PDA

View Full Version : Children using London tube

JasperBoy
06-21-2012, 06:52 AM
I am sure that someone on FSU will be able to answer my questions.

We are about to visit London with our 9 yr old grandson. My husband and I will be topping up and using our own Oyster cards. I have tried to understand the info on the Underground website regarding children's fares but I am confused.

Do children under 11 travel free on the tube if they are with someone who is using an Oyster card?
If so, how does he get through the turnstile?

Can we get an Oyster card for him upon arrival? The website said it could take a month to process the application, but an adult can get an Oyster card on the spot.

Will he have to pay cash fare or get a day pass?

I am sorry if the questions are dumb, but I would really like to understand the system before we arrive (this Saturday!)

Thanks in advance

allezfred
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
This seems to suggest that they don't need one if travelling with you.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14554.aspx

Your child needs a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard to travel free on Tube, DLR, London Overground and some National Rail routes
If travelling without an adult, or
If they look older than 10

morqet
06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
He'd go through the big gates used for pushchairs/wheelchairs with one of you, and as long as he's with a adult who has an oyster card, there shouldn't be any problems.

JasperBoy
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Thank you both. I thought that was the case, but the website's wording got me muddled.

He will always be with an adult (or his mother will kill me). Maybe he looks more than 10, but he will have his passport with him.

This will be so exciting, and exhausting!