PDA

View Full Version : Could YOU be a fair judge?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

skateboy
06-26-2012, 02:09 AM
These "SURVIVOR" polls got me thinking:

If you were a judge for Worlds, Olympics (or any other event), could you score your non-favorites fairly? Be honest, now. ;)

aftershocks
06-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Come on now, "honesty" and "figure skating judging." :rofl: Subjectivity and politics are more closely associated with this sport.

Sure there are some honest judges who try to do their jobs as best they can. Funny tho' they never seem like a happy bunch when they are introduced, especially these days. :lol: Seems like they are being introduced now at events to counter the fact their judging is anonymous.

I would never want to be a figure skating judge. As a fan, I can score all the skaters anyway without having to be an official judge. Of course my scores don't count. Mostly I just try to ignore the official judging and enjoy watching the skaters.

essence_of_soy
06-26-2012, 02:45 AM
I would say, no.

I took a lot of heat in the first round of Survivor for nominating Carolina Kostner (because she didn't include a triple lutz in her World title win).

It reminds me of when I saw her skate to bronze last year in Moscow, I thought her jump landings were messy and all over the place.

So, I found it really difficult to see her put ahead of Leonova who was solid as a rock and electrified the audience.

Yes, there is much more to skating than just the jumps under IJS. But they really should count for something in the final countback. In that instance, I really studied the component breakdown between both skaters to make sense of it all.

Judging is working within a structured framework. But personal taste must surely be a factor also.

Anyway, I was offered the opportunity to trial judge a year or so ago, and to be honest, I appreciate the job judges do. But for me, it would turn a pleasurable spectator sport into Mathematics homework.

flipforsynchro
06-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Yes, since I feel pretty neutral about everyone besides Brezina, I feel like I could score everyone fairly.

Macassar88
06-26-2012, 02:47 AM
I think that I could be a fair judge for the three non-ice dance disciplines as I would be very exact with my analysis of each element and deduct/reward accordingly. However, I don't know if I could handle judging ice dance where there aren't jumps to differentiate between skaters.

Jenna
06-26-2012, 02:50 AM
I think I could be a very fair/competent judge at the the more basic levels with all the unknown names. I have considered it quite a few times, actually.

RumbleFish
06-26-2012, 05:03 AM
It seems like a pretty tough job.
Vanessa Reily had a pretty clear idea about what to look for, but received booing when she gave 4.2s to Surya Bonaly's presentations.

sk8ingcoach
06-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I think i would be a tough but fair judge.. When it comes down to GOE i'm not afraid to give someone a +3 if i think it is worthy. In terms of PCS i think i would either slam their marks or give really high

AusTechSpec
06-26-2012, 05:35 AM
I think i would be a tough but fair judge.. When it comes down to GOE i'm not afraid to give someone a +3 if i think it is worthy. In terms of PCS i think i would either slam their marks or give really high

but Australian judges are afraid to give pluses....

overedge
06-26-2012, 05:43 AM

Well, I certainly doubt you could be a fair judge, given your opinions about adult skaters.

overedge
06-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Seems like they are being introduced now at events to counter the fact their judging is anonymous.

Judges have been introduced at events since the mid-80s (when I first started attending), and probably even before that.

sk8ingcoach
06-26-2012, 05:57 AM

hahahaha yeah i know they are....

AusTechSpec
06-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Well, I certainly doubt you could be a fair judge, given your opinions about adult skaters.

Here we go again... yet your point collapses on itself. If I was going to judge adults unfairly, then I would judge them all unfairly and therefore it would be relative....

and anyone who read that thread, clearly not you, would have seen that I was in support of adult skaters anyway, I even went so far as to re clarify myself 5 or so times, but people like you stick with one simple thought and run with it...

Lets not start it again here as it seemed to offend everyone involved? agreed.

overedge
06-26-2012, 05:59 AM
and anyone who read that thread, clearly not you, would have seen that I was in support of adult skaters anyway, I even went so far as to re clarify myself 5 or so times, but people like you stick with one simple thought and run with it...

You re-clarified yourself by saying that adult skaters were not athletes and should go on "coffee club" sessions. That's not exactly being supportive, and "anyone" other than you could see that.

AusTechSpec
06-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Come on now, "honesty" and "figure skating judging." :rofl: Subjectivity and politics are more closely associated with this sport.

Sure there are some honest judges who try to do their jobs as best they can. Funny tho' they never seem like a happy bunch when they are introduced, especially these days. :lol: Seems like they are being introduced now at events to counter the fact their judging is anonymous.

In most major competitions, or basically any competition that produces protocols for the public it is possible to associate the judges with their judge number so they can be held accountable for their scores....... Major events judges are heavily scrutinized over any discrepancies in the GOEs they give to ensure there is no foul play going on..

All in all i think it is slowly getting fairer, it is just happening more slowly at the National and lower level for most countries.