PDA

View Full Version : The Newsroom

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

julieann
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Um, it's Sorkin. Sanctimonious is his middle name. ;) Yeah, not such a big fan here. Of course he's very, very talented; the problem is that he's very, very, VERY aware of it.

And I can't get over "Mackenzie MacHale." I hope they don't plan for her to get back together with her ex, or there's a chance she could one day be Mackenzie MacHale McAvoy.

I think you pretty much summed it up.

The show seems to have been done before, although I do watch a ton of TV. I really didn't think it was anything spectacular. HBO has better things to offer.

A free podcast of the pilot is on iTunes until July 23rd.

AliasJohnDoe
06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Watch "The Newsroom"'s episode 1 for free:
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/06/watch-the-newsroom-episode-1-for-free-will-you-stick-around-for-aaron-sorkin.html

Direct Youtube link. You have to sign in:
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3D1U4ZhFDFYvE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

It can also be watched for free at HBO.com.
http://www.hbo.com/#/index.html/eNrjcmbOYM7XLMtMSc13zEvMqSzJTHbOzytJrShhLlTPz0mBCQ Ykpqf6JeamcjIysjGyySeD1OSV2BoamZgaWlqyMQIAe90Wdw==

Artemis@BC
06-27-2012, 08:35 PM
It can also be watched for free at HBO.com.
http://www.hbo.com/#/index.html/eNrjcmbOYM7XLMtMSc13zEvMqSzJTHbOzytJrShhLlTPz0mBCQ Ykpqf6JeamcjIysjGyySeD1OSV2BoamZgaWlqyMQIAe90Wdw==

Geoblocked -- US only.

Matryeshka
06-28-2012, 02:35 AM
In case you can't tell ... I enjoyed it. Despite the stereotypes and the predictable formula.

I don't mind stereotypes and predictable formula so long as it's well-done. I'd rather watch an unoriginal idea done well than a new idea that's horribly executed.

I liked it. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I'll definitely tune in next week, but I wouldn't stay home to watch it either or feel compelled to post as it's happening.

WildRose
06-29-2012, 06:26 AM
I liked it a lot - looking forward to seeing more episodes.

icecat
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
HBO? not worth the $

pixie cut
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
HBO? not worth the $

I think HBO is totally worth the dollars. I watch several original series and some movies.

AliasJohnDoe
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I think HBO is totally worth the dollars. I watch several original series and some movies.

Me too. I think I've had HBO since 1980. Love my HBO and Showtime. Some of the best shows on TV.

gkelly
06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I got HBO a few years ago as part of a package when I needed to get Universal Sports to watch skating.

Now US is no longer available to me :(, but meanwhile I have gotten hooked on HBO. Couldn't afford to get Showtime as well, but I catch up on a few of their shows after the fact via Netflix.

The acting and production quality of much of what's on broadcast TV is painful to me after having watched very little TV at all (besides skating) for a number of years and then mostly cable shows that put more time into each episode.

Anyway, I can foresee some problems with this show but there are also things I like about it, so I'm in for the season.

AliasJohnDoe
06-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Years ago, only 1 HBO and 1 Showtime were available. Now when you order HBO and Showtime, you get multiple channels for the same price. (On satellite)

Now when you order HBO, you get 8 channels. HBO-E, HBO2E, HBOSG, HBO-W, HBO2W, HBOFM, HBOCY, HBOLT.

When you order Showtime, you get 6 channels. SHO-E, SHO-W, SHOTO, SHOCS, SHOEX, SBYND.

milanessa
06-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Their best stuff usually ends up on cable eventually - I can wait. :)

ArtisticFan
06-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I actually resubscribed to HBO in large part because of this show (among other things). I was happy with the pilot and look forward to more.

Artemis@BC
06-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Meant to say earlier: I think it was smart to set the timeline for this as 2010 (or at least starting there). Lets them use real news stories as they really happened, like they did for the pilot, but I would imagine they'll use "fake" stories too as the series develops -- but without being not-current. One of the biggest oddities in The West Wing was being about "real world" politics but against the alternate-reality backdrop, esp. post-911.

pixie cut
06-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Meant to say earlier: I think it was smart to set the timeline for this as 2010 (or at least starting there). Lets them use real news stories as they really happened, like they did for the pilot, but I would imagine they'll use "fake" stories too as the series develops -- but without being not-current.

HBO on Demand runs all these little features pertaining to its shows. I seem to recall seeing on after episode one that said they will focus on real news stories.

Artemis@BC
07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
So after watching episode 2, I'm noticing now Sorkin repeats himself not just in the broad strokes and characterizations, but in the tiny dialogue details as well. In the opening run-down meeting, the phrases "Muhammed al Muhammed al Muhammed al Bazir" and "were you distracted by a bumble-bee?" were used, both of which I recognized from The West Wing.

I am finding it grating in places ... but still entertaining enough to keep going. For now at least. I'll be interested to see how they develop Olivia Munn's character (I've only ever seen her in The Daily Show). And I continue to love Sam Waterston as "the white Robert Guillaume."