PDA

View Full Version : Judge throws out 3 of 51 counts against Sandusky

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

heckles
07-18-2012, 08:52 PM
So did the people who knew & did nothing. I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable.

Survivors of child abuse are sometimes angrier at the enablers than the actual abuser. It usually wasn't too difficult for the victim to determine that the abuser couldn't be trusted. The enablers were sneakier-- they portrayed themselves as the "good guys", yet continually betrayed the victim.

berthesghost
07-21-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/details-of-paterno-familys-internal-report,28851/

LOL

PDilemma
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/details-of-paterno-familys-internal-report,28851/

LOL

That is excellent satire. The kind with truth blatantly shining through yet still funny.

MacMadame
07-22-2012, 06:47 PM
So did the people who knew & did nothing. I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable. The pedophile is sick in the head and/or has urges he is not able or not willing to overcome. The enablers covered it up for monetary or social reasons. They all make me sick, as well as the fans who are now outraged for Paterno & the football program & care nothing for the victims.

So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky? I'm not buying it.

berthesghost
07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
I agree the pedophile is worse but the enablers are also despicable.
So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky?

I'm not buying it.:lol: Not buying it from whom, the imaginary voice in your head? :P

Theatregirl1122
07-22-2012, 10:07 PM
So some dude on the internet who posts that it's wrong to remove Paterno's statue from Penn State is as bad as Sandusky? I'm not buying it.

Taf said those people make her sick. Not that they are as bad as Sandusky.

MacMadame
07-23-2012, 02:46 AM
nm

milanessa
07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
NCAA sanctions have been announced. $60M fine, 4 year ban on post-season play, vacation of all wins from 1998-2011 and more. Harsh but fair IMO. It also gives current football players the opportunity to transfer and be able to play right away at their new school.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

Zemgirl
07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
NCAA sanctions have been announced. $60M fine, 4 year ban on post-season play, vacation of all wins from 1998-2011 and more. Harsh but fair IMO. It also gives current football players the opportunity to transfer and be able to play right away at their new school.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998
The NCAA had said that it would not be equivalent to SMU's death penalty but in some ways it is more severe - specifically the fine, vacating the wins and the longer post-season ban. They didn't shut down the program or take away all the scholarships, but I can't imagine too many people will stick around - and they shouldn't; the players are absolutely not at fault here, and they deserve a chance to start again elsewhere.

It took SMU more than 20 years to get an invite a bowl game, and they never fully recovered from their penalties. And those were NCAA violations, not the ugliness of this case. I think it's safe to say that Penn State football is done.

The moral failings of the men responsible for covering up Sandusky's crimes were already obvious. Although this is nowhere near the same level, they have also done irreversible damage to the program they were supposedly protecting.

skatingfan5
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
It took SMU more than 20 years to get an invite a bowl game, and they never fully recovered from their penalties. And those were NCAA violations, not the ugliness of this case. I think it's safe to say that Penn State football is done.

The moral failings of the men responsible for covering up Sandusky's crimes were already obvious. Although this is nowhere near the same level, they have also done irreversible damage to the program they were supposedly protecting.I don't think it's safe to say that Penn State football is "done" -- unless you mean Penn State football being anywhere near the competitive level it has been in the past. It will surely be "down" for quite a few years, but I expect that it will recover somewhat. Which is only fair, assuming that all those associated and involved with the Sandusky coverup no longer have ties with the university. It doesn't make sense to punish those who had no part in this -- and going forward, I would hope that is the case. Punish those (including the institution) who were responsible for creating/sustaining the environment that allowed such awful crimes to be covered up and continue for so long, but allow for a new beginning in the future.

Zemgirl
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think it's safe to say that Penn State football is "done" -- unless you mean Penn State football being anywhere near the competitive level it has been in the past. It will surely be "down" for quite a few years, but I expect that it will recover somewhat. Which is only fair, assuming that all those associated and involved with the Sandusky coverup no longer have ties with the university. It doesn't make sense to punish those who had no part in this -- and going forward, I would hope that is the case. Punish those (including the institution) who were responsible for creating/sustaining the environment that allowed such awful crimes to be covered up and continue for so long, but allow for a new beginning in the future.
Done in the sense that SMU was done - Penn State might eventually get close to the level it was competitively, but it will take a long, long time for that to happen. What will Penn State have to offer potential recruits, even after the ban ends? They'll be a losing program for a while, and one with a tarnished reputation as well.

As some columnists have noted, these penalties could harm other athletic programs at Penn State, because football brings in a lot of money. But I don't see how the NCAA could have gone about this much differently - they've punished schools for procedural stuff, and this case goes far beyond that.

attyfan
07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I do hope that the current players can find another school ... and soon. It really isn't their fault.

purple skates
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
The next question is what will the Big 10 do with Penn State? Kick them out?

milanessa
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
I do hope that the current players can find another school ... and soon. It really isn't their fault.

No it isn't. Unfortunately, as in any institution, what's done at the top affects the innocent at the bottom. Collateral damage.

missing
07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I have mixed feelings about the NCAA's decision, and I think there are a lot of complications no one (that I've heard) is talking about.

One thing is that Penn State is the biggest and by far the most successful northeastern university football program. People in New York and New Jersey and Pennsylvania are more likely to watch a Penn State bowl game than an Oregon one. There's going to be an effect on TV ratings.

Another is that Penn State now needs to redefine itself as a near Ivy. Ivy league universities have very limited athletic scholarships and don't go to Bowl games, but they do just fine getting recruits, and a handful of their students go on to professional sports, including football. I'm sure Penn State has a strong academic department. It simply needs to promote itself to recruits as a highly academic environment with a strong football history that will be appealing to NFL scouts.

I would have allowed Penn State to keep all its football credentials, but forbidden it to have people at its home games for 3 years. I think that would have been a more visiible punishment, more like a "death sentence." I don't know that people will get that a lousy football program is the direct result of covering up a crime.

And finally, it will be interesting to see what happens the next time a rape scandal affects a major university sports program. An awful lot of univeristy athletes get away with an awful lot of sexual abuse because the university lets the athlete get away with it. If I'm a girl who is vicitimized, I'm heading right over to the police and the NCAA to demand sanctions. And if I'm a girl who is pressured by a coach to have sex with him, I'm making the same trips.