PDA

View Full Version : Removing mildew stains from clothes?

ngcskate
06-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Does anyone out there have tips on removing dried mildew stains from clothing (specifically - denim)? I had a pair of jeans on the floor in the laundry area and they got wet when a bit of water came in from a heavy rain. I was away for the weekend and didn't see them until they had already air dried and stained. I've tried stain remover and washing again, I've tried soaking them in water/vinegar and washing again and they are still stained. The spots do look a tiny bit lighter but they are still there.

rjblue
06-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Mildew stains aren't really stains. The mold has eaten your cloth and it is permanent. Voice of experience here. :(

tarotx
06-25-2012, 03:09 AM
It's probably there to stay depending how long it's been there. I've gotten the Lemon juice/salt mixed as a paste to work. You have to worry about color change though but if the color doesn't run you leave the paste on for half an hour and then wipe with either a soft brush or a dry cloth. Then flush with running water.

zaphyre14
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
The only thing I know of that removes mildew is bleach and that will definitely destroy the color of the denim. You could try dying the jeans a darker color to see if that covers the mildrew spots.

skatingfan5
06-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Have you tried drying them outside in full sunlight? That's usually the first step recommended for removing mildew -- drying outside in sunlight and then brushing with a stiff brush (outside) to remove the mildew spores. Then washing with all-fabric (i.e. non-chlorine) and the hottest water (to kill any remaining spores). That should reduce the amount of the mildew -- but it might not completely remove the discoloration.

skatesindreams
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Have you tried white vinegar?

TheGirlCanSkate
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
A bunch of options... http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mold-clothes.html

Wiery
06-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Try oxyclean. It works on superficial mildew.