PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Turkey Vultures

skipaway
06-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Just hatched their first egg.

Missouri Turkey Vultures (http://www.ustream.tv/missouriturkeyvultures)

and a fun fact: Who Knew? :yikes::D

The have an interestingly gross defense mechanism: disturb a Turkey vulture, and you might get vomited on. The vomit is disgusting (think about what they eat) and highly acidic.

milanessa
06-22-2012, 01:57 AM
We have turkey vultures here in Florida (for all I know many places might) and they are disgusting. Not only the vomit stuff but their poop is :scream:. They've only been in my yard twice in 15 years so it's not like it's a common happening but :yikes:. We have a lot of squirrels and occasionally one is dead in the yard - that attracts them.

cruisin
06-22-2012, 02:10 AM
We have them around here, too. The red eyes are so hideous! We also have a lot of deer in the area. And sadly they get hit by cars, more often that seems possible. Whreever there are deer carcasses, you will find turkey vultures. They really creep me out!

WindSpirit
06-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Think about what would happen if there were no animals like turkey vultures. I don't know about you, but 'll take vultures over decaying flesh everywhere any day.

Plus turkey vultures are not that bad-looking, except for their heads. Their wingspan is impressive and they look pretty amazing in flight.

milanessa
06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
While I take your point, the buzzards (and crows) will fill the gap. They're not as nasty as turkey vultures. :lol:

cruisin
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Personally, I prefer animal control. :lol: They come around and pick up the animals in the streets. However, if it is in your yard, you have to drag it to the street or you have to pay for removal.

milanessa
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
The only things the city picks up around here are deer and the occasional black bear. Maybe a large dog.

cruisin
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
The only things the city picks up around here are deer and the occasional black bear. Maybe a large dog.

Yea, that's here too. I never see the turkey vultures around the small animals, though. The squirrels and chipmunks seem to disappear at night.

Do you have a lot of deer in Florida? I don't think a day goes by that I don't see at least one deer on the side of the road (hit by a car). We have a real problem with the deer population, but they are such beautiful animals. We had one wander into our yard, after being hit with a hunter's arrow. I was away thankfully. My husband had to arrange to have someone come and take it away. You need to be careful with handling deer, here, because of Lyme Disease. We are a very high risk area for Lyme.

milanessa
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
We have a lot of deer but I don't see too many of them hit. Mostly on one particular rural road that is very narrow, national forest on both sides and it's not lit. I avoid it if I can.

cruisin
06-22-2012, 01:41 PM
We have a lot of deer but I don't see too many of them hit. Mostly on one particular rural road that is very narrow, national forest on both sides and it's not lit. I avoid it if I can.

The area I live in is fairly rural, yes in NJ :)! We have about 12 deer that live in the woods behind our house. They have really adapted to humans being around. I will, sometimes, come home and find them in my driveway. When we first moved here, they would run as soon as they saw the car. Now, I pull down and have to beep my horn to get their attention and move. I think that is part of why we are seeing so many more hit in the streets. A combination of the growing population and the fact that they are not as fearful. Every year they try to lower the population by allowing hunting, in certain areas, and for two weeks the police try to kill some of them. It's sad, but we have a high number of fatal, for the humans, car accidents.

We are also seeing a lot of foxes, in the last few years. They are not dangerous for humans, but small dogs are at risk.

TheGirlCanSkate
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I belonged to a club in high school and our mascot was the turkey vulture! The reason? Even when attacked we look for a peaceful means to resolve a situation.

milanessa
06-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I belonged to a club in high school and our mascot was the turkey vulture! The reason? Even when attacked we look for a peaceful means to resolve a situation.

Did you vomit on your attackers? :lol: ;)

cruisin
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Did you vomit on your attackers? :lol: ;)

And, was it rose petals and cup cakes :D

TheGirlCanSkate
06-23-2012, 05:48 AM
LOL!