PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Wildfires (Threads merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlueRidge
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
The news is quite scary about the wildfires near Colorado Springs. 32,000 evacuated.

I hope all FSUers in the area are okay!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57461483/colorado-waldo-canyon-fire-forces-32k-to-flee-homes-partially-closes-air-force-academy/

milanessa
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM
So much destruction. :( Wildlife, homes, the landscape and so many lives disrupted. My best wishes to all affected and utmost admiration for the firefighters.

Nan
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I was watching reports about this on the Weather Channel this morning. It's hard to process how fast this is spreading and how big it is. I hope everyone gets out all right.

Grannyfan
06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
My niece and her family live in Monument, not too far from the Air Force Academy. Their neighborhood hasn't been evacuated, but they have packed the car and are ready if it comes to that. Not sure where they will go since hotels are already booked and family is all here in Arkansas, plus they have two big dogs and a cat that they would under no circumstances leave behind. Niece's husband travels in his job and is away at this time. Praying for them and all others affected.

Things are so hot and dry here we have lots of small fires scattered about. One started when a farmer ran over a rock while brush-hogging and set off sparks. We need rain soooooooooo badly.

skatemommy
06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
John Coughlin's facebook stated that it is getting hard to breathe. Dear God - rain please!

barbk
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
They're just starting evacuation of Woodland Park, which is due west of the the Air Force Academy. The World Arena is in the southern part of Colorado Springs -- if the smoke is getting bad in that general area it must be truly awful in the north.

Twizzler
06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Sadly, it doesn't look like there's any rain forecast in the next 10 days. So devastating.

I seriously hope this fire didn't start as a case of arson or someone's irresponsibility. Do they know the initial cause?

Definitely sending prayers to all those in the area.

milanessa
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
At least it's happening at a time the AF Academy isn't having regular classes. That area doesn't need another 4,500+ people to worry about.

genevieve
06-27-2012, 07:19 PM
A good friend lives up in the mountains - she said they got a little bit of rain over the weekend, but she's got an evacuation plan in place. Her attitude is, as long as she and all her animals can get out, she's good.

She's also really irritated by the dipshits who continue to do things that could make the fires worse. There is a shooting ban in effect, and she says she can still hear people at the firing range :rolleyes:

barbk
06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
At least it's happening at a time the AF Academy isn't having regular classes. That area doesn't need another 4,500+ people to worry about.

Actually, I think it is worse. They've got all the brand new cadets, who often (usually?) have their families with them to see them sworn in -- and since the vast majority of those folks have no real awareness of various routes and who aren't acclimated to the heat or the altitude, much less the smoke, that's a challenge -- plus the entire corps of new seniors there to manage the new cadets, plus all the local home stay families (each cadet is matched with a family in the area for local stays), plus the other folks. During the rest of the year it is pretty much just cadets, who are in peak physical shape, well-organized, and capable of executing effectively just about any orders they're given.

milanessa
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Actually, I think it is worse. They've got all the brand new cadets, who often (usually?) have their families with them to see them sworn in -- and since the vast majority of those folks have no real awareness of various routes and who aren't acclimated to the heat or the altitude, much less the smoke, that's a challenge -- plus the entire corps of new seniors there to manage the new cadets, plus all the local home stay families (each cadet is matched with a family in the area for local stays), plus the other folks. During the rest of the year it is pretty much just cadets, who are in peak physical shape, well-organized, and capable of executing effectively just about any orders they're given.

The families are being discouraged from coming and the Bed and Breakfast host families would be there anyway. If those people have been impacted by the fire the AFA has a plan in place. There won't be many as many seniors in place as there usually are. There are contingency plans to evacuate the entire new cadet class and C-130s and C-17s are on alert. I still think it's best there are fewer folk on base regardless of how trained they are.

peibeck
06-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Thank goodness we have a presidential candidate who wants to get rid of FEMA. :shuffle:

WildRose
06-27-2012, 10:53 PM
From Icenetwork.com:

Wildfire seen through eyes of Springs skatershttp://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120627&content_id=34038782&vkey=ice_news

barbk
06-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Thank goodness we have a presidential candidate who wants to get rid of FEMA. :shuffle:

And a president who insists on visiting a city whose police department is already stretched beyond max capacity with evacuation and protection of evacuated areas. :rolleyes: The police chief looked none too happy on TV tonight.

barbk
06-28-2012, 05:52 AM
dupe posting