 08:25 PM
We already have the "private club" of the big federations, and it's called the GP series.

Yeah, and it is about to be world's too....

So if you already aren't letting the world compete, have it be the top skaters regardless of country.

elfenblüte
06-27-2012, 08:47 PM
You have a point. 20.00 is reasonable. At 28.00, of the 30 skaters who skated the short program, only ten earned 28.00 or more.

Possibly 5 or 6 others who didn't may have earned that score internationally prior to the event.

But yes, the numbers are really going to drop significantly.

Worlds may be skated in a day!

Even 20.00 is too high for Ladies from small federations, Clara Peters who qualified for the SP at Euros AND Worlds has never met 20 points in technical for the SP. Why do they call it the World Championships, when only the skaters from the best 8 countries can compete? The Worlds will never be the same again where the best skater/s from every country in the World can compete at the World Championships, i loved to watch them, even if they coudnt land triple jumps.
I could cry now :(

hanca
06-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree with Skittl1321; if we are not going to see the skaters from the small federations anyway, we may as well see the best in the world, without any limits on what country they come from.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-27-2012, 08:51 PM
I seriously doubt they are seriously going to limit the number of skaters to 10.
I would assume they will fill up the missing spots according to the federations spots going by the SB.

allezfred
06-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Even 20.00 is too high for Ladies from small federations, Clara Peters who qualified for the SP at Euros AND Worlds has never met 20 points in technical for the SP.

Peters is planning to put triple jumps in next season. Still 28 points for Worlds is going to be really tough to make. :(

SkatingIsLife
06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Even 20.00 is too high for Ladies from small federations, Clara Peters who qualified for the SP at Euros AND Worlds has never met 20 points in technical for the SP.

Sorry to say and not to offend anyone, but who does not meet the required elements (i.e. 2 different triple jumps in the Ladies SP) should not be in any senior Championships. Rules are there for a reason this way and that way.

Skittl1321
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Sorry to say and not to offend anyone, but who does not meet the required elements (i.e. 2 different triple jumps in the Ladies SP) should not be in any senior Championships. Rules are there for a reason this way and that way.

If the ISU wanted this, they should have made the qualifying off the short program, and not the free program.

elfenblüte
06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Peters is planning to put triple jumps in next season. Still 28 points for Worlds is going to be really tough to make. :(

Thats really good for her but i doubt she could make the 28 technical points in the near future, let alone the points for the FP. And what happens to all the other skaters from developing federations? It was so important for them to compete at the World Championships to get expirience and train with the best skaters.
I think Javier Fernandez wouldnt be a world class skater now if he couldnt have compete at Euros and Worlds from the very beginning of his skating career.

kylet3
06-27-2012, 09:32 PM
:eek: The ISU and these federations keep coming up with more and creative ways of shooting themselves in the foot. While I don't mind a slight increase in the technical elements score, some of these score increases are completely ridiculous.

This is going to say to smaller federations that are trying to actually develop their skaters, that they aren't cared about, that only the big more powerful boys can come to play. It sends completely the wrong message.

peibeck
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Does this ruling only effect countries who have not qualified direct entries through the previous ISU championships?

For example, I believe Denis Ten qualified 2 men for KAZ for Worlds next season. Is the ISU saying, despite the pre-qualification, both skaters must have met the minimum requirement to enter?

And what if a world class skater (like a Denis Ten) were to be injured and unable to compete in the fall but healthy enough to compete in the spring? No ISU championship because no minimum met, or can a federation petition for such an invitation?

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM
And what if a world class skater (like a Denis Ten) were to be injured and unable to compete in the fall but healthy enough to compete in the spring? No ISU championship because no minimum met, or can a federation petition for such an invitation?
I guess he'd have to miss the competition, unless, of course, he's a superstah from a strong federation :rolleyes:

Skittl1321
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Does this ruling only effect countries who have not qualified direct entries through the previous ISU championships?

Since there is no qualifying round, isn't everything a direct entry now?

kwanfan1818
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Javier Fernandez would have qualified for Euros. Euros/4C's scores are lower, and he would have gotten international championship experience that way.

The base for Ladies doing the minimum possible (rotated) required SP technical content (3T/2T, 3S, 2A, B-level CH sequence, layback, sit/camel, combo [one foot change, no change of position] with base quality is:

18.9-19.0 if a flying entrance is required.

Add another 1.1 to 1.3 for Level 1's instead of Level B's.

The old TES minimum (17) for Ladies at championships was less than the minimum required technical content done competently.

For Euro/4C's Ladies, the Ladies' minimum TES for the SP is 20, barely over being able to fulfill the minimum requirements, without a single feature or +GOE involved. I think that is reasonable at the senior championship level.

The issue is different on the Men's side, where apart from the layback spin, they ask for competitiveness, rather than being able to meet the minimum.

For Worlds, they're asking for 40% more technical content/GOE, a requirement for competitiveness on the Ladies side, as well as the Men's. I pointed out that Lafuente's technical base for one competition was 27 points: that included a 3F, 3Lo/2T, and three L3 and one L4 elements and was still under the minimum.

Levels are going to be even more crucial this year, placing more power in the hands of the technical panels. I suspect that Ladies on the cusp will go for a more conservative jump content and attempt to trade GOE points for difficulty, until they earn the minimum.

Without prelims, there are no direct vs. indirect entries.

For example, I believe Denis Ten qualified 2 men for KAZ for Worlds next season. Is the ISU saying, despite the pre-qualification, both skaters must have met the minimum requirement to enter?
Yes. That's been true since the ISU added minimum championship scores, although the minimums were a lot lower.

The TES minimums can be earned the previous or current season.

gkelly
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
But they also need to concentrate on skating as clean as possible, with sufficient difficulty, even if that's at the expense of presenting the program. Some might intentionally choose to sacrifice PCS and actually end up with lower placements at the fall competitions as a result. But a senior B or even a GP medal won on the strength of the PCS won't get you into Worlds if the TES wasn't high enough.

peibeck
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks, kwanfan1818! Sorry if those seemed like dumb questions. :shuffle: