PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hotel suggestions - NYC theatre district area?

Pages : [1] 2

The Accordion
06-21-2012, 03:35 AM
I am hoping for some suggestions for where to stay in NYC- near the theatre district as we will be seeing 1-2 shows a day and I am also hoping to take some dance classes at the Broadway Dance Centre.

It is usually so hot when we are there - early August - that we like to be a hotel that is very near to most of the theatres. That way we can come back to the room in between without too much fuss!

We have stayed in a few different places and can book one of those again - but I would love some other suggestions to consider.

Thanks in advance!

Cachoo
06-21-2012, 08:02 PM
bump (I'm not in the area but was also curious.)

Wyliefan
06-21-2012, 09:01 PM
First of all, which places have you stayed in? I've been in a couple of hotels near Times Square that were clean and reasonably priced, but you may already know of them.

taf2002
06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
First of all, which places have you stayed in? I've been in a couple of hotels near Times Square that were clean and reasonably priced, but you may already know of them.

What do you call reasonably priced? I'm looking at going to NY in Sept & I can't find anything in the theater district or midtown that looks decent that is less than about $385 a night, which with tax will be over $400.

Wyliefan
06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
The Hotel St. James and the Holiday Inn Express Times Square are both cheaper than that. They're a little bare-bones, especially the former, but they're clean, and if you're not going to spend much time in the hotel, it doesn't really matter. At least, it didn't to me.

dinakt
06-21-2012, 09:25 PM
It's not exactly the location you need, but my home away from home in NYC is Milburn Hotel, at 76th between Broadway and West End. I usually need to stay in the Upper West side, and other hotels around there are both much more expensive and the rooms- even smaller. It's no- frills, but the price for the location is excellent, and they have suites with kitchenettes.
When looking for a particular location, I really trust tripadvisor.com reviews; they have not failed me yet.
Good luck!

Cheylana
06-22-2012, 02:47 AM
A friend of mine stayed in Time Square last summer. I'll ask her where she stayed.

star_gazer11
06-23-2012, 02:40 AM
I stayed at the Wyndham Garden on 36th last year, which looks like it's now a Doubletree. It's walkable (maybe about 15 minutes?) but not super close to the theatres.

I snagged that property for $185 for late May last year, via Travelzoo (you'll need to provide an email to log in and see full listings, and yes they spam you with daily emails).

KCC
06-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel, right across from Penn Station and it was okay and reasonable. I would also advise visiting vacation rentals dot com and see if you can rent an apartment. I got an apartment once that slept six of us for less than the cost of a hotel room, and it had a full kitchen -- good for breakfast and snacks, because we always wanted to eat good dinners out. The downside was that it had only one bathroom, but we made it work because of the savings.
Location was great and the building was secure.

milanessa
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe the Pennsylvania has changed but my experience was that it was dirty and scary. They didn't have employees on duty at night (not even at reception) they just locked the doors and went home. It was cheap, though.

BelleBway
06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Maybe the Pennsylvania has changed but my experience was that it was dirty and scary. They didn't have employees on duty at night (not even at reception) they just locked the doors and went home. It was cheap, though.

My boss- who is not very picky- had a similar experience. After listening to his description, I'd never recommend staying there at any price. :scream: (iirc, his party switched to another hotel) Of course this is 2nd hand info, but the hotel seems to have poor ratings on tripadvisor.com and I usually find their reviews to be very helpful.

I don't have any specific recommendations; I love the Marriott Marquis but it's $$$$ unless you happen to come across a special.

The Accordion
06-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!

Jayar
06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
The Park Central is where I stay every time I go to NYC when friends can't put me up. You can almost always get cheap rates on hotels.com the day that you need accommodations.

KCC
06-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Good to know that it has changed since 2002.... I won't be going back. Really, try the vacation rentals by owner website.... My experience in NYC was also about 5-6 years ago, but it sure was a great deal. I really liked having a lot of space.

fsfann
06-24-2012, 01:47 AM
We've been there 2 times int he last couple of years.

Our favourite (amazing spot!) was the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. It is literally one block from times square... We stayed there 3 years ago and it was $225 a night. This year when we went it was around $350 a night - so we took a pass. Clean, great beds, friendly staff etc.

This time we stayed at the Candlewood Suites. This was on 39th st... so a bit of a walk (still not bad though.. only 7 or 8 mins). While it wasn't quite as nice as the other, it was still a clean spot and the rooms were fine. There is no 'housekeeping' in this place, as it tends to be a longer-term place to stay at. Our rooms for this place averaged around $225 per night... Our first night was on the first floor (we arrived quite late) but they assured us they would move us the next day. Our first night stay wasn't great... loud, room not overly 'clean'... just not that comfortable.. but on day 2 we moved up to the 28th or 29th floor (I think) and it was so much better. Very friendly staff etc.

Hope this helps!