PDA

View Full Version : Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

kwanette
06-29-2012, 09:48 PM
In 2006 olys Slutskaya behaved herself perfectly well in public. I'm sure it wasn't fun or easy but she did.

If she had a hissy fit backstage, well that's what backstage is for.

There's no reason to be judgemental about private locker room behavior (unless it's legally actionable of course).

It's too bad then that Nancy Kerrigan was recorded after her crushing OLY defeat.

Vagabond
06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
And I absolutely understand her behaviour. After so many years of hard training being beaten by half a turn short of rotation triple-triples. She didn't want consoling from her coach? Well, Michelle turned down interviewers at 1997 Nationals.

Even if that last statement were true, which, as we have seen, it isn't, can't you see the difference between declining to be interviewed and stomping around in public like a sore loser?

centerstage01
06-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Just put bartek on ignore. The Kwan hate from them is such they can't be objective about anything.

FunnyBut
06-29-2012, 10:26 PM
To be fair, I thought the "hamburger" and "Sarah Hughes got fat" comments came from a Russian tabloid that's notorious for publishing false statements. Can anyone confirm?

Can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure is was a cheesburger, not a hamburger.:lol:

dawnie
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Don't forget about the catty comment about Michelle's choice of music and dress for her Fields of Gold exhibition. :lol:

Looking back at it, Irina's diva behavior was pretty amusing. Don't get me wrong, at the time she came across as an ungracious and unsportsmanlike poor-sport. But come on guys... she was just being Russian! Everybody loves a Russian diva!

Even though she had her moments, I never got a malicious or mean-spirited vibe from Irina. Totmianina on the other hand....

berthesghost
06-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure is was a cheesburger, not a hamburger.:lol:
Or maybe you're thinking of the cheesefest she won and then said it was like she won US nats :lol:

Macassar88
06-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Don't forget about the catty comment about Michelle's choice of music and dress for her Fields of Gold exhibition. :lol:

Looking back at it, Irina's diva behavior was pretty amusing. Don't get me wrong, at the time she came across as an ungracious and unsportsmanlike poor-sport. But come on guys... she was just being Russian! Everybody loves a Russian diva!

Even though she had her moments, I never got a malicious or mean-spirited vibe from Irina. Totmianina on the other hand....

What did Irina say about Michelle's dress and music?
Also what did Totmianina do?

berthesghost
06-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I think she just really wanted the gold. After missing out in 2002, AND in 2006 when she could have easily won both, of course she is going to be pissed. She trained for 4 years between 02 and 06 so she could try and get the gold again, while also battling through a life threatening illness. And after all that training she ends up getting a worst result than in 02. Id be pisssssssssedI always thought it was odd how Irina's experience seem to follow in kwan's footsteps. In 98 Kwan was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 irina was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 Kwan was again a strong favorite, but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. In 06 irina was again a strong favorite but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. Key twilight zone theme music....

Triple Butz
06-29-2012, 11:21 PM
I always thought it was odd how Irina's experience seem to follow in kwan's footsteps. In 98 Kwan was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 irina was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 Kwan was again a strong favorite, but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. In 06 irina was again a strong favorite but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. Key twilight zone theme music....

Also, the triple flip was an iffy jump for them in both Olympics...

shady82
06-30-2012, 12:42 AM
I always thought it was odd how Irina's experience seem to follow in kwan's footsteps. In 98 Kwan was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 irina was a co-favorite but had to settle for silver in a close comp. In 02 Kwan was again a strong favorite, but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. In 06 irina was again a strong favorite but made errors and ended up with bronze, gold going not to her closest rival but to the dark horse 3rd pick. Key twilight zone theme music....

I noticed that connection immediately after Slutskaya got bronze. Their bronze medal-winning freeskates were also pretty similar in terms of mistakes made.

Off a tangent - I can't help to notice that Eldredge and Butyrskaya had similar Olympic histories as well. They were both World Champions, but the Olympic medal was elusive to them. They both were 3rd after the '98 short, then barely missed the podium. In 2002, they both messed up one of their programs and ended up in 6th (Eldredge's short, Butyrskaya's free).

I've never heard Irina say anything negative about Kwan like that before. It's a bit shocking to me, they were always described as close friends.

bartek
06-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Just put bartek on ignore. The Kwan hate from them is such they can't be objective about anything.

I am far from being a Kwan hater. I just defend Irina.

bartek
06-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Even if that last statement were true, which, as we have seen, it isn't, can't you see the difference between declining to be interviewed and stomping around in public like a sore loser?

The last statement is true. I guess you are a big Michelle fan so you probably watched the whole performance with kiss and cry and everything. Then you should very well know about that: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkLbzBQitg#t=8m42s

Miuchelle's behaviour was totally understandable for me though. She felt heartbroken and didn't want to talk with journalists. Irina felt terrible after her loses at the Olympics and it's not surprising at all either.

smarts1
06-30-2012, 01:17 AM
The triple flip has been a problem for every bronze and silver medalist at the Olympics for the ladies since 1994 IMO.

For example: In 1994, Kerrigan doubled hers and Lulu put a hand down on hers.

In 1998, Kwan had an off landing on hers and Lulu stepped out of hers.

In 2002, Irina was way forward on hers and Kwan fell on it.

In 2006, Sasha stepped out of hers and Irina doubled hers.

In 2010, Mao underrotated hers and Joannie stepped out hers.

pollyanna
06-30-2012, 01:35 AM
If Michelle declined an interview, then what was that link Triple Butz posted here (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3607406&postcount=148)?

bartek
06-30-2012, 01:48 AM
If Michelle declined an interview, then what was that link Triple Butz posted here (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3607406&postcount=148)?

Firstly she declined it but after calming down and catching a breath she agreed. Maybe she talked with her coach and/or family and they helped her calm down and suggested her being interviewed.